Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What is your name?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 11-Jan-2020 09:02 Message #4767924
Your Christian name. Are you addressed by the same name you were at school? Do you parents and family use the same name when speaking to you? Your company and clients?

My good friend and work colleague grew up as Johnny. Then became John in his teens. Jonathon at work as he thought it sounded better in business. To me he is Mudger!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Jan-2020 09:53 Message #4767927
Mine has always caused confusion wherever I go.......story of my life.....

In our family...we are all called by our middle names....I think it's an Irish thing, but happens with a number of people...no matter what nationality...

My initials are A.S.M

So, since birth, I've been called by the 'S' name.....which some on here may know me as Stu or Stuart...

Being called by the 'A' name sounds strange to me....and to the family.....It doesn't sound like me....It's probably a bit like a 'normally' named person being called by their middle name....It doesn't sound right....

But official things are always addressed to 'A'.....as that is seen as the normal by the 'normally' named people....

Unless I've been able to get it across to anyone.....that I'm called 'S'.....then the 'A' is used....

friends, workmates etc....that's easy......but HR at work, or some managers who don't really know you...they ask for 'A'..

I've had to refill forms in....as I've just put the 'S' name and the M surname......

When I was working for CapG....I managed to get all the official stuff as S.A.M....instead of A.S.M....so that 'cured' the problem.....as nobody would then use the hidden away 'A' name.....

I notice the other day that Meghan was the same.....Her first name is Rachel....Not much wonder there is confusion in her life......

and don't even get me started on my surname....It's one of those 'McC ' names....Irish origin....but sounds more Scottish....and the spelling and pronunciation are often numerous.....'Mac'...'MC'...Muc....it doesn't help that the ending is often misspelled as well....even when you spell it out to someone.....I'm saying 'ea'....and they're putting 'ae'.....and sometimes they put a 'y' which isn't there at all.....Good job I didn't get started on it....

It's all good fun though.....usually anyway.......it's one of those talking points.....like people having a dog or something....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jan-2020 10:33 Message #4767934
I only have one forename, something many people find odd, and its one that hard to shorten, so I've always been called by the same name throughout life.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 11-Jan-2020 17:16 Message #4767960
It can be quite funny when you suddenly learn the full name of a friend, relative, or boyfriend on their wedding day - probably the only time it's been made public since their christening. That's when I found out a friend was not just "Lily" but "Lilias (pronounced Lilyarse) Rhyder Haggard Chain:) I also discovered my husband was not just André, but André Rede Fowke Eusebius + the surname I already knew but is an uncommon one even in his native France!
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 11-Jan-2020 17:29 Message #4767962
I'm the real mccoy lol .
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 11-Jan-2020 17:30 Message #4767963
I'm the real mccoy lol .
Male
Justaguy  Male  South East London 11-Jan-2020 18:49 Message #4767972
I am same as you Tumbled I have always been known by my middle name of Carlos rather than my first name of Daniel
My Spanish father went by the name Daniel though he was named Jose Daniel and to his Spanish family he was Pepe
which is a nickname for people called Jose... my younger brother Francisco Jose has always just been called Paco
No I don't see any logical connection in either of those either !!

I have only quite recently gotten the name on my medical records changed, they had me down as Carlitos which is little Carlos
It's been rather a long time since I was a little boy,
It would be the equivalent of someone named James being called little Jimmykins
Cute for a toddler but not quite as suitable for a 60 year old man. lol ... :0)

There is a coffee flavoured liqueur called Tia Maria which is quite exotic sounding till you translate it to English
I'll have a glass of Auntie Mary doesn't have quite the same ring to it
There is also a brand of Sherry called Tio Pepe which would be Uncle Joe in English
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 11-Jan-2020 19:20 Message #4767980
I've been called a lot of names in my lifetime! lol ;-)
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 11-Jan-2020 23:39 Message #4768004
I was christened Kate but I was called Bubbles from a very young age. Since my teens I have been Katie. I don’t mind what I’m called.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 12-Jan-2020 00:02 Message #4768008
I don`t mind what I am called as long as strangers call MADAM.
Leogirl
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jan-2020 09:14 Message #4768021
Well my name is Robert..... Honestly!

I've got the same name as my Dad and his Dad before him, same middle names too. I'm very proud of this and hope one day to have my own son to be the 4th.

I've always been called Bob or Bobby..... or up here Boaby! My Dad also.

If I'm blessed with a son, I would be in two minds to let the Bob title skip a generation and instead go with Rab, Robbie or Bert for his daily name.

Also my Mums Dad was called Robert, and one of his sons Robert too. Two of my Uncle James', one my Mums brother, other my Dads brother both have sons and grandsons with the same names. My brother John aka John Boy had a son recently, also called John.......aka John Boy Jnr, but not the same middle name as him. His wife's family have created an uproar over the childs name as they DEMANDED he be named after her Father, who never had a son to pass his name to, so selfishly wanted to enforce his name upon my brothers son. They negotiated and gave John Boy Jnr his grandfathers middle name..... now they call him John Callum like its a double barreled name. Which infuriates my brother.

Names are really important to me.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 12-Jan-2020 09:22 Message #4768023
I only disclose to the privileged few on this site ;)

In the real world, formally always called by my birth name, same applies to voluntarily work.

Friends/ family I prefer the other.. lol

Derivations have been applied in the past ..but are unmentionable on such an eloquent site :/
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 12-Jan-2020 17:47 Message #4768063
My initials are J D A V F
I prefer not to reveal all on here
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 12-Jan-2020 18:02 Message #4768065
Like WH, I just have one simple first name but not spelt as this site implies. It cannot be shortened but for a short period, some kids called me Lurch because I tall and quiet.

Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 12-Jan-2020 20:48 Message #4768079
Given name - Barbara (plus 2)
Shortened versions when I was younger - Babs and Barb
Name used ONLY by my mum and husband - Barbie - I don't allow anyone else.
Called as a small child - Bridget
Nickname for many years - Hobbit or Hobbs
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Jan-2020 08:21 Message #4768106
I was always known by the shortened version of my name except by teachers and my mum when she was angry.
Many of those I’ve met online know me as Colonel although possibly that should be kernel as I’m a bit of a nut.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 13-Jan-2020 18:19 Message #4768141
I was named Nigel as my parents didn't think it could be shortened easily! Oh how wrong could they have been! Lol! Usually shortened to Nige.

I have 2 middle names, Peter, from my Dad and George from both of my Grandfathers.
Female
Woosey  Female  North Yorkshire 14-Jan-2020 22:45 Message #4768225
Wendy, Wend, Wends, Woo, Woosey, Wen, Nenny and Daisy,

Loads of my friends call me Woo.

I'll answer to pretty much anything.

Woo xxx

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »