Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Just another boring one

Geoscience

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
29-Dec-2019 17:00 Message #4766776
I'm quite interested in maps and mapping...can't read one to save my life as experienced by a friend and I who, out for a supposed 3 mile walk the other day ended tramping the bogs of the South Pennines for four hours and finishing up doing over 7 miles!

The science of geology also includes maps, hence the link. Anyway, have you ever considered how geology and geoscience can affect the wealth of a nation, an area with a nation even, how might it do this do you think?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Dec-2019 18:09 Message #4766783
Honestly, no I don't.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
29-Dec-2019 20:41 Message #4766803
Could this have impacted Wales and the extraction of slate?

I'm not sure it made Wales wealthy but more exploited.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
29-Dec-2019 21:52 Message #4766813
An interesting subject terry but we can probably make it boring for you lol.

I find everything about the planet and it’s surrounding area fascinating. I have a particular interest in volcanoes and earthquakes.

There has been a lot of valuable finds such as gold, tin, skate, coal and diamonds all around the world. Some countries have been decimated and constantly at war due to these natural resources but I don’t think the people of those countries have gained much apart from being employed in those industries.
Female
31-Dec-2019 21:51 Message #4767004
Hmmm..I wonder if there are any skate fossils, given the subject?

Particularly with the oil industry too.

Png

It's interesting looking at extinct volcanoes from aerial pictures and how the earth has moved on. I covered this at basic level in an OU Science module, tectonic plate movement and how Iceland is on the Atlantic ridge seabed above sea level.
Male
1-Jan-2020 15:06 Message #4767053
JustLyn. Extinct volcanoes and earthquake cracks in the surface are very interesting from the air. A few years ago when I had a lot more energy I went to the top of Mount Vesuvius and you could look into the crater which was live and smoking. When you looked down to the city below you could see the solidified runs of lava from the eruption running down the side of the mountain. You could feel the history and visiting Pompeii was more interesting from having seen the volcano close up
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
2-Jan-2020 14:54 Message #4767155
persona that sounds a bit dangerous. A long way down if it suddenly erupts.
Male
3-Jan-2020 08:17 Message #4767210
I don’t run far these days Andromeda lol. At least it would be downhill .. but joking apart I did wonder about it erupting as it was live but it didn’t feel dangerous to be up there.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
4-Jan-2020 08:34 Message #4767307
This subject was made very boring by teachers of my era.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
4-Jan-2020 09:07 Message #4767311
Normally they monitor the seismic activity and don't let people go if there is a risk of increased activity. Sadly, they got it slightly wrong recently when they let visitors onto White Island in NZ.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
4-Jan-2020 12:14 Message #4767323
Yes theres lots of slate round here and it made a few very wealthy, wealthy enough to build mock Gothic concrete haemaroids like Penryn Castle. But to me the most important thing is that without the slate mines we wouldn't have ivor the Engine, but did slate mining make the dragon homeless until he went to live in Ivor's boiler?
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands
4-Jan-2020 21:09 Message #4767351
I love geology and biology combined. Interesting critters that survive in interesting places fascinate me, especially how their bodies have evolved all manner of features to cope with their habitat.
As for reading a map... Its a no from me lol
Female
4-Jan-2020 22:22 Message #4767370
Came across this interesting article on BBC News about Wales and the coal industry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50457035
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
8-Jan-2020 22:14 Message #4767695
I'm quite interested in maps and mapping

Me too.

Help with conversations