Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Old desk tops

What do you do with redundant computer stuff?

Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 12-Nov-2019 14:10 Message #4762190
I'm emptying my loft and found my old desk top.

Maybe a silly question, but is it worth keeping for spares, or is it already so out of date by the time you get it back home that none of the parts are any use?

It doesn't have a hard drive in it. I took it out and put it in a case so that I could take the data off.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 12-Nov-2019 14:49 Message #4762191
I take ALL computers, smartphones, tablets and gadgets offered me as part of my own PC recycling initiative.

The actual deal is; You give me your old laptop, tablet or smartphone and, in return, I rescue, recover or professionally delete all of its files and data for free. I used to charge £30 - £60 for such services.

If it is a desktop or tower system, (Vista or XP), it is past it although such systems may still sometimes run modern Linux based operating systems. If it is newer, (W7, 8 or 10), it could be reconditioned or used for spares.

I encourage folk to take their old desktop / towers to their local recycling centre.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 12-Nov-2019 16:51 Message #4762197
Shove them on Freecycle or the likes. For most consumers they are not worth keeping (but I'm not most consumers). Mine tend to be demoted to more dedicated uses with a slimline version of GNU/Linux. For example my 3D printers.

Personally I think for most consumers they best just getting shut of them.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 12-Nov-2019 17:47 Message #4762200
Thanks both. Thought you might have something to say. :)

So just to check before I bin it; I have taken the hard drive out and kept it. Am I right in thinking that no other data will be stored on there?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 12-Nov-2019 17:49 Message #4762201
Yep.

Only the hard drives store personal / financial data.

The rest of the device can be safely deposited at a recycle centre.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 12-Nov-2019 17:54 Message #4762202
Great, thanks. :)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Nov-2019 18:49 Message #4762209
Thanks I'll tell Manthing that as both his normal pooter and his spare one packed up this week and a new one has been obtained.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 13-Nov-2019 10:30 Message #4762257
It's amazing what "rubbish" people will take off your hands with freecycle rather than having to make the effort yourself of having to take it to recycle centres particularly if you have larger items or strippable items. A lot of companies will take fridge/freezers and the likes off your hands to recondition them.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 13-Nov-2019 10:30 Message #4762258
It's amazing what "rubbish" people will take off your hands with freecycle rather than having to make the effort yourself of having to take it to recycle centres particularly if you have larger items or strippable items. A lot of companies will take fridge/freezers and the likes off your hands to recondition them.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 13-Nov-2019 10:35 Message #4762260
Freecycle is a bit of a double edged sword. You get a lot of people trying it on and wanting you to deliver and generally mucking you about. Endless emails and texts and never actually turning up. Though I did manage to get rid of a 3 door wardrobe and a load of other stuff from my garage.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 17-Nov-2019 10:02 Message #4762638
Obviously an age thing. When I read the title I thought it was about the tops of old desks.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Nov-2019 11:22 Message #4762649
I wouldn't have thought so. We are not that different in age.

Though it may be an age thing that I prefer to have a proper PC with a tower, rather than all these small devices that everyone else seem to use. I like a nice big screen and I like the idea of separates, because I like the greater flexibility. I do have a tablet type thing, but I have used it only half a dozen times, since I got it.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »