Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Muscle

Spasms

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 20-Nov-2019 00:01 Message #4762915
I recently had back muscle spasms, they were really painful.
Although I have never been tasered (honest), I would imagine the pain level would be similar.

I cured mine by sleeping on an air mattress.
Quite often back problems are caused by an old, or unsuitable mattress.

Does anyone else get muscle spasms?

If you want to experience muscle spasms yourself?
Get someone to taser you ten times the second you get out of bed!

Disclaimer, Tasers are illegal in the UK.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 20-Nov-2019 06:47 Message #4762922
I cured mine by sleeping on an air mattress.

Air mattress or lilo?
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 20-Nov-2019 12:22 Message #4762946
At any one time in UK - around 1 in 6 people are suffering from musculo-skeletal issues - including quite often lumbar spine issues. Lumbago is an old fashioned term to describe the latter.

Sciatica in a mild form is probably the more accurate term in many cases - in effect the body has a wiring loom carrying both sensory/motor messages from the brain - the wiring loom is located within the spinal column and various branches exit along the way to operate various muscle groups. Each of the spinal vertebrae are separated by a soft disc/shock absorber - but over time certain of the more highly stressed discs can split (PID) or prolapsed intervertebral disc.

With sciatica the common PID locations are between L4/5 and S1 - and a partially extruded disc than can impinge on a local nerve and cause irritation from mild to severe - the body then responds to minimise further damage by "freezing" local muscles/ligaments to prevent movement - and that process itself can ripple out further from the core location.

The spinal column comprises a series of curves and a decent mattress will give appropriate support overnight - unlike a worn out mattress which may not.

Most episodes of lumbago should spontaneously resolve within a few days - but with recurrent episodes you should seek medical advice especially if getting more severe - with pain possibly radiating in to buttocks and down the leg. The more central the pain the better and vice versa if radiating down the leg to the foot.

In a severe case of a "trapped nerve" there can be loss of sensation/partial paralysis and if prolonged those symptoms can be permanent - hence the need to get urgent medical advice if severe. Unlike most body structures nerves do not regrow.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Nov-2019 18:45 Message #4762967
Pillows that are to squashy can cause neck problems too, my back goes into spasm quite often and it is incredibly painful.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 20-Nov-2019 19:05 Message #4762969
I have back spasms a lot as I have nerve damage caused by a schwannoma tumour ( it surrounds the nerve sheath) removed about 12 years ago.

I also have stenosis of the spine.
Both cause pain and sciatica but if it gets too bad amitriptyline can relax muscles and relief pain.

Massage also helps and infra red heat.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 20-Nov-2019 22:30 Message #4762977
I get them a lot even under my chin when brushing my teeth ...ouch! Stretching exercises usually help my lower back...
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 23-Nov-2019 11:24 Message #4763150
I get them so know how painful they can be. I replaced my comfy old sofas with a sit up and beg style. Not really my style but not had a spasm since. Coincidence?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 23-Nov-2019 12:07 Message #4763152
Sorry to hear that other people get muscle spasms.
I have not had a spasm since I changed mattress.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Nov-2019 10:59 Message #4763223
Glad its been so easily sorted for you, but it just goes to show how many people could be helped from making minor changes.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 29-Nov-2019 03:25 Message #4763693
I used to get muscle spasms in the lower leg.

The cure was simple, Lilt.

I Googled my symptoms and the answer was a lack of a chemical (can't remember which one) but it is in Pineapple.

Drinking Lilt is much cheaper, easier and safer than taking "medicine".

Many things can be dealt with, with a simple change of diet.

This is not always the best idea, but if you can keep the pharma usage as low as possible that can't be bad.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Nov-2019 07:55 Message #4763705
Pineapple contains bromelain which is a protein digesting enzyme

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »