Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is criticism of religions

racist and anti-

Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 11-Dec-2019 10:03 Message #4764896
When someone criticises the holy texts of religions, are they being racist?

I suggest using a definition such as "showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another".

And:-
Is criticism of the Old Testament antisemitic?
Is criticism of the New Testament anti-Christian?
Is criticism of the Qur'an and Hadith(s) anti-Islamic and/or Islamophobic?
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 13-Dec-2019 14:53 Message #4765192
I would not consider criticising holy texts, as being racist in any way. It is just giving your opinion. If something does not sound right, why should you not say so, without being labelled as racist etc.?
And if you wished, you could say it is anti Christian etc. to criticise anything, because,as a good Christian or whatever religion you may be, you would accept without question. I was speaking to a Muslim guy on Lombok Island, Indonesia a couple of years ago and light heartedly complaining about the loud chanting (now tape recorded music, so cheating in my eyes, as before technology it would have been actual people) that takes place at 5am every morning. And he said to me that if they complain, they are told they are not good Muslims. So it seems that even some Muslims do question their own faith and its expectations. Am sure some were praying for a power cut, especially if they had had a late night. : -) Surely though, we should be allowed to criticise and question and put over our own opinions on anything written, without being accuses of being anti this or anti that etc. Is it so wrong to have differing viewpoints?
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 13-Dec-2019 16:12 Message #4765203
Religions are across races so criticising religions cannot be racist.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 13-Dec-2019 21:29 Message #4765259
I don’t think so Jeff.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 15-Dec-2019 00:49 Message #4765456
I would guess it depends on the form that critiscism takes, discussion would be ok, being accusatory or demeaning to anyone's belief structure would be, in my opinion, wrong. Different belief systems have different levels of tolerance, using the definition you've given then yes, if spoken/written then I would consider that racist. Of course now you'll start on some anti islamic or other rant with quotes from their holy books about how they consider their religion to be superior to any other.

It's about time we started thinking how the human race considers itself to be superior to any other species, and how certain members of that human race consider themselves to be superior to any other.

Just thought though, other than through an action or expression, how would anyone express a feeling?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 15-Dec-2019 03:56 Message #4765465
Not all religions are across races. Arguably, Judaism isn't depending on your point of view. The Yazidis have their own beliefs. You don't get many non-Asians who are Hindu, although that may be an odd one because it isn't a single belief system across all Hindus.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 15-Dec-2019 05:13 Message #4765467
Perhaps not, but enough are across races so that criticism of a religion doesn't equate to racism.

Anyway, a lot depends on how you criticise.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 16-Dec-2019 00:06 Message #4765581
I would say, doesn't necessarily equate, but it might.
Male
johnlock  Male  Essex 22-Dec-2019 14:19 Message #4766326
As an atheist, I have little time for any religion!

Regards
John
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 22-Dec-2019 14:41 Message #4766329
John,

Long time no see. Welcome back.

Your near namesake about 1689 advocated tolerance of religions, largely to avoid violence.
Male
walkingman  Male  South Yorkshire 4-Jan-2020 01:18 Message #4767299
I feel that criticism of the old testament shows critical thinking, as in Genesis, the universe was created in an impossible order.
The old testament has immoral teaching like god instructing how to buy slaves, how you should sell your daughter into slavery, and how much you can beat your slave without getting punished. So criticising that would show one has better morals than Yahweh.
Criticism of the new testament again shows better morality than Jesus has, if one considers that Jesus supports what is written in the old testament.
Criticism of the Qur'an indicates that one is not okay with killing someone just because they no longer believed in Allah. and therefore has better morals than the teachings in the Qur'an.

I suppose it all depends on where ones criticism is directed though.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 4-Jan-2020 08:20 Message #4767302
Minnie-the-Minx Female Hertfordshire 15-Dec-2019 03:56 Message #4765465
Not all religions are across races. Arguably, Judaism isn't depending on your point of view. The Yazidis have their own beliefs. You don't get many non-Asians who are Hindu, although that may be an odd one because it isn't a single belief system across all Hindus.

Good point.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »