Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Iron

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 1-Jan-2020 11:35 Message #4767038
The hospital prescribed some iron pills recently for anaemia...2 x 210mg ferrous fumarate a day...

Now, I'm sure many of you have taken iron stuff at times....and know of certain side effects...

Stools go a weird colour....Black, Green, Grey, luminous....ok, that last one may be a bit of an exaggeration....

They also make me quite nauseous......another known side effect....

As a result, I've stopped taking them since just before Christmas....

I will need to see the Doctor to discuss it...or the hospital...and I have some more blood tests in a few weeks...

Has anyone got any experience of these pills....and any suggestions of ways of taking them....to cut down on colourful stools and nausea..

I may have to change to some others....I'm also taking loads of other stuff for heart etc...which may be interacting..
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 1-Jan-2020 12:01 Message #4767040
Best thing to do is to stop turning round to look at it.

For me, a lack of iron just produces a beige colour poo ,yet with iron tablets , it turns dark brown normally
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 1-Jan-2020 13:12 Message #4767045
Mine are so colourful I expect to find a pot of gold at one end.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 1-Jan-2020 15:07 Message #4767054
... and they always point north.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 2-Jan-2020 08:47 Message #4767100
Starting a New Year talking a load of
S* ....... no change there then !!
Things have gone right down the
pan Lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Jan-2020 10:10 Message #4767119
Discuss it with the doctor, in the mean time you could try buying yourself some Floradix its a bit expensive but its really good stuff, a malty tasting liquid thats made entirely from fruit and veg and dosen't have many of the same alarming gastro-intestinal results. Because of this when I worked in a wholefood shop we had a lot of midwives recomending it, because it dosen't make you nauseous or constipated and iron is often ore easily absorbed from liquids than solids, you can now buy it tesco as well as holland and barrat.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Jan-2020 11:42 Message #4767125
Thanks for the suggestions.....I'll look into the Floradix stuff...

I nearly took the iron pills last night....but I was already feeling a bit off....and I'm too much of a wuss to go through with feeling a bit more off...

I wouldn't have thought two tiny pills would do what these ones do...

The same for a lot of other pills as well....Really tiny things....big effects....good and bad....

Anyway......I'm off to think of some more bodily function threads....New Years Resolution....churn out a new one every day.....
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 2-Jan-2020 14:49 Message #4767154
Have you tried eating a ginger biscuit before taking the tablets.
Even a ginger or peppermint based tea.

Women have had to put up with morning sickness for years and I was also anemic whilst pregnant, so had to take iron tablets....yuk!!
Ginger was always recommended.

Glad to know you're not pregnant though :)
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 2-Jan-2020 17:42 Message #4767168
I've been taking them for a few years now. Take them with food to combat the nausea. Ignore the black stools and up your fibre by eating lots of fruit and veg to combat the constipation. Eating something high in vitamin C with the tablet greatly enhances the absorption of the iron. A satsuma or something. Check with your pharmacist when you should be taking it. I have to wait until lunchtime so it doesn't block the thyroxine I take at 5am.

Do not just not take them or you'll remain anemic for longer!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Jan-2020 18:43 Message #4767174
I had to have iron injections with my second pregnancy, they were horrible, they had to put them in a different bum cheek every time as the stuff was so thick and didn't disperse easily, I had yellow stains on me bum cheeks for weeks afterwards. It was like being injected with treacle.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Jan-2020 21:34 Message #4767189
Thanks for the further suggestions....

Eating ginger and having some Vitamin C might be worth a try.....

I haven't had todays Iron yet....so it's about 10 days without any now...

as has been said though.....the anaemia won't be getting any better....I suppose medicines aren't really supposed to be nice....

I'm going to go for it...and take some now...although I haven't got any ginger....or vit C....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 3-Jan-2020 15:07 Message #4767241
Agreed and anaemia in combo with heart/circulatory issues compounds the latter as heart needs to work overtime to properly oxygenate all body tissues.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 3-Jan-2020 23:48 Message #4767297
You could suggest to your GP having an Iron infusion instead. Straight into your bloodstream, the IV takes a couple of hours or so but replenishes your iron resources for several months and more. No nausea or anything with that. The only problem I had with it was painful joints a few days later, as the iron does accumulate there temporarily, but that is brief and temporary.
In the end I had to have regular blood transfusions because I didn't retain the iron as most people do, but that's rare.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 4-Jan-2020 09:28 Message #4767312
Have found the best time to take them was lunchtime...

you have to leave a certain amount of time after taking some meds as they can reduce the effects such as levothyroxine... ( I always waited 3 hours so took at 7 , lunch at 12-1 and then took the Iron..

I wouldnt recommend taking before going to sleep and keep to the same time each day...........

Ohh and never look back lol

Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire 4-Jan-2020 09:52 Message #4767313
Food is the best medicine Tumbleweed. Have a google at best vegetables to give iron and make yourself a nice veg broth. Organic would be even better for your system. Our bodies are our temples.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Jan-2020 12:03 Message #4767320
Thanks for all the further info....I will have a word with the GP about perhaps having an infusion thing...

In the meantime.....I've been brave...when I say brave, I mean less wussish....and have taken them yesterday and the day before....with food.......it hasn't been bad...yet....One of the problems I was having was that it was saying take them an hour before eating....but then after taking them...and before eating....the nausea would come on....and the appetite went away.....as it does with nausea...and then I'd have to have a lie down and say things like 'woe is me' and all that...
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 4-Jan-2020 22:34 Message #4767371
Maglorian - ferritin stores take a long long time to restore and it's very difficult to get enough from your food to replenish them as quickly as you need to, especially with reduced nutrients due to intensive farming and long storage times nowadays.

Tumbleweed - good boy. Keep it up!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 7-Jan-2020 07:46 Message #4767576
You can become ill with too much iron in your blood.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Jan-2020 22:11 Message #4767694
You can become ill with too much iron in your blood.

Not a lot of people know that!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Jan-2020 22:20 Message #4767696
I've done it for a week now.....non stop....

So without starting this thread...I may not have taken them again.....Thanks for the advice...

I was only given 84 of them...and I'm about half way through....Then I'll have the blood tests again....

I like Irn Bru as well......but haven't had any since the pills......Made from girders.....I'm not sure how rusty I'm getting....I've always been a ginger colour....

Too much.....Too little.....It's a minefield......

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »