Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What is art?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-Feb-2020 08:21 Message #4770053
Is it paintings? Do you understand abstract? A favourite painter?

Sculpture?

Is it all hype!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Feb-2020 11:31 Message #4770075
Don't ask a small question will you CHIOG? People have been discussing this probably since the first daubs on cave walls or carvings in bone and ivory that wern't purely functional.

I don't try and understand art, particularly abstract stuff, theres art I like and art I don't like, but I do enjoy looking at it and have enjoyed creating it within my extremely limited capability. I don't have nearly as much art as I would like, for lack of space and because others in the house arn't always so keen on what I like as I'm not on what they like.

I do think the decorative arts are often ignored, things that straddle the boarders or art and craft, I do think we've lost an aesthetic sence particularly in architecture, why do so many of our public building have to be so ugly? I do wonder what effect being surrounded by ugliness has on a persons health, both mental and physical?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 8-Feb-2020 12:08 Message #4770080
Paintings, sculpture, architecture. I do like the classics, but also Lowry, in the flesh his work has an almost hypnotic fascination, even though it's so simplistic. Like Baroque, Romanesque, medieval, favourite sculpture has to be Bernini.

Modern art is a different concept I think. Can't say I understand it. I was told, by an artist friend, you don't have to 'like' it, it's individual taste, it either gets your attention and says something or it doesn't.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 8-Feb-2020 19:31 Message #4770097
I'm an artist....I was inspired by Tracey Emin
I follow in her steps most days, only I end up making my bed ;)
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-Feb-2020 20:53 Message #4770110
I am an artist in real life, but the traditional type. I think some of my paintings are still shown in the gallery pages on here. I dont get so much time here on the farm, as I did before I met my present partner. I often feel very frustrated because of it and keep vowing to get going again and spend some time painting, but other things always seems to take over
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 9-Feb-2020 00:28 Message #4770133
I've just spent 10 minutes perusing your photo gallery, V.

I'm VERY impressed! :)
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 9-Feb-2020 19:23 Message #4770226
I admire art of all types. Paintings especially as there are so many of them, so many artists, so many styles. I prefer paintings of a recognisable subject whether that is portrait, scenery or still life. I haven’t seen many paintings which can portray action. I also like Dali’s work and visited an exhibition of his at the Tate Modern a while ago.
I have a few sculptures which I bought because they appealed to me but I’ve no idea what was in the sculptor’s head at the time.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 10-Feb-2020 06:00 Message #4770259
I hadn’t thought back as far as the early cave man. Throughout history people and tribes have used decorative artwork.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 10-Feb-2020 07:54 Message #4770260
I wonder is some art is appreciated because we are told it’s good rather than something tangible. Why is a particular painting worth millions when another so similar that only top experts can tell the difference can be worth nothing.
I suppose the same applies to diamonds.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Feb-2020 11:20 Message #4770273
I guess it to do with labeling, I could potentially make a replica of a designer outfit or shoes, handbag or something and people might not be able to tell the difference, but as long as I don't try and tell people its designer branded its ok, its a copy. Copying in this context is a form of flattery, that people want to learn your style of painting and technique. I think theres a lot of "emporors new clothes" in art, with pretentious people being pretentious and telling everyone who asks 'WTF is that?' that they don't understand, are philistines whatever, but it still boils down to do you like it, does it speak to you in some way, even a way thats uncomfortable? I make a distinction between what I'd like to live with and what I'd rather see in a gallery, I prefer something restful in my home, I have a print of Bruigel the Elder's The Hunters Returning, I think its called, it a stalwart of xmas cards, of hunters coming home and standing on a hill looking down on the villagers skating, snowballing etc. I love it because I feel that I can stand beside them and experience the sights, sounds and smells of the village, feel what they feel, returning home with food for the pot. I don't care that its not original, that its a print, I just want to enjoy it, I don't want to "possess" it, guard it jealously so as no one can see it without my say so, that a mentality thats entirely foreign to me.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 10-Feb-2020 12:07 Message #4770282
I think one either appreciates art or one doesn't. You're 'arty' or not. You look at a painting, da Vinci for example and are stopped in your tracks or not.

But maybe like Shakespeare or even Chaucer you have to know what you're looking at, understand what you're reading. They're not considered geniuses for nothing. Shakespeare plays are clever and insightful, same as art, you need to know what is going on in the picture, there's always more than is seen on the surface.

The designer market is varied, but the top end is definitely wow, imo. A close look at some of their clothes, handbags is exquisite in the detail, finish, material, beyond my budget obviously, but also works of art.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Feb-2020 12:57 Message #4770291
I think theres a lot of "emporors new clothes" in art, with pretentious people being pretentious and telling everyone who asks 'WTF is that?' that they don't understand, are philistines whatever,

Plenty of those around.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Feb-2020 19:03 Message #4770313
I think art is still one of those things certain groups don't feel belongs to them, theatre and classical music, particularly opera is seen as something for posh people, I find that very sad, art is for everyone and what you hang on your walls is what you enjoy looking at.

I wonder if we marvel at designer clothes and shoes because most of what us ordinary mortals are offered is of such poor quality, fit and really badly finished, often the fabric choice is poor too. I often look at or try on clothes and wonder whether they were ever intended to fit a human being?
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire 10-Feb-2020 19:21 Message #4770316
At the National Art Gallery in Dublin, a husband and wife were staring at a portrait that had them completely confused. The painting depicted three black men totally naked, sitting on a bench.

Two of the figures had black penises, but the one in the middle had a pink penis. The curator of the gallery realized that they were having trouble interpreting the painting and offered his personal assessment.

He went on for over half an hour explaining how it depicted the sexual emasculation of African Americans in a predominately white patriarchal society . "In fact", he pointed out, "some serious critics believe that the pink penis also reflects the cultural and sociological oppression experienced by gay men in contemporary society".

After the curator left, an Irishman approached the couple and said, "Would you like to know what the painting is really about?"

"Now why would you claim to be more of an expert than the curator of the gallery", asked the couple?

"Because I am the artist, who painted the picture", he replied, "In fact, there are no African Americans depicted at all.

"They're just three Irish coal miners. The guy in the middle went home for lunch."

Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire 10-Feb-2020 19:41 Message #4770319
Very good Maglorian.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »