Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sense of humour

Do you have one?

Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 9-Nov-2019 11:12 Message #4761989
I often think that humour runs a very fine line, since being funny seems to rely mostly on either the recognition of an uncomfortable truth or someone's embarrassment or perceived foolishness.

Do you have a sense of humour?

Do you think that other people get you?

Does your soh ever get you into trouble?

Would you keep it to yourself if you thought it would offend, or do you just let it all out and bugger the consequences?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 11:18 Message #4761992
I need to think about this before answering on the grounds it could get me a swift kick in the nuts!

:-)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Nov-2019 11:23 Message #4761993
My sense of humour is a thing that often leads me to putting one foot in my mouth and then using the other to attempt to extract the first. Yes it does get me trouble, but I can also be quite subtle about it and often people miss it, people often miss it when its quite obvious too, but then its the way I tell certain jokes just dropping them into normal conversation, some people really don't like that style though. I don't tell many jokes though, its more word play like saying Fearn's all fur coat and no nickers when she's rolling around showing her bits to another dog.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 9-Nov-2019 11:33 Message #4761998
one needs a sense of humour to lighten one's life

Though some humour can be taken wrongly, some do not even get or understand others sense of humour, this is where me and my son vary , what can be funny to himself , I do not always comprehend with it
I would keep my mouth shut rather than offend some one, and say some thing in a straight manner if needs be
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 9-Nov-2019 13:41 Message #4762001
Much of my humour is self deprecating, that way I am unlikely to cause offence unless someone is really determined in their choice to be offended. It also makes me less intimidating and more approachable in the school environment.

Apart from that, I may allude to 'smutty humour' in that I will use words like 'Pardon' to someone else's phrase that may have more than one meaning. Very rarely will I blatant. I did get asked by one lad why I diss myself! It's called humour! ;-)
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Nov-2019 14:32 Message #4762003
My sensr of humour .can get me in trouble .my friend told me a story the other day .her ex husband went to the wheely bin and there was a squirrel trapped in there it clung to het ex husbands face .the shock of it
Made his hair fall out .i cracked up larfin .laura said it wasnt funny jools .then she larfed her head orf ànd said he waz a git lol lol .

A
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Nov-2019 14:32 Message #4762004
My sensr of humour .can get me in trouble .my friend told me a story the other day .her ex husband went to the wheely bin and there was a squirrel trapped in there it clung to het ex husbands face .the shock of it
Made his hair fall out .i cracked up larfin .laura said it wasnt funny jools .then she larfed her head orf ànd said he waz a git lol lol .

A
Male
Justaguy  Male  South East London 9-Nov-2019 15:18 Message #4762006
I'd say yes I do have a pretty good sense of humour albeit sometimes it's a little dark,
but what makes some people smile others just wouldn't get,
I do try not to take the mickey out of dumb folk that's just too much of an easy target
It's no fun if all your clever and witty comments are going woosh over their heads
though it can sometimes be quite hard to resist...
But I do thoroughly enjoy taking down pompous know it alls, they can expect no mercy from me
I'm also more than happy to be on the receiving end of someone's wit, if I've said or done something daft that deserves it
Then I'd accept it with a gracious smile and say "OK you got me"
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 9-Nov-2019 16:00 Message #4762007
There's a time and a place and how a person is feeling. For example, I know at the moment I'm probably lacking a sense of humour because things are a bit raw and overwhelming. I sometimes have an unfortunate sense of humour. I suffer from "funeral humour" because there's nearly always something that doesn't go quite to plan at funerals.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 17:35 Message #4762009
I think so but not many people agree with me. ;))
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Nov-2019 18:34 Message #4762018
I have a sense of humour……………….honest, but can be totally unpolitical correct...……...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Nov-2019 18:51 Message #4762019
It's one of those things where everyone thinks they've got one.....often nothing like others opinions of yourself...

I can laugh at many things, PC or not.....Most of my humour can't be used on here....as I know it would offend....

You have to have some awareness of what can be said....and when....There are certain things that I would never joke about in front of some family, for instance.....but in front of other family, it's perfectly ok....same with friends....or just the public in general....you have to be appropriate at times...

I'm sure a lot of people are similar to that.....They can laugh at some humour 'in private'....or in a certain group of friends....or if not 'laugh', it's a sort of 'acceptance' that some find it funny...even if you are only able to 'groan' at it....A lot of non PC stuff gets the 'groan' treatment off some....
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Nov-2019 18:57 Message #4762020
I learnt early on in life to laugh at myself...…..lol some laugh at others and not themselves...…..I don't like that
laugh at yourself and with others...……...lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Nov-2019 19:37 Message #4762025
I think I have a good sense of humour, perhaps a bit dry. I cannot laugh or see any humour in “jokes” which are hurtful, offensive or nasty in any way because that’s not funny and it’s not humour.
I like innuendo and I find a lot of the stereotypical blonde, Irish, Scottish etc jokes make me laugh.
Laughing at inappropriate times has got me into trouble at times.

Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 9-Nov-2019 20:40 Message #4762032
Yeap, funerals are a bugger for that !

Chris.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Nov-2019 10:06 Message #4762064
oh crikey, yes, I've done the inappropriate laughter thing and the more disapproving anyone is, the more I can't stop sniggering. It's awful, I have no control over it.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Nov-2019 10:12 Message #4762065
I would say that I probably have a fairly good sense of humour and often see the ridiculous in all kinds of situations, which amuses me, but I'm not sure that many people get my humour. In real life, I deadpan a lot and I think I must do the online version of the deadpan. Sometimes when I read back my comments, I just sound like I am grumpy, when in reality I am laughing at the situation. Having a dry sense of humour doesn't help.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 10-Nov-2019 20:25 Message #4762104
One thinks one has a sense of humour.

Whether other people "get one" is a hit and miss affair, generally speaking.

One can only get in "trouble", as it were, if one's humour is not recognised. So that would be linked with the second question, one imagines.

People can be offended at practically anything, one has noticed, However tact and diplomacy, work wonders in certain instances.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Nov-2019 20:35 Message #4762105
I also suffer from "poke the stick" sense of humour and this site is ripe for the picking of lighting blue touch paper and retiring when you get a johnny-know-all.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 11-Nov-2019 16:33 Message #4762138
I don't LOL.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »