Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Frankly my dear....

I don't give a damn.....

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Dec-2019 19:41 Message #4764033
Now we have all had time to reflect.....and we have had a cup of tea and a biscuit....

What do you think of the Euro 2020 draw?......

ps...For those who don't have the energy left to type a response....just copy and paste the title and subtitle.....I don't mind the plagiarism....
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Dec-2019 19:51 Message #4764035
pps....I've just remembered...I do give a damn....

England have got Croatia, Czech Republic and a play off team ( could be Scotland )...

Wales have got Italy, Switzerland and Turkey....

Both the Irelands are in the playoffs...
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 2-Dec-2019 21:31 Message #4764039
I thought it took even longer to draw the lots than it does for a VAR decision, and that's saying something:)
As soon as the draw was finished we had all the very serious debate about whether England should just win the group or go for second place in order to avoid the big guns from Group F :):):)
So, England have such choice, do they? Remember Iceland and tremble!!!
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 2-Dec-2019 22:35 Message #4764047
Everton got Liverpool, plus Leicester City are playing really well.
Also the NFL is fabulous this season.
So lots of football to watch before Euro 2020.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 3-Dec-2019 09:54 Message #4764063
I'm really surprised not to see any contributions so far to the thread from W'hen. As we know how much she adores sporting threads thought she'd be all over this one.
Lol

But the groupings were already stacked to keep host nations that qualified away from each other and give them all 2 home games.
Group F does look like the traditional "Group of Death" with 3 of the big guns in.
But providing we avoid the banana skins en-route out of the Group stages, being in Group D does expose us to a potentially tougher side of the draw going forward involving Group F.
Although winning the Group means we have a much longer break of 6 days before the next match and we'd only have to go to Dublin to play.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 3-Dec-2019 18:43 Message #4764085
We can't take qualification from the group stage for granted, but I do feel an England v Germany clash coming on.....complete with penalties !!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Dec-2019 14:21 Message #4764138
I usually fall for the same thing of building us up to be 'one of the serious potential winners'....and then we fail time and time again....1966 is the exception......I won't reminisce at the moment.....or maybe I will.....Nobby, the Bobbys, Big Jackie, Bansky ( before his grafitti drawing days ).....

Last World cup, I went along with it all.....then we faded when it really mattered....and then reflecting, there were quite a few things that were papered over......and we weren't really that good at all....Of course, Kane scored loads to begin with....but then went awol with any more...We struggled to beat Tunisia....although beating panama 6-1, it was 6-0 with about 30 minutes to go.....so we lost the last 30 mins 1-0.....against Panama!!!.....then well beaten by Belgium....then nearly beaten by Columbia....then the run through to the final should have been easier than we will ever get again....Sweden and Croatia....instead of Germany and Spain....and we blew it.....

Thanks for the responses.....I thought I would disguise the title a bit.....sort of like hiding veg in things so that kids eat the veg.....People might have thought 'What ho...a thread about Gorn with the Wind...How very jolly'....enticing them in....but alas....just the diehards.....but thank you diehards....

I'm thinking of starting a boxing thread for this Saturdays Joshua/Ruiz rematch....Should be a cracker....I'll think of a thread title.....
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 4-Dec-2019 16:20 Message #4764139
Aw, TW, I'm so proud to be a "die-hard"......I've never belonged to such a niche and august body before:)
Of course, I'm excited about tonight (the Merseyside derby), I actually turn down dates on a football night!
However, I'm going to have to dodge any boxing talk - an absolutely abhorrent "sport" :(
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Dec-2019 11:49 Message #4764206
Liverpool are the business this year....I thought they would do it last year as well...Around Christmas they were loads of points clear...but this year is theirs....In fact I'll say it now....Liverpool FC...Premier league champions.....My nephew and his dad are huge supporters....

With regards boxing....I can see many reasons why people don't like it....I don't like some of it....but other parts are addictive for me....

There's also some great Women boxers coming through at the moment.....The promoters are really getting behind them....Katie Taylor is huge....She loves it.....and she's World Champion...Really dedicated to it....Her country, Ireland, love their 'stars'...and she's a star.......
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 6-Dec-2019 01:53 Message #4764239
I'll stick to the noble art of the round ball:)
I think Liverpool are in a better position than last year around this time: 10 points clear with Man City still having a game in hand, if I remember correctly. Now it's 8 points clear of second place Leicester City (who I think will slip) and 11 points clear of Man City. Supersub Origi was magnificent this week after hardly featuring at all this season.
8 more matches though in just this December!
So, TW, don't you think Van Dijk should have been awarded the Ballon d'Or instead of Messi.....yawn, again?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Dec-2019 14:06 Message #4764285
Certainly the Ballon thing has been the Messi/Ronaldo thing for years...although Modric won it once.....I suppose reputation helps....I don't really follow Messi week in week out, so I'm not always sure how well he's done.....also not sure how 'genuine' or corrupt the voting is....I'm sure Van Dijk will make his mark though, if he keeps up the good work...Maybe next year....

On another subject......Cricket...RIP to Bob Willis....Great bowler....His match winning 8 wickets in the 1981 Headingley Ashes Test..to win it from an impossible position.....Normally would have been a Man of the match performance.....except a certain Ian Botham put in an even more amazing performance....Unbelievable...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »