Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Don t answer the door.

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London
15-Nov-2019 08:15 Message #4762427
Do you check who is at your door before opening it?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
15-Nov-2019 08:24 Message #4762430
I never open it, in case it is the bailiffs.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
15-Nov-2019 08:49 Message #4762434
Last time I opened it it was the coppers, shut it again quick then scarpered out the way I'd come in...through the window!
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
15-Nov-2019 08:50 Message #4762435
I have one of those posh telephone/camera things connected to the downstairs door so I know who is trying to get to me.
I had a 5 minute conversation with the local Jehovah Witnesses on said door phone recently, all very weird - needless to say I didn't let them in...
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
15-Nov-2019 10:42 Message #4762452
I do tend to open it during the day , but sometimes will look through the peep hole. Trouble with that is if they stand too close to the door I can't see them.
It can be a little worrying as I live alone in a mews, so my front door is at the back down a driveway. I have a neighbour immediately opposite me, who have cameras trained on the driveway, but they are at work all day.
I feel more secure st the weekend when they are about.
At night I always call out until the person calling at my door identifies themselves and will only open it if I recognise that person.
I do voluntary work for age uk and elderly people tend to be too trusting and will open their door straight away, some don't even ask for my ID which is concerning. I always ensure they lock the door behind me as I leave, but I have been to homes where the door is open because they are " expecting " someone. This is worrying.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
15-Nov-2019 11:12 Message #4762457
Round here its usually the postman, delievery driver or someone you've invited like a tradesperson, we don't tend to get random people knocking on the door
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
15-Nov-2019 17:30 Message #4762518
I don't have a peephole and it seems a safety chain can't be fitted but I have become quite adept at identifying people through the wavy window glass. If in doubt I nip into the kitchen (which is at the front of the house, unusually, and check from the window before opening, or not.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-Nov-2019 06:49 Message #4762826
I check who it is before I open the door when it’s after dark.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
19-Nov-2019 10:44 Message #4762837
'Course, if I'm at my place I'll open the door and usually say something like, "ey up young 'un, how's it going?" unless it's my neighbour then I ignore him.
Funnily enough, the last people to knock on my door were the police...how's that for co-incidence!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-Nov-2019 16:07 Message #4762877
We have a telephone thingie connected to the front gates so depending whether I want to let them in, I either press the open gates button or ignore them. They are too far away to see me anyway, which is always handy. The dog is a good deterrent
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
7-Nov-2020 15:09 Message #4797137
Always check first. If it's someone selling things I mouth 'thankyou' and wave them away.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
8-Nov-2020 22:31 Message #4797362
I never check before opening the door.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
9-Nov-2020 02:52 Message #4797364
I never open the door in my pyjamas......because there isn't a door in my pyjamas.......

An old joke......because they are old pyjamas.......New modern pyjamas come with doors as standard......
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
9-Nov-2020 10:51 Message #4797382
That reminds me of another old joke:-

Boy: Knocks on door of girl's bedroom, and says "Can I come in?"
Girl: "No, because I'm in my nightie, and my mum told me never to let a boy see me in my nightie. Wait a minute."
A minute passess.
Girl: "You can come in now. I've taken off my nightie."

And a Groucho Marx joke in the 1930 film Animal Crackers:-

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know."

(That joke is number 53 in the American Film Institute's 100 Greatest Movie Quotes of All Time.)

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
14-Nov-2020 22:47 Message #4797913
Nobody comes to my door. I have a locked gate.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
15-Nov-2020 08:31 Message #4797928
Good plan Colonel. People are very careless when answering their doors to strangers.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
15-Nov-2020 09:19 Message #4797935
I find the boiling cauldron of tar poured from an upstairs window deters visitors.
Male
15-Nov-2020 12:04 Message #4797972
I raise the drawbridge. Not many will swim across my moat.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
15-Nov-2020 16:33 Message #4798003
Now the real ideas are being voiced.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
17-Nov-2020 11:43 Message #4798157
Yesterday I dropped off a number of parcels to elderly and vulnerable people living on their own. Every one of them opened the door without checking who I was.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
17-Nov-2020 17:21 Message #4798170
Well, if you are a responsible person delivering parcels to the elderly and vulnerable during this lockdown aren't you supposed to drop the parcel on the step, knock the door and then move away so as to social distance and maybe being expected so therefore why would someone need to check who was at the door ... now if it was dark or late at night and not expected maybe they would be a bit more resourceful? Just my thoughts you understand!

Andy Mac
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
17-Nov-2020 18:05 Message #4798176
The answer is yes and no Andy. I have been doing deliveries for a local charity and as a very careful and responsible person the parcels are delivered to the door before knocking or ringing the bell and I do socially distance. I also wait to see if the door is answered and that the parcel is safely inside before leaving.

If the recipient hears the doorbell or knock then they can either look to see who is there or open the door without looking to see who is there. They wouldn't know where I'm standing unless they do one or the other and the point of my earlier post was that none of those I delivered to looked out prior to opening the door and I always look to se if a curtain twitches so I can give a reassuring wave :)

I agree they might be more likely to check after dark but they could be assaulted just as easily during the day so probably worth being careful at all times.
Male
19-Nov-2020 08:29 Message #4798297
Now the dark evenings are with us it makes sense for everyone to check before answering the door but especially if living alone, old or vulnerable.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
20-Nov-2020 22:33 Message #4798518
I know from my own experiences that most people open the door without checking first but it seems like madness to me. I have two teenage daughters and they would never open the door to a stranger.
Male
21-Nov-2020 10:16 Message #4798536
You've always seemed very sensible Raach.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations