Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Education and awareness in children

Just passing thoughts without qualification in what happens now.

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Feb-2020 09:14 Message #4770140
Following on from WH thread that developed from another thread on the BBC and Beach introducing YouTube and Bris mentioning TED talks and BBC v TED is apples and pears.

The point I was trying to make or raise questions on are because YouTube, including TED and BBC are obviously different mediums of relaying information, but in my opinion our recent era of children are much more subject to media with an agenda, not to just give information, but influence how people and children think.

I have no evidence that for example newspapers from the 50's & 60's were more genuine and honest, maybe even more innocent to how material is heavily marketed today. We also have a myriad of attainable qualifications in marketing to sell we, the public, what we buy, influence what we need and what we think.

I looked at Facebook this morning and the first thing to flash up is a saying about how kids are being told what they should "need" and that we have enough "stuff" as a result of marketing. Then on another page my Wildlife Trust pages come up with how in schools, would it not be good if children got one hour of nature experience a day.

Add to this, walking home with a friend past a local secondary school I disheartened the amount of rubbish lying along the school fencing and pavements and mentioned to my friend how at my school we had to go out periodically to collect rubbish around school, but could this be safe today where the rubbish might include different more harmful items.

Even prior to the above thoughts I had thought that philosophy would be more useful in school than a religious lesson. Since I could read from age 3 I used to really enjoy and grasp the meaning of Aesop's Fables which I think is a really simple forerunner to philosophy.

I also reflected how kids only have so many hours in a day to do all these things but perhaps these days children might benefit, and society might benefit from a different slant on what children born in the last decade should be taught. I don't know what the current curricula demands but I do think learning to be aware of fake news and discerning what to believe and question what they read and hear is more important than perhaps so much time dedicated to maths. Other recent calls to change is to bring back domestic science, cooking and money management.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Feb-2020 19:25 Message #4770228
Most schools do have safer Internet lessons starting at 10yr olds, which seems to be the age most kids start wanting a mobile, a lot of primary schools now have educational apps for homework, schools have apps for dinner money, holidays, communication of alsorts, I hate it, the alternative which I insist on is a letter, but that's seen to be old fashioned and against our carbon footprint, luckily enough they still encourage pt, football, swimming, and healthy eating
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 9-Feb-2020 21:42 Message #4770238
I admit to not reading the whole opening post... I wouldn't retain it all if I did... Go back to TV in the 50's, 60's and even the 70's for just as much brainwashing as there is today..ww were programmed back then to be perfect husbands or perfect doting wives. We were programmes to be stay at home, always pretty for the hubby, always to do his bidding and kero the kids quiet. He, bless him, had to be the king of DIY, finances, earning a decent income, head of the house, the organiser etc etc... We were literally shoved into a one size fits all model... And out parents generally bought into it.
Today it's not much different re mind bending..
Not just kids being told they need this or that, but their parents made to feel unfit for not providing it.
It doesn't matter where the pressure comes from, the fact that companies profit from this mindfeckery is immoral in itself.
We need kids to be free thinking, autonomous people by the time they become our doctors, bankers, politicians, carers etc etc
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Feb-2020 21:57 Message #4770240
Clocky,

I did not receive any of the programming you mention except for my mother was always there, along with my grandmother and grandfather as we all lived together. We didn't have a TV, a phone or even mains water!

My grandfather was a retired engineer who was my pal, and my dad was a mule spinner in a cotton mill...and my mother wore the pants metaphorically speaking. If my dad tried to do any DIY he suffered an injury that drew blood, he never read a book though my mother did cook the food, usually potato pie kind of food. Gran and mum did the garden, dad slept after a day in the mill and grandpa had me glued to him doing repair work with dangerous things flashing and no goggles kind of thing.

Yes, I did have dolls and a doll's pram, but in 1957 I had a boy doll, a black doll, a lego set, a train set, and dressed in beige sock so as mum said, they didn't show the dirt. By the time I was 4 I could read fluently, do embroidery, knit, and "help" grandpa with his wet and dry bodywork in his garage on his old blue Riley.

I was a genuine free child brought up in the country until we moved to a corner shop up a back street but clearly did not get a stereotypical upbringing you mention.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 9-Feb-2020 22:04 Message #4770241
And there in is the difference between media and non :)

I had parents that pedalled the rot they heard and read. In fairness to them both, they were more relaxed with their kids than their parents were with them
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 9-Feb-2020 22:09 Message #4770242
Funnily enough, Tuesday 11th Feb is Safer Internet Day this year.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Feb-2020 23:04 Message #4770248
Yes nigel, a field football stadium is hosting a workshop for it, the kid is going to that,
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 9-Feb-2020 23:27 Message #4770251
Clocky looking at reruns of eg 1970s non PC TV shows (Alright in the 70s) personally I feel we simply saw all the stylised pseudo Hollywood stereotypes as purely artificial and having nil connection to the real world

Today's media does of course show everyone that there is far more to the world than we each personally experience and I guess in some people that can generate feelings of inadequacy etc as we see with increasing numbers of both makes and females electing plastic surgery etc.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Feb-2020 20:06 Message #4770325
Love the cool hat Nigel !!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Feb-2020 20:15 Message #4770326
Episode 2,

However, after moving into the corner shop on a cobbled street and my mother working 11 hours a day and dad still in the mill, then the power station raking tar, my mother started on "black bombers" to lose weight. Legal amphetamines in that era, so she was so wound up at night she couldn't sleep.

I spent time under the table with Butch my dog avoiding my parents fighting every week-end, but although only influenced by Andy Pandy and the highlight of Looby Loo, being in a corner grocery shop meant mum was the first port of call for help when battered wives needed a safe space, in my bed with me!

By 14 I had a full baby sitting round and earned a few bob at 50p a time.
For breakfast I had either a Mars Bar or a hot custard off Oldfield's bakery down the road as our shop was first delivery. Getting myself to school on time at around age 8 didn't always work so the delivery van might run me to school where I used to knock on the head master's door for the cane which I had 13 times just for being 5 mins late.

I guess my childhood moved on a level after the country side but still no Internet or TV other than parents maybe watching Coronation St in the era when Ena Sharples would be ordering her stout.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »