Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Storm Ciara

Severe weather warning across all of the UK

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 8-Feb-2020 19:30 Message #4770096
A couple of weeks ago, a local storm sent several of my neighbours roof slates smashing down onto my recently purchased MPV vehicle so it now has the added character of several deep gashes and as many dents spread across the front of the bonnet. (Those slates might have killed a person if they had fallen onto someone’s head).

Just saying … With storm Ciara building, now would be a good time to check your property, garden, courtyard ... or fields … to either secure, tie down, bring in or, otherwise, attend to anything that might get thrown about by winds of up to … I don’t know … 80 mph?

I know it is customary to dismiss such weather forecasts BUT this category orange storm, (the biggest or worst for at least 7 years), is the first category orange storm to be described as a, wholly, UK wide threat so I’m guessing we are likely to be in for something quite special.

The swirling round "eye" currently in the Irish sea, (and being presented on weather radar maps), is so big that it is liable to cover the whole of England and Wales if and when it makes its way to the UK. (Check it out for yourselves).

A sobering thought?

By this time tomorrow, (or at least by the end of the weekend), we are likely to hear about several deaths and, probably, one or more of those deaths will have been caused by someone driving in the path of a fallen tree that would have had it’s roots loosened by the force of the winds and the storm. So … even after the storm passes, be on your guard and look out for suspect trees, (capable of falling), while driving in rural areas over the next few days … just to be on the safe side.
---
I'm planning to take some 3D video and photos from the piers at Bridport harbour tomorrow ... if I can get close enough to the boiling sea without putting myself in too much danger.

Report back here with your stories if you experience the sharp end of storm Ciara.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 8-Feb-2020 19:34 Message #4770098
Well tied down bits in the garden today and I, m hoping to bike ride tomorrow morning it will either blow me there or back lol
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 8-Feb-2020 19:58 Message #4770101
Yeah looks like she might mess up my second meet with a guy who helped rebuild Collosus at Bletchley park... genius as well as kind and considerate..
So I'm the one that'll be huffing and puffing...
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 8-Feb-2020 20:00 Message #4770102
Take extra care tomorrow, Euro. x
---
I've just checked tide times and the moon's phase and it looks like we'll get flooding and all sorts of problems here because we've got a 4 metre tide due to it being a full moon with high tide an hour before sunrise at 06:25 am tomorrow. That's the best time for me to be there with my cameras but do I really want to get up at dawn on such a windswept and stormy morning?

I bet the stormy scenes will be spectacular all along our Chesil coast so I really should make the effort but ... :)
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 8-Feb-2020 20:18 Message #4770105
The weather is very calm here at the moment and I’m sure it will lull many into a false sense of security.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-Feb-2020 20:36 Message #4770106
All is calm & quiet up here in the Chilterns at the moment. In fact it doesnt seem like a storm is pending at all.... but who knows...... If it happens, we will have no electricity or phones again.

Hope everyone is safe & stays that way

V x
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 8-Feb-2020 20:57 Message #4770111
We, ve had some rain and now wind is picking up
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 8-Feb-2020 21:15 Message #4770113
Rainfall radar website shows rainfall "cloud" and it is stretched the whole length and height of the UK looking like one big cloud ... which I guess it is!

Rainfall radar link here. (Below)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1581151800&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01

And here is a similar map from MetCheck showing a very intimidating animated recording, (from 5pm - 8:40pm), of that same HUGE cloud shifting ominously across the UK in a North West direction.

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/radar.asp

Oh ... and as of that time period, the bottom tail end of this huge weather system actually misses the whole of Devon and Cornwall and my West Dorsetas the bottom edge of it travels neatly up towards the Bristol Channel just off the North Devon coast.

I'm sure the South coast seas will be furious though despite the storm not hitting that area directly ... not yet anyway.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 8-Feb-2020 21:20 Message #4770115
Error. :)

I meant North East direction ... I think!

God. That MetCheck animation is amazing.

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/radar.asp

And there could be more of the storm currently "out of the picture" that might get us in the South West later.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 8-Feb-2020 22:10 Message #4770121
It just said 80mph on the telly. Coming in a fury across the Atlantic and Ireland, N. Ireland. I'm glad it wasn't last weekend, some planes are being grounded, from crossing the Irish Sea. Nevvver cross the Atlantic in the winter, you could end up detouring all over the place.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 8-Feb-2020 22:59 Message #4770125
Not looking forward to it either Beach as I'm in Freshwater on the IOW, so only about a mile from the sea. Already had one fence down this year with the last storm we had so this will be a nightmare:(
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 8-Feb-2020 23:42 Message #4770130
Yes, Harley. The wind is blowing right towards Freshwater as it races across the English channel - just about head on.

Just heard on LBC radio that it'll start to get really windy from around 2am onwards Sunday morning so I guess the storm hasn't really started yet!

I bet the sea / ocean will be going mental tomorrow.

Lets just hope people coming out of pubs a bit worse for wear at midnight don't play around on sea walls and promenades and piers because, sadly, in these conditions, we often hear about someone or other being swept out to sea in such circumstances.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 8-Feb-2020 23:52 Message #4770131
My daughter and her husband plus her mother in law are at the moment in Northern Ireland .Shall be glad when they are back home tomorrow safe and well.
Have not looked at the weather forcast yet

Leogirl,
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 9-Feb-2020 00:17 Message #4770132
"Bridport, Dorset

Upgraded from Yellow to Amber alert

Amber warning of wind
Updated 8 February at 09:43 GMT From 08:00 GMT on Sun 9 February To 21:00 GMT on Sun 9 February

Storm Ciara will bring a spell of very strong winds. Disruption to travel is likely during Sunday.

- Flying debris could lead to Injuries or danger to life.

- Some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs expected.

- Longer journey times and cancellations, as road, rail, air and ferry services affected.

- Some roads and bridges closed.

- Power cuts with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage.

- Injuries and danger to life from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties."

---
My local forecast suggests maximum wind speeds of 67mph from 10am till noon on Sunday though speeds approaching that will arrive and continue before and after that time period. It's just an estimate / forecast but we might as well say we should expect winds of up to 70 mph tomorrow ... certainly here in the South West.

Possibly too fierce for me to venture out on my own promenades and piers. :-(

Incidentally, 67 mph is a MONSTER of a gale and officially labelled a storm. I mean; A moderate gale, (but a gale none the less), ranges from 32 - 38 mph, a fresh gale measures from 39 - 46 mph, a strong gale, often called a severe gale, comes in at between 47 - 54 mph and a whole gale, an official storm, typically ranges from 55 - 63 mph ... so our 67 mph forecast is right up there ... and, if I am not mistaken, I read that, elsewhere in the UK, some areas may experience 80 mph winds.

Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 9-Feb-2020 00:50 Message #4770134
Stay safe Beach. Just hope the fences do manage to stay up this time:)
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 9-Feb-2020 09:41 Message #4770147
My fences are already down and wind still howling.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 9-Feb-2020 10:31 Message #4770154
Extremely windy here on the East Coast ... a wheely bin has just blown over..........
worried about high tide ..
Not well at the mo so dont want to deal with another flood warning....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Feb-2020 10:41 Message #4770157
Only another few hours to go now, the worst of it should be over by late afternoon, its been pretty crazy here, but sadly this sort of storm is becoming normal for us although not often this long in duration. We just had a shower that was more like someone emptying a bucket.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 9-Feb-2020 11:10 Message #4770166
Not much rain here....more a drizzle, but the wind is making up for it.

My neighbours adjoining fence is swaying back and forward....
It nearly fell on my head last year !

It was only put up last year.
This is what happens when tight fisted landlords only pay for flimsy cheap panels that don't last five minutes, so it's out of the hands of the tenant currently occupying the flat.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 9-Feb-2020 11:22 Message #4770170
Yep. Extremely stormy here now.

I drove down to Bridport harbour at 9:30 am and ventured out along the promenade and piers to video and photograph the boiling seas but the wind and rain threatened to ingress into my camera kit so the photos / videos I got were really disappointing due to the haste I had to deploy.

There was one moment where I might have taken a 'viral' style video ... if I had been braver. :-)

At the far end of the promenade, I noticed a pint can of Stella being blown about and rolling around in the road ... a road that was full of foam coming off the sea.

It looked "as if" the whole 150 metre stretch of tarmac was suffering from a huge spillage of lager and if I had been able to zoom in and video that tumbling can and then panned around to look along the promenade road, it might have looked as if the whole scene was causes by the tipped up can I first saw. :)

Well ... maybe you would have needed to be there to see it. And maybe I should have taken that video.
---
Yes. The worst of it is expected to be between now and around 3pm.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 9-Feb-2020 12:30 Message #4770180
after walking the dog i had to get the ladders out to secure the roof on my outhouse, the old fixings had rusted through leaving half of the roof flapping in the wind.
also had to run a couple of screws through my front fence which had become detached from the post.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 9-Feb-2020 13:10 Message #4770187
Just heard from one of my daughters in Essex that a tree down in Messing, near Tiptree and another one down at nearby Prested Hall. Best not to go out, unless you happen to have very large trees close to your house, in which case you may wish to escape quick.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 9-Feb-2020 14:49 Message #4770201
Quite surprised that it was so bad in E Yorkshire because storms and winds usually blown themselves out over the Pennines but it's been pretty bad with a massive amount of rain. Several roads in the area completely closed including the Humber Bridge, not only closed to high sided vehicles but to ALL vehicles and pedestrians, only the second time it's happened in the whole of it's 39 year life. Several trees down on both main and side roads and no doubt the full extent of any damage will reach tomorrow's local Mail.

At the moment it's subsided and is very quiet. The sun is out and so bright I've had to close one curtain to see this screen. Hopefully that is the end and it's now blown off elsewhere. Hope the Bridge is opened by tomorrow because I've planned to meet WLKaren in Grimsby for lunch and a wander.

I must go and look at the field behind the house which has been flooded since September and only dried up earlier this week. It was a massive 'lake' and teeming with birds which of course have left mess and probably disease in their wake. It's a favourite dog walking spot but I have heard that a couple of dogs have been taken ill due to running from the drier path into the water and drinking it. The mud is unbelievable.

Hey ho, British weather!
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 9-Feb-2020 15:41 Message #4770207
Quite surprised that it was so bad in E Yorkshire because storms and winds usually blown themselves out over the Pennines but it's been pretty bad with a massive amount of rain. Several roads in the area completely closed including the Humber Bridge, not only closed to high sided vehicles but to ALL vehicles and pedestrians, only the second time it's happened in the whole of it's 39 year life. Several trees down on both main and side roads and no doubt the full extent of any damage will reach tomorrow's local Mail.

At the moment it's subsided and is very quiet. The sun is out and so bright I've had to close one curtain to see this screen. Hopefully that is the end and it's now blown off elsewhere. Hope the Bridge is opened by tomorrow because I've planned to meet WLKaren in Grimsby for lunch and a wander.

I must go and look at the field behind the house which has been flooded since September and only dried up earlier this week. It was a massive 'lake' and teeming with birds which of course have left mess and probably disease in their wake. It's a favourite dog walking spot but I have heard that a couple of dogs have been taken ill due to running from the drier path into the water and drinking it. The mud is unbelievable.

Hey ho, British weather!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Feb-2020 18:25 Message #4770213
Its mostly blown itself out now, its still wet and windy but normal strong winds and rain, luckily everything seems to have survived, shed roof's still there, so is the greenhouse.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »