Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Happy Chinese New Year......

CORONAVIRUS

1 2 3 4 5 Next   Last  

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
24-Jan-2020 19:00 Message #4769078
Whilst millions are celebrating the Chinese New year, coronavirus is sweeping the country.....and spreading further afield to surrounding ones.

Travel restrictions are in place in Wuhan and have been extended to 13 cities.

With tests taking 24 hours to check,
Could the Chinese authorities have done more to contain this ......
Is it a case of too little too late ?

Millions all huddled together , partying for hours , concerning to say the least, considering the speed at which these viruses spread.

With chaos hitting the overloaded hospitals,
The government has ordered a hospital, which can house up to a thousand people to be built within the week....
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
24-Jan-2020 22:10 Message #4769083
From what I've seen their response has been swift and proactive, I'm not sure what else they could/should have done.
Many new year events have been cancelled, a Chinese friend of mine has reminded me how important the new year is to the Chinese people, to cancel stuff is pretty big.
I must say regarding this coronavirus I hope every bubble has passed it's fizzical....
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
24-Jan-2020 22:38 Message #4769084
"I hope every bubble has passed it's fizzical..."

If it hasn't it will have to be tangoed...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
25-Jan-2020 10:19 Message #4769102
Its a possible over reaction because of government secrecy over SARS, but if it did get bad, really bad then people need to know they can trust the information they're getting from the authorities in every country. I think every government and certainly the World Health Organisation know its not if but when a deadly pandemic comes up, we're not really prepared, nobodies really prepared, how do you prepare for for something on the scale of the 1919 flu epidemic or the Black Death? People complaned about the waste involved last time there was a bad flu scare a couple of years ago, with clinics running out of vacines and anti viral drugs being stock piled, but we were lucky it wasn't worse and a dry run to test procedures is never a bad thing.

With it having flu like symptoms and most people having quite mild cases of it hwo would you first know that this isn't ordinary flu? Its probably only when people are badly affected and go to hospital and tests are done that finds its not flu. We don't yet know how infectious Corona Virus really is yet how long people are infectious before they start showing symptoms.

I'm certainly not worried yet, but I am watchful.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
25-Jan-2020 10:31 Message #4769106
I can't say that I understand the Chinese New Year stuff......but 'Year of the Rat' doesn't exactly sound very healthy....

The virus probably would have happened anyway....even if it was the 'Year of the little fluffy kitten'....but rats don't exactly have a great reputation.....apart from Roland...who saved breakfast telly....
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
25-Jan-2020 14:40 Message #4769113
It is slightly worrying as i am now in Indonesai but flew out here about a week and a half ago via Hong Kong airport. Never ever stopped there before but did notice that most of the shop/store assistants and a few passengers etc. were wearing face masks, which seemed strange. No pollution inside the airport. This was before this virus had been mentioned. Or should I say mentioned in the press? Maybe I will have to fly back wearing a face mask and goggles? Did read somewhere that it can be caught through your eyes.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
25-Jan-2020 15:27 Message #4769119
Update:

The corona virus has now reached Europe.... with 3 cases in France.

In China 41 have died.
Estimated 400 people infected.
Medical teams are exhausted and one doctor has died.

Sea ....I hope it won't spoil your holiday...enjoy x

It's not that uncommon to see Asians wearing face masks although I didn't see many in Indonesia wearing them.
However I saw more in Japan going about with them on, especially on the underground.
Apparently, some are concerned that they may catch infections from foreigners....!!
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
25-Jan-2020 15:55 Message #4769123
I feel very sorry for the Chinese people. The conditions, from some of the footage on the news, look overcrowded and congested in hospitals.

Bad luck if you're caught in China, I believe 3 cities are now quarantined. But it's fatalities have been mostly in the aging population. And it's not as dangerous as SARS.

Not yet considered a global emergency by the WHO. I think they've done very well in their attempts to contain it.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
25-Jan-2020 20:36 Message #4769133
Life is not always good in China with or without extra problems. Their government leaves a lot to be desired. They could learn a lot from us.
Female
25-Jan-2020 21:57 Message #4769145
Their government is communist, but their economy is capitalist. A combination that has placed them as the 2nd largest economy, and expected to overtake the US.

Their citizens standard of living has risen steadily for the last few decades, at roughly 30%, (unlike ours!) and their success for degree courses in economics! Mind you I think hey still have a long way to go, and Trump is right to question their expansion and trade ethics.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
26-Jan-2020 07:18 Message #4769152
Millions all huddled together , partying for hours , concerning to say the least, considering the speed at which these viruses spread.

Let’s hope that is not the case and that they get it under control.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
26-Jan-2020 16:45 Message #4769242
The year of the Rat. (My Chinese astrological sign as it happens). In Chinese lore, the rat is an intelligent, industrious and resourceful creature. This also describes the Chinese people, when their current leadership puts aside its paranoid, secretive and controlling nature, as thankfully they have more or less managed to do in the face of a possible health crisis. It only took them a few days to stop denying there was a problem on this occasion, thankfully, unlike when SARS reared its virusy head.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
26-Jan-2020 16:55 Message #4769244
On the news this morning , they stated that in the USA, 34,000 peole died from the flu virus last year. I wasnt aware of that at all, last year & I usually keep up to date with all the news.

I DONT think we are doing enough here in the UK at the moment. People are not being scanned at airports or ports yet, & I think they should have been, as soon as the spread of the virus was announced. We always seem to be last in taking special precautions.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
27-Jan-2020 05:55 Message #4769297
The death toll has risen to 80 with thousands infected but most of these are within the initial infection area so hopefully the Chinese are containing it within that area. Very scary for those living in and around the worst affected areas.

Female
30-Jan-2020 18:47 Message #4769536
Went into central London today, and saw 3 people with face masks, all Chinese. A little disconcerting, but not much. They do wear them anyway, occasionally.

First flight with evacuees are due to be transported back to the UK tomorrow. It doesn't say which airport they will go to. Hope it's not Stanstead! I shall be going to an EU country on Saturday (1st) with my red passport, from Stanstead. Only Ireland, but I think red may be better, they'll think I'm an EU person. No separate queuing in Ireland anyway, so makes no difference. Airport's virtually a field. All very interesting.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Jan-2020 18:51 Message #4769540
The evacuees are landing at RAF Brize Norton and being transfered to accomodation in the Wirral for a fortnights quarentine.
Female
30-Jan-2020 18:54 Message #4769542
Oh thanks Wonderoushen. Of course they wouldn't be landing at a public airport. Well I wish them luck and hope they're all clear of the virus.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Jan-2020 18:58 Message #4769543
Gilpin

Are you landing ay Knock airport?
Female
30-Jan-2020 19:06 Message #4769545
No. South east, Co. Kerry.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Jan-2020 19:27 Message #4769549
Gilpin

Are you landing ay Knock airport?
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
30-Jan-2020 19:30 Message #4769550
It’s not unusual to see face masks in London every day. Mostly British cyclists but if they’re pedestrians then they are often orientals.
Female
30-Jan-2020 19:45 Message #4769552
These were on the tube, and rail station. I rarely see a facemask when in London. Three on the same trip is unusual, but I have every sympathy for them. The figures we are given for their fatalities, and numbers that are infected are said to be more than twice the actual numbers we are given, but Chinese officials aren't admitting it.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
30-Jan-2020 20:56 Message #4769556
Yeah they are quarantined on Merseyside so if I don't make the meet in Chester on 15th Feb you, ll know why, lol
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
30-Jan-2020 21:20 Message #4769558
Lets pray it doesnt get out of hand here...............hospitals are already full...
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
31-Jan-2020 09:27 Message #4769569
.Gilpin 30-Jan-2020 19:45....but Chinese officials aren't admitting it.

I think in this instance, apart from starting a bit slowly, but would that really be any different anywhere else in the world who were assessing the situation, China have been remarkably forthright in both their actions and communication.
That they've managed to shut down the whole of Wuhan and then other areas throughout Hubai province is almost unbelievable.
Without any of that the increasing number of infected & dying would by now be totally out of control, and just imagine where we'd be now if they hadn't self-quarantined.
The urban area of Wuhan alone is roughly the same size and has a similar population as the whole of the Greater London area.
I couldn't even begin to comprehend the sheer unpreparedness of any of the 32 London Boroughs if we suddenly got an inch of snow overnight!! let alone suspending all public transport and instructing people not to leave home.

1 2 3 4 5 Next   Last  

Help with conversations