Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Photography

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-Feb-2020 08:24 Message #4770055
Do you enjoy photography? It’s so easy these days with almost everyone owning a camera or camera phone.

Do you capture magic moments or just click away randomly?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Feb-2020 11:21 Message #4770073
I don't have a camera, my ex was into photography and tried to get me into it too, but I was really bad at it, possibly because of having an astigmatism, so I ended up being his sherpa helping to carry all his equipment about and he had a lot of big cameras. My dad was into photography and everywhere we went as a child there had to be a roll of film filled with shots of me and my mum standing in front of things, it really put me off for years and I still don't like having my photo taken and avoid it whereever possible and rip up or delete photo's of myself if I find them.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 8-Feb-2020 19:26 Message #4770095
I don't use my camera often, only special moments, which mostly are forwarded to me anyway.
Love receiving pictures of my greatgranddaughter.
Hate having my photo taken.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Feb-2020 13:02 Message #4770295
Do you capture magic moments or just click away randomly?

When I take the photo it’s to capture the magic moment but the result does not confirm this.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 10-Feb-2020 16:16 Message #4770300
I’m the same HOW. I can be in a group when we all take similar photos but mine never have that special something that others manage to capture. It doesn’t stop me taking lots of photos for my own pleasure though.
Male
In-Focus  Male  the West Midlands 12-Feb-2020 23:13 Message #4770460
People, Music bands, water drops, smoke sticks, miniature models on fruit and anything technical.
The secret to photography is make the composition yours, hi definition and learn how to manipulate the image in photoshop.

Yes on small screen a jpg looks okay for pleasure photos, but tif and mainly raw are the way to go forward for those massive printouts :D
Female
Woosey  Female  North Yorkshire 13-Feb-2020 00:09 Message #4770465
In Focus you take brilliant photos, you can even make me look good on a photo lol.

Woo xxx
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Feb-2020 10:57 Message #4770495
Isn't photoshopping images cheating a bit? I know conventional photographic development gave the ability to crop and stuff, but if someones photoshoping everythings then arn't they becoming better photoshoppers than photographers?
Male
In-Focus  Male  the West Midlands 14-Feb-2020 01:09 Message #4770609
Hi Wonderoushen, Photoshopping obviously has many layers and layers are used to build up a picture similar to a artist.

When you take a photo using Raw the bit rate is higher than a jpg so it captures more information. This enables brightness, contrast, highlighting, shadows, clarity, colour, sharpness etc to be manipulated and more pleasing to the eye, but is not really creating something that was not there already.
Photoshopping also allows creativity such as panorama wide captures, focus stacking, Exposure Bracketing and many more ways of using a camera to its full capability but always using the multiple captures for manipulation of the original data.
The fact a image can be adulterated is probably where cheating comes in such as adding items to the image that was never captured and some would say removing items such as skin blemishes, tones, body features, teeth alterations etc etc.
When I see some photos taken on phones using applications I know they will soon be lost or deleted.
I have every picture I have ever taken, many of which have been used in media publications and will be passed on to my son.
Photoshop gives me my brushes to paint my picture on my canvas :D
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Feb-2020 10:58 Message #4770656
Hi In-Focus, I understood the individual words in your reply to me, but not when most of them are put together, Exposure Bracketing and focus stacking being 2 examples. As I've said before I don't have a camera, and whilst I do appreciate some photo's, landscapes and wildlife ones, its not my thing at all and I have tried. When I look at an image I need to feel some some life to it and so many photo's even good ones don't speak to me, they seem flat and lifeless, devoid of an essential something. Snaps just annoy me randomly taking photos of stuff and people, I think people should spend more time enjoying whats in front of them, like thier dinner thats going cold, rather than taking photos to post online.

I also hate having my picture taken, especially without my consent and even more when its posted online again without my consent, it feels so ubiquitous and an infringment on my privacy.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 15-Feb-2020 07:16 Message #4770751
Photography offers something to almost everyone. Most youngsters have a camera phone before they reach their teens and can already do many of the technical things including editing so it’s something they can develop if they wish and many might find they have artistic ability or begin to appreciate the art in others.
There is still something about using a larger, conventionally sized camera, which gives more pleasure than a tiny camera phone.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Feb-2020 17:37 Message #4770795
My ex was into cameras and photography his camera was so big and heavy that anything more than a few yards from the car became unphotegenic, I think those big cameras are alright if you want to sit on a hill top half the night and photograph the sunrise or something, but they're not exactly pocket sized or something that can be used at a moments notice.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »