Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Haggis

Haggis Dinner Date Invite

Male
MASTICBOB  Male  Hampshire 17-Jan-2020 05:08 Message #4768413
A Lady has invited me to a Haggis belated dinner -- Haggis is Supplied -- What should I take for the table-- Please try and with sensible suggestions provide me as I've lived in Glasgow many years ago but would love to contribute out of respect to the Haggis--Thank you all --stay safe xx
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 17-Jan-2020 11:37 Message #4768428
Well I think the lady should be very grateful she is getting to eat the food of God's, and getting to dine with a Bob, let's alone a mastic one!!!

Irn Bru, the old recipe if you can find any, and some short bread in a tartan box..... bring that and you might find out if she is a true Scotswoman..... or Wumin as they say!
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 17-Jan-2020 12:14 Message #4768432
And wear a kilt.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 17-Jan-2020 13:56 Message #4768443
NoSaint ...
"And wear a kilt."

And don't forget to polish your dirk
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 17-Jan-2020 17:10 Message #4768473
lucky you Bob!

if you are really want to splash out, why not bring a bottle of good single malt whiskey and a single rose ! If that does not impress, nothing will.

when is Burns night? it has not been yet , surely.

Leogirl.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 17-Jan-2020 20:39 Message #4768502
if you really want to impress make up some athelbrose
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 17-Jan-2020 20:40 Message #4768503
athollbrose even lol
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 17-Jan-2020 21:38 Message #4768509
leogirl,
a week tomorrow, 25th January is Burns night.

I have read somewhere that there are already hoardes of people traipsing across the Heathlands in search of the elusive 'Wild Haggis'

Do you call a flock of Haggis's 'a Haggie of Haggis' ? ;-)

Perhaps H/Bob could enlighten us! lol
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 18-Jan-2020 00:38 Message #4768520
some 8 years ago my 2 grown up children and myself had a haggis butty in a tiny café near the " ocean bridge " West coast of Scotland.
it was very heartwarming as it was a bleak , cold day!
! have been to 3 Burn`s nights where the Haggis was piped in to the table Wonderful night out. is there not some speech or prayer said before cutting the Haggis?

leogirl.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 18-Jan-2020 10:50 Message #4768527
Hi Leogirl,

Yes the poem is "address to the haggis" by Robert Burns, or Rabbie Burns as we Scotts say.

I am Glaswegian born and originally moved to Corby which has a high population of Scott's.

I've been to many Burns night, which celebrates the birthday of the poet, and is taken very seriously (at least the address to the haggis is) it's a custom which originally celebrated by friends of R.B.

It's a great night, especially when they pipe the haggis in.

BOB ...you didn't say if it was a formal or informal meal.
If it's formal everything will be laid in for you and even if it's at the ladies house I'm sure if she's a Scott, she will observe tradition....haggis, neeps and tatties, and whiskey to drink.

You could offer to bring a good malt with you, I would check first,
but out of courtousy I would take a lovely bouquet of flowers....
Most of all ENJOY
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 18-Jan-2020 23:40 Message #4768582
Haggis and champagne for breakfast :)
Male
MASTICBOB  Male  Hampshire 19-Jan-2020 05:22 Message #4768596
Hi Topaz53---- Thank you so much----- In 1963 I was sent to Glasgow by the Royal Navy to standby a Frigate --HMS Zulu being built at Stephens Yard and was in digs in Clydebank and they were fantastic times for me at aged 23-- the local Razor king liked my singing in the clubs ( They gave me a pint (Or a wee half) for every song which was great for a young sailors pocket-- I fell in love with a Glaswegian gal--- Dennisin Palay-- I loved it .------ I was talking to an old Lady friend recently about how I loved Glasgow that she has bought a Haggis and we are celebrating (just the two of us) at her Hoose on 28 Jan and I have a tin of Shortbread biscuits to take --I'm not qualified to wear the Tartan but would like to show willing --with other ways---neither of us drink, so would really like to impress in honour of my happy --happy times in Glasgow---- I was born in Liverpuddle but grew up in Southampton -- but by golly the Glaswegians know how to be happy--- so thank you for being a "HEN" Chuckle -- Stay safe -- and Long may yer lung reek ??? Chuckle --Sorry !! xx
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 7-Feb-2020 09:35 Message #4769974
I love haggis. It's banned in the US as unfit for human consumption.
Male
MASTICBOB  Male  Hampshire 10-Feb-2020 03:45 Message #4770256
So sorry HAGGIS banned in USA-- and so glad I live in ENGLAND and the HAGGIS was a fantastic evening including addressing the HAGGIS--cooked to a turn.

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 10-Feb-2020 20:04 Message #4770324
Brilliant. Sounds like you had a great time.
Male
MASTICBOB  Male  Hampshire 12-Feb-2020 05:32 Message #4770401
Thank you confidence giving Topaz 53--Stay safe xx
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 14:30 Message #4770523
I quite like the taste of Haggis, but not keen on the smell. Sort of reminds me of cows cheesy feet. They were on cut price offers in our supermarket this week - wasnt Hogmany 26th Jan - a bit out of date perhaps.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 18-Feb-2020 14:38 new  Message #4771017
I love haggis. It's banned in the US as unfit for human consumption.

There are many instance in food and health and safety where the US s stricter than UK and vice versa.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »