Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Footnotes

in books

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
5-Jan-2020 12:48 Message #4767426
Do you like footnotes in books?.....or do they get in the way?

What do you do when you see one.....or more than one....on a page?....The asterisk or other symbol against a word....Do you stop.....and read the footnote corresponding to the symbol....and then carry on.....or do you ignore it for the time being....

I sometimes find them a bit distracting.....but also can't stop referencing them as and when they come up....

Are there books where the footnotes are an essential part to read as you go along?.....You're at the top of the page....first footnote....go to bottom...read it....back to where you were....second footnote.....go to bottom...read it....back to where you were etc etc

Which books are best for them?....

If you were writing a book....would you put them in?...
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands
5-Jan-2020 15:20 Message #4767437
The best book I've heard (on Audiobooks) for footnotes is by Eddie Izzard.
He doesn't include many in the actual book but does footnotes about the footnotes :)
It titled Believe Me and contains information and anacdotes that weren't in the book or TV series. It's one of the best autobiography's I've listened to.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
5-Jan-2020 17:35 Message #4767444
I probably wouldn't in fiction unless it was to refer back to a previous book in the series that was mentioned in this one. I would if I was writting non fiction as it allows you to show your sources and give a little background without tangents in the main text. I do read footnotes, it was a habit I had to develop at uni where most of the books I read had footnotes, it does annoy me though when theres half a page of footnotes and Harvard Double referencing is really annoying, as you have the quote or reference in brackets mid sentence and again as a footnote, it makes the books really difficult to read and its of-putting.

Help with conversations