Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What do we expect?

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 2-Dec-2019 01:57 Message #4763959
Should be a pretty straightforward question, but this election perhaps more than others has raised the point; what do we expect from our politicians? - of whatever party, and are we being unfair if/when they don't achieve those expectations?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Dec-2019 08:16 Message #4763973
Someone who has the confidence and capability to stand up to all the negativity.
Someone who gets things done.
Someone who realises money doesnt grow on trees, and that it has to be earned before spent.
Someone who lives in the real world.
Someone who believes in democracy
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Dec-2019 09:03 Message #4763974
Someone who takes the trouble to understand the impact of policies on the people at the bottom of the earning ladder or not even able to "earn" at all.

Someone who recognises that earning does not always equate to value of contribution into society.

A leader who surrounds himself with others who have their business in hand, supporting the population to be an equal as possible and fair place to live, and hence reducing the mental strain that can be imposed by leaving people with insufficient means to enjoy life.

A policy system that is not related to what was earns being what one is worth. That investment is necessary in services (as most startup businesses have to borrow at the hopefully lowest rate possible) to bring in rewards more beneficial to those using those services so they have ownership and contribution by taxation for the good of all those needing to use those services. Instead of "profit" lining the pockets and shareholders who are doing their investments for financial gain, that profit goes back into paying off the debt from the money borrowed to focus on more affordable and reliable services.

I have been reading Isabel Hardman's book "Why Do We Get The Wrong Politicians". She is a journalist writing from no political stance other than she has great insight, from interviewing all politicians, and reactions to their experiences in Parliament. A lot of policies are shoved through because those at the top have no responsibility whatsoever to research the true impact of their initially "look-good" policies.

One example from Blair's Labour (I think) was what the Conservatives nick-named Dementia Tax.
Another poorly thought our policy was what Labour nick-named The Bedroom Tax.
Her book is particularly enlightening showing how their are both good and bad politicians on all sides but that the good ones are forced to keep quiet because they just get cast out of any opportunities to progress if they make waves. That is why it can be so refreshing to see some politicians make it who have not succumbed to so the threats of career bashing by the manipulators who sadly, are often the ones who get into power.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 2-Dec-2019 23:36 Message #4764052
terry Male West Yorkshire 2-Dec-2019 01:57 new Message #4763959
Should be a pretty straightforward question, but this election perhaps more than others has raised the point; what do we expect from our politicians? - of whatever party, and are we being unfair if/when they don't achieve those expectations?

I don’t have a problem with politicians which don’t achieve what they have tried to achieve or what I hope they might achieve as long as they have genuinely tried their best and have been honest in their endeavours.
I do have a problem with politicians who only think of themselves and pleasing a small minority consisting of their cronies. Step up Johnson, Corbyn and Farage who I find are the three obvious self obsessed liars and cheats.

There are many excellent politicians but their own parties soon oust them.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 5-Dec-2019 10:17 Message #4764190
Somone who represent his/her constituents rather than the party whip.

Chris.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »