Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

No gold watch

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 08:21 Message #4761965
Was out walking yesterday, if a church or graveyard happen to be on the route I tend to have a nosey around partly because I'm a miserable sod but mainly because I'm a nosey sod and both those places can be very interesting.
Anyway, my walking companion and I found a headstone with this gem carved on it:

'John Edward Haigh . Nettleton Hill Longwood.
He died January 28th 1879 aged 38 years.
from the effects(?) of an accident at
Parkwood Mills longwood While in the
discharge of his duty this stone fell upon him
and crushed him. in token of their respect for
his faithful service his employers have caused
this stone to be set up.'

My apologies if any of John's family are on this site and get upset at reading this, my reasoning for posting is inscriptions on gravestones are there for the world to see.
I've never seen anything like this on a headstone before, has anyone else seen any interesting ones?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 9-Nov-2019 08:52 Message #4761967
I think Spike Milligan's tombstone epitaph "I told you I was ill"
is one of the best.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 08:56 Message #4761968
I'd forgotten about that one OnlineMSE, yes, I'd agree that one is a gem.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 9-Nov-2019 18:27 Message #4762016
I think nowadays you aren't allowed to write stuff like that, you have to search the old ones... I love old graveyards but not seen one like that...……………..yet lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Nov-2019 19:32 Message #4762023
There’s something I like about graveyards. Maybe it’s the tranquility .. they’re a quiet bunch. I sometimes wander looking at headstones thinking how old or young they were when they died. When I walk through a small graveyard of those who died very young, often only a few hours or days, it puts life in perspective.
I sound a lot sadder than I am.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Nov-2019 19:49 Message #4762028
Going round a graveyard looking at the gravestones is better in the day than it is at night......At night, it seems to get too crowded around most of the gravestones, with strange scary goings on......I'm not sure where they all come from....
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 19:55 Message #4762030
Love graveyards and have found many unusual stones over the years.. One of our older ones has a large stone to 'Easter Rebecca, beloved husband of John' then her dates; also, 'Easter Rebecca, beloved husband of John' and two entirely different dates. What are the chances of a man having TWO wives by that pretty unusual name? Incidentally, John is not in the same grave so maybe he found a third wife.

There is an even older cemetery in what is now an industrial part of the city which, right at the back has a pauper's graveyard. Really small headstones - about 18-20 inches high with three names and three dates and appears to be the latest three to die in the workhouse.

Wherever I go I have to find a graveyard and so many differences in burials in different countries Ireland - triple and quadruple graves with maybe 12+ people in; Spain - bury in the walls; Turkey - odd looking tall stones and so close together you can't walk between. In Monaco we watched (from a distance) a funeral and the coffin was inserted into a sort of sloping tunnel/chute and slid underground. All just so interesting
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 9-Nov-2019 22:42 Message #4762038
b/p,

"Easter Rebecca, beloved husband of John' then her dates; "

were they more liberated than we give them credit for ? ;¬)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »