Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The quest for a perfect piece of

toast continues

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
28-Jan-2020 11:11 Message #4769384
My toaster is packing up, only browning the middle of the bread unevenly, not that the bread fit very well to begin with. Toasters are rubbish, they all seem to be small, to small for the bread I make and to small for warburtons sliced. I looked through about 40 toasters reviewed by which magazine and none of them are suitable for bread maker bread or warburtons. Theres one new comer to the market that promises that it will fit my requirements but its £149, which I think more than a little steep, I've looked at mini oven grill thingies but the only one I can find doesn't give the internal measurements so I don't know if it will be any good, its on fleabay and they won't let me ask the seller any questions unless I have an account with them. I don't really want an account with them, why should I have to have an account? It all seems to be leading back needing a an oven with a seperate grill, I do need a new hob too, which leads me back to needing a new kitchen which Mummyhen says I can't have.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
28-Jan-2020 11:50 Message #4769387
I can relate, I have toast with a dash of lime/lemon marmalade or apricot jam most mornings although I'm getting really bored with it and sometimes go for cereal.
Mass-produced bread is horrible and makes even more horrible toast, I have to use a certain freshly sliced bread from the bakery section at Tesco and they don't always have it.
Then it doesn't fit in a cheapy toaster so I had to buy an expensive Breville one to suit - it's all very tiresome.
It's amazing the crap that passes for bread these days, most younger people have no idea how totally fabulous real bread is and exist on tescos value white bread which isn't fit to feed to the birds....
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
28-Jan-2020 13:24 Message #4769392
I've got an old cheap toaster...and you know you've got trouble brewing when you push the lever thing....and the bread just stays where it is....you have to push it down as it's too thick....then it won't pop up.....and you have to prise it out...

I quite like toasting those 'thins'.....warburtons...or supermarket own ones....the little square things...they go really crispy....

I also tried some focaccia the other day.....It had red onion in it....It was a bit thick though...and stayed popped down...and was messy to prise it out....It was nice done it the 'George Formby' though....
Male
Justaguy  Male  South East London
28-Jan-2020 16:55 Message #4769395
You could try this one if you have an Asda near you or you could also get it delivered
it's supposedly a long slot toaster so will fit larger sized slices
I don't have one myself so can't personally recommend it
But at only £9 it seems a bit of a bargain, and it gets mostly positive reviews on the Asda website

https://direct.asda.com/george/home/kettles-toasters/2-slice-toaster-with-long-slots/001595893,default,pd.html?cgid=D26M10G10C06
Female
28-Jan-2020 18:48 Message #4769402
Thanks Justaguy, but they don't fit home made bread machine bread, the one I've got now is a long slot one and even on its side the bread still pokes out of the top.

Heiro, have you ever tried using a breadmaker? They make lovely bread, as well as dough if you want to shape your own or make pizza bases or flat breads, they even have a gluten free program and can make jam. I like apricot jam too, but I'm fussy about jam a lot of it is sweet but tastsless glop, I like Aldi's or Lidl as they're like Bon Maman but half the price, although there seem to have been supply problems lately and they've had none and I've had to resort to blackcurrant!
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
28-Jan-2020 20:48 Message #4769407
I've just got a great on from Wilko that actually fits the height of the toast and holds it in place. It's not their absolute budget model but 2nd one up. It looks similar to the Russell Hobbs Brushed Stainless Steel Futura 2 but only cost £10.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
28-Jan-2020 20:55 Message #4769408
This is the one:
https://bit.ly/2O6JkXI
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
28-Jan-2020 22:07 Message #4769411
"Heiro, have you ever tried using a breadmaker? "

I've thought about it many times, I've made my own bread before and it came out rather well. It's incredibly satisfying making bread.
My biggest problem, and this sounds incredibly lame, is that I hate slicing fresh bread mainly because I can't do it well. I end up with wedges, doorsteps or slices so thin you can see through them. It totally ruins a good loaf.
The tesco bread I buy is fresh baked and I get them to slice it for me, if they can't slice it I won't buy it...
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
29-Jan-2020 06:29 Message #4769435
Some toasters seem to have lots of knobs to twiddle and buttons to press. My toasting needs are very simple pop it in and eat it when it pops out.
Female
29-Jan-2020 10:46 Message #4769447
I'm the same No Saint, I don't cook bagels, buns or any other fancy stuff, I just want proper toast thats cooked properly is crisp and not scorched on the outside and soggy in the middle.

Bris I'm going to make a cardboard cut out of the size of bread I have and try popping it in toasters, I will try the wilko one, do you use a bread machine to make your bread too?

Heiro, its not a lame excuse lots of people don't know how to cut bread, lots of bread knives are terrible too, you need one with proper serated teeth that are close together more tenon saw than rip saw if you get what I mean, the blade has to do the work rather than trying to push the knife through the bread. You can get slicing guides, I think Lakeland do them, where you put your loaf in and it has guide slots for you to cut through whilst it holds the bread in place. Of course if tesco do bread you like you may not want the bother, but I'm a bit of a proper bread evangelist.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 23:29 Message #4780080
Toast has to be just right and I find it's better and easier to judge under the grill.
Male
18-May-2020 05:49 Message #4780086
My favourite at the moment is lightly toasted....it goes sort of crusty bread style...

My toaster has bust....The handle that you push down won't stay down.....so I have to hold it down.....and there's only so much holding that you want to stand there doing......so hence the lightly toasted/crusty bread style.....

It's good though....
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
18-May-2020 07:45 Message #4780089
I have a mini oven W/hen, which is a very good standby, but when you use the grill, it will only work if the door is closed so I never use the grill, as I like to see my cheese on toast when its grilling. I contacted the manufacturer & they said its a safety thing now. Its my 3rd mini oven in about 20 years, but I like it for little things, when I am on my own, or 2 small pies etc

I have a Kenwood toaster - expensive one and quite honestly its no better than the cheap Morphy Richards one I used to have.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
18-May-2020 08:34 Message #4780091
My mini oven/grill is 10 ins x 12 ins inside, 3 shelves 2 ins apart, 50 quid from Argos,
(a week after I had to buy it, Aldi had similar model for 30 quid. :-{ ) Think there mostly a similar size.
More expensive ones may be slightly bigger.
How BIG are your bread slices?

Never done toast in mine, suppose you would have to use top or bottom rack position, and still turn it over, with only 2 heater bars at top, and bottom it may still not brown you bread evenly!
And you would have to open the door to check it properly, and that would switch it off,
so praps not a good idea! lol.

Male
18-May-2020 08:36 Message #4780093
I can never think of toast without thinking of Paul Young the singer.....When I say never, I mean every now and again...

Paul Young.....Great singer......great songs.....Wherever I Lay my Hat.......Come back and stay.....Love of the common people......Every time you go away.......to name a few......

But back in the 70's......he had a 'hit' with a song called 'Toast'....with a band called Streetband....

You may not remember it.....but you probably will when you hear it......It also features the scraping of toast......Classic stuff....He certainly went on to use his loaf and his voice to make lots of bread...
Male
18-May-2020 08:39 Message #4780094
Link to 'Toast'

https://youtu.be/WJmKStqugMc
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
18-May-2020 08:42 Message #4780095
Just noticed this is a 'revived thread from January!!

W/hen has probably got it sorted now!!!! lol.
Male
18-May-2020 08:48 Message #4780097
At least everyone can watch the scraping toast song if they wish......It won't be wasted.....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
18-May-2020 11:39 Message #4780120
I used to love burnt toast but my tastes have changed and I now do toast under the grill but toasted on one side only.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
18-May-2020 16:17 Message #4780138
Is it actually called toast if you only do one side?
Female
18-May-2020 18:47 Message #4780156
Someone I used to go to school with only toasted her bread on one side, said it was to crispy otherwise! Personally I never got that to crispy stuff.

I bought a cheap and cheerful toaster from Asda that takes a large, thick slice of bread machine bread and toasts it perfectly.

Now I just need to work on getting the new kitchen, I think the cooker hood thingy is going to come to my rescue as its making arthritic noises and is getting very slow to start, so I think its on its way out. I don't think that wil be able to be replaced on its own as its so old, I've even been chatting to a bloke up the road, at a safe distance obviously, who's a bespoke kitchen fitter and I think we'd have to have one bespoke or at least chopped about a bit as all the walls are at odd angles.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-May-2020 22:18 Message #4780198
A new kitchen to go with your new toaster lol.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
18-May-2020 22:35 Message #4780200
typical woman, give em an inch and they,ll take a metre...;¬)
Female
19-May-2020 11:12 Message #4780231
Yeah but...when I get a new kitchen I shall make sure it has a proper grill so as I can ditch toasters for ever, the kitchen we have now is old, the cupboards are getting tatty, the ones around the sink are starting to fall apart from where they've got wet from leaks a few times, the cookers in a stupid place where opening the oven door blocks a cupboard. Theres loads of cupboard space in corners thats unused and unusable, the electricity meter and fuse box is on one of the more usuable cupboards and needs to be moved to the other side of the wall which would be the garage, the radiator needs changing and possibly moving as it blocks full access to quite a bit of cupboard space, the insides of some cupboards hasn't been finished properly, so you lose stuf down the back. I'd like an oven thats higher up as I'm find bending to get stuff in and out harder as I get older and you have to stand back from the oven when you open the door or get a blast of heat in the face. The hob is to small, the knobs are in the wrong place and the pot rests tend to slide off when you're moving pots and pans around. The kitchen looks like it was designed for show rather than use as the outside looks fine, mostly, its only when you use it that you realise how inpractically it was designed. I've seen new kitchens that have drawers instead of cupboards! What a no brainer they are! No more kneeling and scrabbling about trying to find stuff, just pull out a drawer and there it all is.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-May-2020 08:28 Message #4780292
I would love to design a kitchen from scratch with new appliances.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations