Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Pollution in Serbia

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London
3-Feb-2020 06:44 Message #4769712
I was surprised to read that Serbia is one of the most polluted areas in Europe. Cyclists in Belgrade often check pollution levels each day before venturing out on bikes. Have you travelled to any particularly bad areas in the U.K. or elsewhere?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
3-Feb-2020 09:02 Message #4769721
Serbia is not one of the places which I would associate with polluting its air. Cyclists around the world are now wearing face masks due to the pollution from car exhausts they breathe when in traffic. Many years ago I recall visiting Liverpool and finding it very gloomy with pollution but I expect it has improved now.
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester
3-Feb-2020 10:23 Message #4769730
The city of Stuttgart in south-western Germany is a place that I've become quite familiar with.

Its an important centre for car manufacturing. Ín fact the 'modern' car was actually invented here, and the city is home to the headquarters of Porsche and Mercedes-Benz. Both companies have manufacturing plants in the area.

As a result the city has some industralisation, and heavy traffic on certain roads. The city is located in a valley, and has a resulting micro-environment. The effect of the micro-environment is compounded in the cold winter months when a layer of cold air prevents air pollution escaping into the upper atmosphere.

The local authority constantly monitors the level of air pollution, and when it is above a certain limit, declares a 'Fine Dust Alarm' for the day.

But what is most impressive, is that when the alarm is declared, the cost of public transport for the day is automatically halved. You have to witness this to believe it. Go to a ticket machine, and automatically you only pay half price. The local government has put in the infrastructure to encourage people to use public transport on such days.

On a few roads leading into the city centre, there are newly installed dust extraction filters.

But the casual visitor wouldn't otherwise notice the awareness that the city has for air pollution. Nobody wears masks. On the hillslopes immediately outside the city centre, the vines happily bear fruit to produce good local wine which is available cheaply in every foodstore

Perhaps this is a case of a city realising an emerging potential problem, and taking early steps to manage the situation.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
4-Feb-2020 06:40 Message #4769798
I think Zurich is the least polluted city in Europe. Switzerland always appears clean and rubbish free.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
4-Feb-2020 08:37 Message #4769799
Worldwide the most polluted cities are in Pakistan and India.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
5-Feb-2020 14:58 Message #4769894
Nitrogen dioxide levels in the centre of Farnham, a smallish non-industrial town in Surrey, are 25% above the legal EU limit. Farnham is in the the top 2% for pollution in the UK and is higher than on the M25.
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester
6-Feb-2020 10:56 Message #4769916
"Nitrogen dioxide levels in the centre of Farnham, a smallish non-industrial town in Surrey, are 25% above the legal EU limit. Farnham is in the the top 2% for pollution in the UK and is higher than on the M25."

But that's surely not a problem now. As the UK is leaving the EU, we can set the limits of whatever pollutant at whatever level we like? ;-)

Seriously speaking though, there's been a lot of research into the long term health effects of NOX gases (Nitrogen Oxide and Nitrogen Dioxide) over the past few years, and there is definite concern that these gases, along with dust, are going to be the next generation's 'asbestos'. Exposu

These gases are generally produced by burning of diesel fuels, and concentration levels will be higher in most traffic-heavy areas.

In the UK, the permitted exposure limits were always specified in the document EH40. I remember that NO/NO2 were originally specified at around 20 pm, but a few years ago NO and NO2 disappeared from this document, and were 'under review'. I'm not sure what EU regulations are currently specifying, maybe around 3 ppm, but I know that currently industrial gas sensing technology cannot reliably measure at this level.
Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
7-Feb-2020 09:16 Message #4769973
Is there an explanation of why the levels are so high in Farnham?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
7-Feb-2020 17:55 Message #4770013
Farnham is an old town with the town centre being, as is normal, the oldest part, built well before horse poo stopped being the main traffic-caused pollutant. The main road through is now very heavily used with no real alternative. The pollution levels have been causing concern for many years. There is a by-pass (A331) but it seems the local residents doing their shopping and going to and from work are more than enough to clog up the main road.

Farnborough, where I live, would have had similar problems but when the village started to grow into a town in the early1900s the old high street became a back road and a new road (the A325) was built to the side. It rarely clogs up completely.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
10-Feb-2020 14:48 Message #4770299
If I’m asked to name two polluted places Serbia and Farnham will jump to mind.

Help with conversations