Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sunday night General Election debate

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Dec-2019 10:57 Message #4763984
Seven politicians from seven parties went head-to-head on Sunday night in the ITV General Election debate but did it influence you in any way?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-Dec-2019 11:14 Message #4763990
I didn't watch, I am totally fed up with the amount of debates that are going on.
As I understand it was 2 hours long, what did everyone talk about that we haven't already heard a million times?
It seems to me the media are obsessed with trying to trip politicians up, bombard them with questions for two hours and one or other is bound to say something wrong, ill-judged or make an error. Of course, they should be held to account but it's getting ridiculous.
People were furious Johnson or Corbyn weren't there, so what? BJ had been on national television just a few hours earlier and Corbyn has done his fair share.
I don't think anybody could claim any leader has gone unscrutinised in this election - the irony is we don't vote for the PM and many people are saying they have not heard or seen their local candidates, you know, the people they will actually get to vote for.
The media are taking us down the USA route and they wonder why our politicians are now more like celebrities than public servants.

Incidentally, I noticed ITV called it "THE" ITV debate, well they had one a week ago so surely that is incorrect?
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 2-Dec-2019 13:11 Message #4763997
I too did not watch , far too long 2 hours and going over all the same as we keep hearing , or are the political parties simply trying to brainwash us all !!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Dec-2019 14:21 Message #4764003
I think it's really important to have these questions in public, and debates about policies. It is not intended for leaders to always be there but a cross representation of those who are supposed to be leaders in areas of importance such as environment, health, police etc.

By seeing a variety of leaders and how they handle the scrutiny hopefully allows the open minded to question their own assumptions they may have amassed through a biased paper press

It's good to see challenges from other parties, who remains cool and polite, who has sensible and credible answers.

It's good to read the body language of participants, glean who is sincere, who is just towing the party line.

It's interesting how Swinson and Sturgeon are more focused against Johnson but less vociferous to Corbyn. No more terrorism untruths, just his neutral Brexit stance is the thorn in his side to them.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-Dec-2019 14:27 Message #4764005
"It's interesting how Swinson and Sturgeon are more focused against Johnson but less vociferous to Corbyn."

Hmm I wonder why? That's a real conundrum...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Dec-2019 14:30 Message #4764006
I find these American type shows a bit of a farce. I recorded it with the intention of skipping most but I did persevere. In many ways it reminded me of this forum.

Seven politicians all with similar aims but very different ways of achieving them. They each said what was expected of them and there were no surprises. I could have written the script myself and I wouldn’t have been far off.

Not impressed by any of them. You learn a lot more in a one to one interview and I would rather leave these shows to the Americans as they love them.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Dec-2019 17:11 Message #4764010
It was interesting hearing Sturgeon on a radio interview this morning with Nicky Campbell. He asked her if she should support Corbyn and I waited for the same old, IRA, terrorist, soundbites but no. Her reasons were, in her view, inconsistency on Brexit and nuclear weapons.
As much as I like Sturgeon, she either is not aware, or is not in her interest to admit that Corbyn has not been inconsistent on these two issues, he has only changed his position because others under him have different views and he has to support the democratic majority.

So I heard him say 3 years ago he voted Remain, but like me, voting one way does not mean one is passionately pro Remain so like me, I think he would just get on with the best he can with Leave.
As for Trident, he is absolutely personally against it, but he was out voted at one of his first conferences that the party line would support Trident.

I think that is pretty strong for a leader to do, and recognise that the party line is what the majority of MPs believe in, not just an individual, even if they are the leader.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 2-Dec-2019 17:39 Message #4764011
Sturgeon is sharp though, isn't she? I mean; she's right on the ball when it comes to knowing her brief. And put her against, say ... Diane Abbot ... and Abbot looks like the school dunce at the back of the class.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 2-Dec-2019 17:41 Message #4764012
Abbott
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Dec-2019 18:46 Message #4764019
I didn't watch it either, sunday evening is for the Strictly Results show and Escape to the Chateau, then The Curse of Oak Island, I try and have oe day a week off politics. Seriously though I'm quite a political animal and even I'm bored with this election, whether we end up with the same bunch of numpties or a different bunch we'll still be governed by numpties.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »