Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are bees dying out?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 20-Nov-2019 07:32 Message #4762929
If so why? What will be the long term implications if the bee population died out completely?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 20-Nov-2019 07:53 Message #4762930
I read recently that all insects are gradually declining.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 20-Nov-2019 08:36 Message #4762931
Many experts have reported bee decline over the years.
Sadly it seems to be a global problem.

The outcome would mean a world wide food shortage as they are responsible for the majority of crop pollination.

Honey has been also used for thousand of years as a natural remedy as it has ant- inflammatory properties and can help with a lot of chronic diseases e.g. arthritis and diabetes . I always use natural honey
and lemon as a cold remedy.

I was also taught in history that it was used for embalming bodies :/

Decline could be linked to pollution by chemicals, global warming, who knows . Like everything mankind is usually behind destroying the planet.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 20-Nov-2019 10:27 Message #4762939
I still seem to have plenty in my garden from Spring onwards but tends to be more the large typical picture book, bumbly ones with the black and yellow stripes. I do have quite a few foxgloved that grow in my garden and they tend to like disappearing up the bells. I notice though that when you see beekeepers at summer fairs etc selling honey they have bees on display between glass and they are always the more boring plain brown smaller ones, devoid of stripes. I have also seen the wooden hives in fields and it has always only ever been the plain small brown bees hovering around.. Just wondered if anybody knows if beekeepers ever keep the more bumbly, more attractive beees for honey? Is there a reason they don't? Will have to ask next time I see a bee keepers display. And where are the large bumbly bees in my garden likely to disappear to, with all the pollen collected?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Nov-2019 10:39 Message #4762941
Honey bee's have been struck by something called Colony Collapse where whole hives just die, there are many different types of bee not just honey and bumble. We have the chance to create massive wildlife habitats in our gardens and the good thing is you mostly just need to be less tidy. Our choice of plants can help too, ones with open faces attract more insects, rather than the ones with all sorts of ruffles that make it hard to reach the centre for the pollen. The real trick is to have a range of plants with as long a season as possible, so you go from early spring right through to late autumn to give polinators the maximum chance to feed.

You could always do a beekeeping course and have your own bees, get some wildlife hotels and things to give as xmas presents.

Nicotinamide based crop sprays seem to be having a detrimental effect on bee's, there's been a hooha about it as the EU want to ban thier use, America won't and British farmers are undecided.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 20-Nov-2019 13:46 Message #4762949
We have quite a lot of bees round here & I plant everything I can to encourage them. They seem to like blue, purple, and mauve flowers, and especially Rosemary, Buddleia, Lilac and lavender. There are many different varieties here so I am assuming they are wild. I dont know of any hives within a mile radius of us. There were beekeeping courses advertised in the library of nearyby town recently, but I thought they were expensive at £90 perl lesson ( 1.5 hour session, once a week for 6 weeks ).

Himself opened a big old suitcase in the barn the other day and inside was a huge wasps nest bigger that 2 loaves of bread, still active too. We kept well away from it till they have vacated, although they got him the day he found them..... about a dozen stings. Tbis was wasps tho, not bees.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Nov-2019 18:41 Message #4762965
Apparently insects see more of the ultraviolet spectrum than the red end so blues, mauves and white are colours they can see more easily.

Our local bee keepers association do taster days so you can go along and be around bees and learn about them a bit, what they need in terms of hive sites, what you need in terms of equipment and the costs of it all and so as you can see if you can cope with being surrounded by bee's.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 21-Nov-2019 18:05 Message #4763028
From what I know about population dynamics, all populations eventually reach a critical mass and then there is usually a crash, either through pressure on food resources or disease. Ever increasing expansion doesn't happen without an eventual crash in any ecosystem quite like it has been going with humans for the last 100 yrs or so.
Now, wouldn't it be ironic if our overuse of pesticides, habitat loss, climate change meant that there weren't enough bees to keep us in food? I have always thought that we are the architects of our own misfortune and for a while have wondered if the bee thing is signalling the end. The positive thing is that once we have gone, the planet will do just fine and will soon recover. without us.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 21-Nov-2019 18:32 Message #4763031
On QI a few years ago, they mentioned that a single bee only produces less than a teaspoon of honey during its lifetime.....so there must still be a fair few around....

I think they should start branching out a bit.....and make some Chutney as well......
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 22-Nov-2019 13:44 Message #4763092
I actually saw a very active large bumbly, bunble bee yesterday; very active and collecting pollen from a yellow flowereed. large shrub (small tree?) outside my grandchildren's school. Had been collecting them. I thought all bees would have hibernated or died off by now? It was only 6c at most, so surprised to see it looking so industrious.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Nov-2019 18:41 Message #4763103
Aparently light pollution is a major cause of the loss of many pollinating insects, don't forget there are as many or more nght polinators as daytime ones. Its a relatively easy fix too.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 30-Nov-2019 14:34 Message #4763795
Has anyone read The History of Bees by Maja Lunde? I was given it today and it looks promising.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 7-Dec-2019 08:14 Message #4764369
I googled that book png and it looks good. Have you read it yet?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 9-Dec-2019 20:13 Message #4764666
So .. are we all doomed?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »