Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Mobility scooter.

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London
23-Jan-2020 08:13 Message #4768926
Would you use one?
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire
23-Jan-2020 08:24 Message #4768931
If it meant the difference between me being able to get out and about or having to stay in then certainly.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-Jan-2020 10:10 Message #4768941
Absolutely, why would you not for all the reasons Poppy said?
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
23-Jan-2020 10:32 Message #4768945
I bought one for an elderly relative and it's been an invaluable means for them to get out to the local shop as their mobility is impaired, although they're no longer able to use it on their own due to their mental state.
But I got one that could be folded down and fitted in the car boot so if/when we go out for the day it can still be taken along and they can come too.
However, I do think that the largest of the footpath legal scooters need to be speed limited as they can be a bit of a menace out and about and in shopping malls when you think they can be driven by people who may not even be able to drive and are potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
23-Jan-2020 12:24 Message #4768963
I’ve looked at them. They are not downsize to buy or run so when my mobility becomes worse I will seriously consider using one.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
23-Jan-2020 12:30 Message #4768964
If I needed one, why on earth not?
I would imagine that most of us who use the message boards will need one at some stage over the next 10 or 20 years.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
23-Jan-2020 17:37 Message #4768978
I would need to take a driving test first !

When working I used to try and manouvre an electric wheelchair , just to try it out..... I'm surprised the building was still standing...:)

At the very least it would have been a ban and 3 points on my license :/
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
23-Jan-2020 21:10 Message #4769009
I witnessed a near crash between 2mobility scooters a couple of weeks ago.
A bloke was driving a smaller (4 mph) m/scooter along the pedestrianised high st, quite safely, even giving way to pedestrians, when out of a shop door, one of the larger scooters came roaring out, non stop, straight across the path, of the bloke on the smaller one, (who had to do an emergency stop!) and off down the high st, the rider probably had no idea how to switch from road speed (8mph) to pavement speed (4mph) and drove it flat out all the time!
The driver of the smaller one pulled over to the side of the path and had a fag to get over the shock! lol
Female
23-Jan-2020 22:24 Message #4769015
was that you on the smaller one or the bigger one, vanners?
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
23-Jan-2020 22:57 Message #4769017
Minnie ...

I'm not the kind of person to brag about having a 'bigger' one,

Likewise I wouldn't, like to embarrass myself by confessing to having a 'smaller' one ;-) lol
Female
24-Jan-2020 04:03 Message #4769021
But we know the truth. ;)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
24-Jan-2020 06:11 Message #4769023
Oi Oi!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Jan-2020 08:21 Message #4769031
We bought one about 5 years ago when I broke my ankle. It was the only way to get about on the farm, it was fine but obviously couldnot get up steps, and we have a few here. It was not good trying to get it into my car, and terrible trying to get it in the Ranger or the Range Rover. So if I needed to shop, I used the supermarket ones - not v good either & other people were annoyed. Had to get off and reach for the high shelves which was difficult at the time.. But saying that, they got me thru a bad patch. Sold my one afterwards. But bought another at an auction some months ago - in case !!! lol
Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire
24-Jan-2020 10:11 Message #4769037
I have one.
I used it a lot at first but I gradually got better at using a stick for wandering around the village.
Now I don't use it much at all but I'm determined to use it for getting to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park and around. The park is near me and I have accessed it via a right of way, but it is being enlarged and I will go with a girlfriend...that's the plan! There must be someone out there...
Just lately I use it to buy a Sunday Times. The shop is near enough but I'm unable to carry the paper back with me.

Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
25-Jan-2020 08:23 Message #4769098
A friend of mine has a larger than usual road going model with horn, indicators and all sorts. He travels several miles on it when he drives into town.
Female
25-Jan-2020 10:24 Message #4769103
I quite like the idea of a 4x4 one for going off road, I'd hate to have to stop going for walks with the dogs and being restricted to park walks which we all find boring.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
25-Jan-2020 12:06 Message #4769110
I would have no qualms about using one should I ever need one.

Only time I have ever tried one was when I was a Driving Instructor and I was on a disability course at Banstead. They had rewired an electric chair in reverse (goes left instead of right, backwards instead if forwards efc) to give the delegates a hint of the frustrations some people may experience in life.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
25-Jan-2020 14:31 Message #4769112
No way. If I ever had any mobility issues I would invest in a pair of roller boots instead. Or maybe a skateboard to whiz down the hills. :-)
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
25-Jan-2020 17:31 Message #4769127
Sea
Whilst that was obvs said tongue in cheek - mobility issues means lack of function of one or both legs - or arthritic hips/knees which can make weight bearing excruciatingly painful - hence without say a family member with a car being available one can be housebound if unable/unwilling to consider a mobility scooter.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
26-Jan-2020 12:14 Message #4769229
With the remnants of Midsummer’s dwindling membership now presenting as being elderly, invalid, incoherent or at death’s door, I applaud the O.P for transforming a once vibrant watering hole into a care home environment where the aged and the lonely can still exercise their minds by answering questions such as “Would you use a mobility scooter?”

That’s the spirit.

Keep them on their toes - for as long as they can still use or feel them.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
26-Jan-2020 16:38 Message #4769241
I assume your comment was "tongue in cheek" , Beachy
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 23:33 Message #4780081
I thought it was an interesting question. I know several people who need a wheelchair but prefer to stay indoors rather than be seen in one and The same applies to mobility scooters.
I had a test drive of a mobility scooter and was very impressed.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
19-May-2020 08:44 Message #4780215
Who needs mobility scooters when you could have an e-scooter.
Okay, yes at the moment they're only legal to use on private land (although with the number you see being riden/driven ??!, you wouldn't guess that).
But I read that legislation to make e-scooters legal to use on roads is going to be rushed through parliament as part of a transportation revolution.
At the moment it's only going to mean the trial use of them in 4 "future transport zones" which are in
Portsmouth and Southampton; the West of England Combined Authority (WECA); Derby and Nottingham; and the West Midlands.
But if that is successful I can't see how they wouldn't see instant popularity in Central London and other Metropolitan areas. Especially with commuters if there's already an established cycle lane network in place.
I think they'd have to make the wearing of say cycling helmets compulsory when using one though, and to ensure that the use is properly policed. Although that should also apply to cyclists too.
Female
19-May-2020 10:52 Message #4780228
I think an e-scooter would be ok if you're alright standing and don't have balance issues, I did see one that had a seat, but it didn't look like much more than a perch. The advantage with a mobility scooter is stability and you can carry stuff, some of the big ones can even have a small trailer. I can see the e-scooters being popular with comuters too.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
19-May-2020 16:22 Message #4780248
The e scooter does look useful. Does it fold right down so you can take it on the train?

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations