Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

How likely is this?

Wireless gas boiler

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
4-Feb-2020 19:08 Message #4769825
We have a gas boiler in the garage and a wireless control box in the hall, we had to have the BG bloke out today as the heating kept going off at random. He says that its the signal cutting out between the boiler and control panel and we have to take the control panel off, remove a battery, take it to the garage, switch the boiler off, wait 20 seconds then turn it back on again, put the battery back and hold it next to the boiler whilst it reconnects. This happened earlier and it did work but not before the house was freezing, the BG bloke said its possible that the materials the house is made from are blocking the signal, but then how come we've had this new control panel for 4 or 5 months and its not happened before? He said that the signal between the boiler and control panel don't use normal wifi signal but one all of thier own, I don't understand, does anyone else?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
4-Feb-2020 19:53 Message #4769830
Well ... sort of ... or rather ... I've experienced a similar sort of thing with my, so called, smart boiler.

It is meant to be able to communicate with the gas meter via WIFI but it isn't the kind of WIFI we are all used to. (Radiating from a domestic internet router).

NO. The smart boiler has its own weak WIFI transmitter and, in my case, the strength of that wifi signal isn't powerful enough to beam its way 20 paces down the passage to talk to the gas meter.

I don't call that very smart! :-(
---
I feel that our current civilisation is placing far too much reliance on our present digital, computerised, technology but that, one day, (perhaps due to a hiccup from our sun), our whole technology based existence will be wiped out overnight. (Via a solar burst).

Even today, some countries have replaced their entire physical paper libraries and records with digital, online, versions which is fine ... until a time comes when something happens and nobody will be able to access their history, banking, financial affairs, etc.

It is said that most civilisations are eventually brought down by the very thing that made them great.

I anticipate putting all our own eggs in our cutting edge digital basket will, likewise, likely be the undoing of us ...
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
4-Feb-2020 20:23 Message #4769836
wonderoushen - 4-Feb-2020 19:08

We have a gas boiler in the garage and a wireless control box in the hall, ...

Check that both parts of the wireless communication equipment are using the same channel. It's a very basic thing that any boiler engineer should check but it's surprising how many don't realise how the wireless works. If you have a neighbour within 30 yards or so you may get problems with both wireless kits using the same channel. Easy to rectify, consult the manual on changing the channel in use.

SQL
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
5-Feb-2020 09:02 Message #4769861
Normal WiFi? Your router operates around 5.4Ghz. I suspect your boiler Wireless connection is on a slightly different frequency, as are many other wireless devices so they do not interfere with each other.

Trevor
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
5-Feb-2020 10:30 Message #4769865
This is a very similar issue I have with my 'smart' meter, because of the design of these flats and locations of meters, the 'smart' meter is apparently on the edge of it's sending/receiving range. Much like indoor arials, lots of external things affect the signal so frequently the meter isn't actually recording/receiving anything.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
5-Feb-2020 10:38 Message #4769868
That's the main reason I haven't gone for a smart meter, my first floor fat is some distance away from my gas and electric meters and a signal could be a problem.
I was told they could install a sender at the end of a wire to bring it closer - which sort of makes it a bit less than smart...
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
5-Feb-2020 10:39 Message #4769869
Agree, Trevor but it's not normal in the sense that it is not a comparable broadband signal strength when compared to a regular, normal, router signal. (IMO anyway).

Signal must be feeble if it can't broadcast 20 metres ... something the engineer confessed and apologised for.
Female
5-Feb-2020 11:01 Message #4769872
This isn't a smart meter, its a normal thermostatic and timing device, its put in the hall as it best captures the ambient temperature in the house, the same reasoning as having smoke detectors in hallways I suppose. Without a signal booster our ordinary wifi isn't brilliant and often drops out at random, even with it I can anything between 2 and 5 bars of signal, when you go the page to reconnect it often isn't registering our hub at all, it registers other peoples hubs and smart phones, but not ours.

But what concerns me isn't that its happening at all, but that its suddenly started happening and it seems we're supposed to just deal with it. Theres seems to be a massive disconnect between what engineers understand and what the tech is capable of and I think this leads to the wrong stuff being used. If our vernacular building materials are such a problem things such as RSJ's, the density of certain types of stone particulalrly granite then we are never going to be able to use tech properly without it being hardwired in, its either that or totally tear down our buildings and rebuild in materials that are porous enough for wifi, which is just ridiculous.

I agree Beach the level of dependence on tech is worrying, one of the reasons we still have a gas fire in the lounge as a back up in case of a power cut and CH not working and a gas hob. I certainly don't want a smart fridge that tries to order food for me, I don't want to be able to turn the heating on remotely, or the washing machine or cooker. I can sort of see the point with the heating if you're away a lot, it must be nice to come home to a warm house after a few days away, but why not leave it on low anyway?
Male
5-Feb-2020 11:24 Message #4769875
Just a thought, has the thermostat timer thing got a battery/batteries inside? I suspect it has, maybe try replacing those, if you haven't already....
Female
5-Feb-2020 11:31 Message #4769879
I will check the batteries, but the thing was only fitted in the autumn and the batteries are supposed to last for over a year, I would of thought the engineer who came out yesterday would of checked them though.
Male
5-Feb-2020 11:51 Message #4769883
You'd have thought it was the first thing he would check because if the batteries are weak it will affect the performance. Something I discovered with my heating thermostat some time ago...
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex
5-Feb-2020 23:31 Message #4769908
I have the same type of thermostat timer for my heating system hen and when it was fitted I understood that it communicated with the boiler by radio waves. Mine works well regardless of where in the house I put it. The boiler is in the loft.

I’m wondering if you just need a different or better controller. Maybe yours doesn’t transmit a strong enough signal. My one is about seven years old now and I think the batteries have been changed twice. It wasn’t a particularly expensive unit when I bought it but it does the job.
Female
6-Feb-2020 10:47 Message #4769915
This is a replacement for the old one Batty, and we've only had it a few months, it was replaced because the old one packed up and this looks like a light switch with a dimmer knob, obviously it has a few more bells and whistles. Because mums got BG homecare or whatever its called stuff just gets replaced, when they're not trying to sell us a new boiler as the answer to all our problems.

When the boiler does eventually need replacing I'd like to replace it with something else, but these condensing boilers seem ubiquitous, what are the options for electric heating systems, the ones we're all supposed to have in the near future to cut down greenhouse gases?
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
6-Feb-2020 14:37 Message #4769931
W'Hen

There are electric boilers on the market which work exactly the same as a bas Boiler except fuelled obvs by electricity - but where the cost on present fuel differentials is around treble that of running a comparable gas boiler.

The mooted banning of GCH boilers in 2025 applies only to new builds.

Should you need a replacement gas boiler it does have to be condensing - unless it is deemed impossible to install such. There are still plenty of spares available for most boilers despite customers often being lied to by prospective boiler installers.

Typical fuel savings are mooted to be around £300 ish pa with a new condensing boiler so that would have a payback time of 10 to 15 yrs to justify the cost pf installation - and in most cases householders will see a smaller saving in gas bills so an even longer payback time.

Help with conversations