Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What would you like to see more of

on TV?

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
7-Feb-2020 19:11 Message #4770026
Thinking on a previous thread about quality TV is there anything you think is ripe for good quality TV adaptation?

I'd like to see more good historical drama, I think the lives of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine would be good, few know much about the period and two lives could hardly be more exciting, dramatic and international.

I'd love to see Jack Hight's Saladin trilogy done too and I think the time is right for Paul Doherty's Brother Athelstan novels to be made into a TV series.

On a modern note I think Elly Grifiths, Ruth Galloway novels would make great TV.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
7-Feb-2020 20:05 Message #4770033
I'm patiently waiting, year on year, for some new media concern to lease the Big Brother franchise from Endemol and return the king of reality shows back to our screens.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
7-Feb-2020 21:31 Message #4770038
I like period dramas. I love Escape to the Country, Grand Designs, the garden programmes, and some of the cookery ones too. Apart from these, I dont really like TV.

I really dont like soaps and I hate all the swearing that goes on in them
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
8-Feb-2020 10:10 Message #4770065
More sport please.
;-))
Football, cricket, rugby, athletics, F1
Luckily this year we have a bumper crop of gold standard events to look forward to including the
Tokyo Olympics & Paralympics and Euro 2020 with multiple Europe wide venues and final at Wembley,

You can't get enough of a good thing.
!!
Female
8-Feb-2020 11:07 Message #4770070
I never got the whole big brother thing and was quite glad to no longer have it cluttering up viewing schedules.

I'd like less sport, I hope its going to be a good summer for gardening as it looks there will be little for me to watch over the summer.

But what would people like to see adapted and made into telly?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
8-Feb-2020 11:57 Message #4770079
Suspense thrillers, Killing Eve was excellent. Old fashioned comedy, I liked 'Allo 'Allo, Last of the Summer Wine. I'm not always keen on their book adaptations, you just can't reproduce the written word as portrayed by the author, though Pride & Prejudice was excellent.

Documentaries, family drama, wildlife. Not a fan of soaps much.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
8-Feb-2020 15:52 Message #4770087
I would love to see a dedicated channel just for football, also one for soaps and reality rubbish but it wont ever happen, mores the pity.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
9-Feb-2020 09:36 Message #4770145
It must be difficult to produce programmes which are a bit different but not be too far from reality. Dr Who, Peaky Blinders. Pride and Prejudice, Blue Planet, Gavin and Stacey, Game of Thrones, Handmaids Tale, West Wing and dozens of others have been well produced and brought enjoyment to millions.
More quality of programmes of dramas, documentaries and comedies and fewer of the so-calked reality programmes than couldn’t be less like reality if they tried.
Female
9-Feb-2020 10:36 Message #4770156
A lot of reality show seem more like freak shows than any sort of reality as most of us understand it, good reality shows I can deal with like Bake Off and stuff like that as people are doing something real and its more about a skill than a "personality".
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
9-Feb-2020 10:49 Message #4770159
My 'TV' nowadays is mostly internet based.....I don't need the 'normal' TV.....

I plan my own schedules.....or just go unplanned and see where it takes me.....

I don't know how I ever managed before the internet....

I mainly use Youtube...Dailymotion....Putlocker.....but there are many others as well....

I could watch them for the rest of my life and still not watch everything that I wanted....

Yesterday I watched a good drama about Dr Shipman from the early 2000's....James Bolam played the evil Shipman really well....

Today I'm watching a couple of films.....and also all the interviews from last nights boxing.......Well done Terri Harper....World Champion.....She is a fantastic young fighter....23 years old....a quiet shy girl.....but explosive in the ring....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
9-Feb-2020 11:03 Message #4770162
I saw a trailer about "The Last Tango in Halifax" coming onto BBCi and I never had time to watch it whilst working, but the whole series is back from the Series 1 Episode 1 so I have marked it as a Favourite to come back to it either with B. or when I am on my own if he isn't interested.

I tend to watch political stuff, I like watching debates and hearing different perspectives, rarely watch trivial TV but we did get into "Mum" and watched the whole series and currently enjoying Vera, but I won't subscribe to Britbox which is where they have moved most of the catch up to.

I recently have started paying subscriptions, but not to sit watching TV, so I pay National Trust, Cheshire Wildlife Trust, RSPB and recently The Canal Trust which all amounts to under £25, though that also includes Audible.
Female
9-Feb-2020 11:15 Message #4770167
Lyn, I take it you mean audio books? Does your library have bookbox where you can borrow audio and e-books for free?

I think I'd have to get a new telly to get all the catch up stuff, new telly's all seem to come with i-player and stuff, I think ours is just to old to have it, but its still a good telly so I don't want to replace it until I have too, by which time whats unaffordable now will most likely be normal. We should be able to get those services via our box thingy, but its never really worked properly, at our old place because the internet signal was absolutely awful if we had one at all and here we seem to have dead spots and of course one of them seems to be right where the telly is.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
11-Feb-2020 17:32 Message #4770384
I love a good drama...they're usually on at 9pm, so it's a great end to the evening.

I find I loose interest or fall asleep at the two hour long ones..too much for me.

Anything to do with history, or animals interests me.

Yes period dramas are good...Victoria..Downton Abbey etc
I think there's one coming up soon that looks interesting.
Female
11-Feb-2020 18:38 Message #4770385
I tend to record stuff rather than watch it live, then if I can watch it how I like, ffff through the adverts, stop and go to the loo etc.

Theres another series of Secret Life of the Zoo this week, which I find really funny and informative.

Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
11-Feb-2020 18:54 Message #4770389
W'Hen

You can get a BT Box from eg Ebay from around £70 which will convert any modernish TV to access Catch Up over past 7 days - or 28 days for soaps which you don't like.

If your TV is HD Ready it will show HD picture on all relevant Freeview channels

Also records up to ? 300 hrs SD or rather less in HD and you can do a series record too just by clicking on the TV Program Schedule
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
11-Feb-2020 21:41 Message #4770391
Something to convince me that it's worth keeping my TV. LO's Alzheimer's seems to make her very agitated if I try and watch TV. As a result it's very rarely switched on and I wouldn't say I've missed it. Sport would be a real turn off for me and I think they spend far too much in the bidding war for the rights to show certain events.
Female
12-Feb-2020 10:06 Message #4770416
Boydell, my box works perfectly well and won't be replaced until either it or the tv die.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
12-Feb-2020 13:54 Message #4770428
But you did say that you do not have access to i-player which was sole reason I mentioned newer set top box
Female
12-Feb-2020 18:54 Message #4770442
I think thats more of a problem with the wireless signal strength in this house, my box does have the ability to connect to the internet, the walls just seem to absorb signal.

Help with conversations