Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Faggots

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
29-Dec-2019 16:19 Message #4766770
those meatball things.....I quite like them every now and again....Brains....

but.....

the PC brigade are on the prowl again....

We all know of the other meaning of faggot....

and in a list of he most popular Christmas songs...The Fairytale on New York is high on the list....In fact, it was mentioned by some on here as their favourite.....

However......

the lyrics contain the word 'faggot'.....

Now you can bleep it out....cough over it....replace it with something else....fart over it....all sorts....but there is no getting away from the fact that one of the nations favourite Christmas songs was originally written and sung with the word 'faggot' in it....and still is by most....

So.....are the wonderful PC brigade right to be astonished and offended and sod knows what else by the fact that it was sung in 'Gavin and Stacey'?......

What a load of faggots......
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
29-Dec-2019 16:40 Message #4766772
Ha ha I love the PC brigade or whatever they allow themselves to be called these days - twitter is full of them. People tying themselves up in stress filled knots, seething about such pathetic wrongs.
The latest I heard is calling someone a "geek" being regarded as a hate crime.... lol lol
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
29-Dec-2019 17:07 Message #4766778
Well I LOVE fairy tale of New York..!!
And when I was a meat eater I loved a good faggot.

Over the Christmas period I heard an old Christmas record, can't recall it now, but it had the word "gay" in it.
I remember thinking oh no how long is it going to take them before they destroy that one !!??

I've still got my mum's old dictionary with the word in it...
ORIGINAL definition is..
Merry, happy, cheerful, bright.

Thought of another one they haven't got hold of yet ..won't be long, no doubt :/

The nursery rhyme.... Monday's child etc..
The child that is born on the Sabbeth day is bonny, blithe, good and gay !!!

P.C brigade.... hypocritical saddos sitting in judgment of everyone ...
Get a life, because it's too dam short !
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
29-Dec-2019 18:04 Message #4766780
If anyone chooses to be offended let them get on with it.

Life and let live.

Yes, I like faggots too, usually have good gravy with them.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Dec-2019 18:06 Message #4766782
What Nigel said, I wasn't aware anyone was getting worked up about the word faggot though. I used to like them when I ate meat.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire
29-Dec-2019 20:05 Message #4766799
Yes, I like faggots and their cold counterpart savoury ducks. Used to have a couple of great shops that sold them but I don't see them much now.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
29-Dec-2019 20:46 Message #4766804
when I lived in the midlands I tasted Faggots. I prefer home made Swedish meatballs , then I know exactly what I am eating. When it tastes too herby it camouflages a lot of sins!

leogirl.
Male
29-Dec-2019 20:50 Message #4766806
W'Hen..."I used to like them when I ate meat."

I would imagine you could make some good non-meat alternatives using lentils vertes
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
29-Dec-2019 21:32 Message #4766807
Auntie originally censored the "Fairytale" lyrics in 2007 so that "faggot" & "slut" couldn't be heard.
A whole 11 people out of an audience of 12.31m complained about the word in the song on G&S.
Each to their own.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
29-Dec-2019 21:37 Message #4766808
Some people are easily offended .. usually on behalf on someone else they feel should feel offended.

The song is great and I quite like faggots.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
29-Dec-2019 21:43 Message #4766811
brains faggots ...ooh love them, always a pack in the freezer, the word brains next to them is always a bit yuk.lol
Female
30-Dec-2019 09:57 Message #4766825
But what would you use instead of cawl to wrap them in?
Male
30-Dec-2019 10:58 Message #4766838
Cawl? To wrap them in?

https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/food-drink/welsh-food/cawl-our-traditional-welsh-recipe?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICAJceNDobNwrJ0flWOtqkactPhD1fFx0KXs9bc69z40mSxERTaRKxhoCMLUQAvDBwE
Female
shewolf  Female  Somerset
31-Dec-2019 16:19 Message #4766960
I remember talking to my American friend about them she was shocked until I explained its like you say the word fag as well Americans have a different meaning lol

Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
31-Dec-2019 17:30 Message #4766970
love faggots, best bought from a traditional butcher.
Female
31-Dec-2019 18:15 Message #4766981
Yes cawl Nigel, you know the membrane stuff that they're wrapped in to stop them disintergrating when being cooked? Cawl is a Welsh soup/stew, but not the stuff I'm talking about.
Male
31-Dec-2019 19:13 Message #4766990
Ah, that makes more sense.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
1-Jan-2020 19:54 Message #4767069
I used to eat Faggots, as a child when visiting my grandparents in Devon. I used to think they, along with hogs pudding were unique to Devon, as never saw them anywhere else at the time. My grandfather would always bring my grandmother breakfast in bed and it would be thinly sliced faggots that I believe were fried, along with hogs pudding that seem to be cut in about inch chunks and also fried. This would be accompanied by a fried egg and wafer thin slices of buttered bread. Bread must have been quite a solid variety, to be so thinly sliced. It kind of fascinated me as a child, as my mother was never able to cut it so thin. I was always wanting my bread sliced extremely thinly like my granddad did. Anyway it did seem to me at the time that this was a typical Devonshire cooked breakfast. Faggots then were only seen in butchers shops in Devon.
Male
1-Jan-2020 21:30 Message #4767074
My Mum used to cut bread wafer thin. She would butter it before cutting using a sharp knife (not a serrated bread knife).
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
1-Jan-2020 22:16 Message #4767083
Not enjoyed faggots for years but this thread has revived my interest.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
3-Jan-2020 23:02 Message #4767294
Nigel,

As a child the grandmother of a friend of mine would butter the bread FRIST while she was holding it against the bib of her apron and than slicing it holding the bread in the same position. she never ever cut the material of the apron.

LEOGIRL
Female
4-Jan-2020 11:41 Message #4767318
My nana used to do that too Leogirl
Male
4-Jan-2020 11:50 Message #4767319
Is it me.....or have we all gone tiny?.....
Female
5-Jan-2020 11:07 Message #4767414
I'm the same size as normal and so is everyone else, so it must be you!
Male
5-Jan-2020 13:10 Message #4767429
A weird phenomenanana....

I have the zoom set at 125% for this site.....to make it easier to type the rubbish.....and read it....

All other threads are still showing as normal 125% size.....

This one however, although it started 'normal'....has gone weird....all the text is the same I think, but all the posters photos have gone tiny....

Even stranger.....if I reduce the zoom back to 100%.....the photos all come back to normal size....Make it 125 again...and they go tiny again...

I think a link further up the thread may have thrown it.....Some links are long long things....and sometimes make a thread look weird....even more weird than normal.....

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations