Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

New kid on the block.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-Feb-2020 08:19 Message #4770052
Have you the new kid on the block meeting new neighbours or work colleagues? Was it a worrying thought? How did you cope?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 8-Feb-2020 10:49 Message #4770069
Just got on and did it.

probably due to being ex RAF and moving around every couple of years.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Feb-2020 11:13 Message #4770071
Sorry CHIOG, but I'm not quite understanding what you mean, do you mean when I was a child or when I was an adult?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 8-Feb-2020 19:23 Message #4770093
Not getting this CHIOG either ??
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-Feb-2020 20:49 Message #4770109
Yes, I have been the new kid on the block a few times. I have been fairly cool and calm on the outside but a fluttering wreck on the inside. I put up a good front..
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 8-Feb-2020 21:48 Message #4770118
Not really bothered. I don't think I fully understand the phrase perhaps. Possibly all you have to do is smile and look interested? Through in a comment or something. Not sure what is meant by block. I think I'm past the age of caring, more interested observing perhaps.
Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire 8-Feb-2020 23:09 Message #4770126
Apparently the saying goes back as far as 1940 and refers to a person of any age being the latest person to join a particular group, school or workplace.

I struggled a bit starting a new school halfway through a term but in later life, working and moving home, I’ve had no problems.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire 9-Feb-2020 09:44 Message #4770149
Victoriana I have also been the new kid on the block and have felt much as you have. Outwardly confident but much less so inside.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Feb-2020 10:29 Message #4770153
Is a new kid on the block a chip off the old block?.....

If I was a new chip off the old block....would everyone block me?....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Feb-2020 10:46 Message #4770158
I'm a bit like Vic, cool and calm on the outside but a fluttery wreck inside. School was the worst one as I'd never been in a group of children before, I think I just retreated into my shell, a shell made of confusion and feeling lonely in a crowd for the first time.

Now I don't expect to make friends or anything, I just turn up do what I need to do and go home, I can put on a good front, but thats all it is.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 9-Feb-2020 12:28 Message #4770178
Aaaah I'm with the programme now !!
I'm soft centred but hard on the outside.....depending on the situation.

I don't attend " meetings " like I used to when working, but even then, I might be shaking on the inside but always showed an exterior air of confidence and never backed down from a situation if in the right, but always did my research before hand to make sure I was right. ;)

I can give the impression of being very confident, but that's not always the case.
I know as I've got older I won't allow anyone to push me around anymore.
Never felt I have to be popular or follow the trend.
Take me or leave me...
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 12-Feb-2020 06:35 Message #4770403
I can give the impression of being very confident, but that's not always the case.

I give that impression too. Often friends have said they envy my confidence but it’s just that I don’t share my worries.
Most people are pleasant and polite so meeting new colleagues isn’t too scary!
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 13-Feb-2020 06:28 Message #4770471
I’m not overly confident or uncomfortable when meeting strangers or being in a new environment but I am relaxed so it’s not a problem and I quite enjoy some of those situations.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »