Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

How do I know if my mobile is locked to a particular company?

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 11-Nov-2019 17:53 Message #4762140
Can anybody advise me?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Nov-2019 18:19 Message #4762144
Depending on the age and type of phone, it should give you some indication when you switch it on.
If it's a smart phone the sim card will be from the particular company...
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 11-Nov-2019 18:25 Message #4762145
Insert a sim card from a different network. (Variety of sims available for a £1 in any supermarket - or just borrow a sim.

If the name of the different network appears on your handset, that means it is an unlocked phone.

If it doesn't ... It'll be a locked phone.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 11-Nov-2019 18:30 Message #4762146
Ok Beach. That sounds sensible. Is it still possible to get a sim card that will work on a 13 year old Nokia dumb phone?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Nov-2019 18:37 Message #4762147
What's the phone model we could look it up?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 11-Nov-2019 20:30 Message #4762155
Checking pics online, it's a Nokia 1100.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 11-Nov-2019 21:49 Message #4762164
If it's locked to a mobile provider it will usually have their name on it, regardless of the make/model. In the example I gave on your earlier thread, the phone was a Samsung basic no frills mobile but it was branded with the Virgin name and locked to that network using the sim they provided.
A sim from another provider would not have worked in it.
But this was the mobile that stopped working when Virgin switched to EE as that phone would not work on that new network as it wasn't compatible. I didn't bother to take it to someone to try & unlock it, so I just got a cheap, £20, unlocked basic Samsung to put the sim in.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 12-Nov-2019 11:05 Message #4762176
Hi Aely,

"Is it still possible to get a sim card that will work on a 13 year old Nokia dumb phone?"

Modern sim cards of the type sold in supermarkets are still the original standard size and have their chip located in such a position as to allow a customer to push out an "inner" micro or nano sized " smaller card from the standard format, (still containing said chip), so the answer is YES, a new sim card will fit or should fit your 13 year old phone.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 12-Nov-2019 11:23 Message #4762179
A new sim card will fit, whether it will work is another matter.
I have an old nokia "dumb"phone and a spare sim card so I tried fitting it last night - it fits but is not compatible with such an old phone.
Still, it's worth picking up a pay as you go sim from tesco or somewhere and giving it a go...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »