Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

South Yorkshire floods

What a difference 13 years make!

Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire 8-Nov-2019 09:54 Message #4761847
I think the last major floods were in July 2006, and I was keen to look at the devastation they caused...
I went out on my bike with a camera, and some of them I made into an album...Doncaster Flood Pictures...it's still there!
I lived in Balby then and the River Don was close by, so it was easy to get the pictures.
Now I live in Branton and I have had a stroke, so don't get out so much. Where I live wasn't affected by the floods, though there was heavy rain for about 24 hours.
Meadowhall is badly affected, I don't remember it being so bad last time.

Keith
Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire 8-Nov-2019 10:09 Message #4761851
The last floods were in 2007...but I think it was July!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 8-Nov-2019 19:47 Message #4761912
its a tragedy, streets are just wiped out so sad
Male
AQuietLife  Male  North Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 07:05 Message #4761947
If you have never been in a flooded area it’s difficult to imagine the devastation and the disgusting mess and smell it leaves behind.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Nov-2019 11:29 Message #4761996
Lived on the boat through a couple of major floods, it was actually a terrifying experience and the unsung heroes - the then British Waterways staff - were fantastic around the areas I was in. We don't really grasp the power of water until we see bridges collapsed and boats sunk, watching river water flow over a bank into a field whilst we tried to get the animals out of the field was an experience I don't want to go through again.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 9-Nov-2019 13:33 Message #4761999
With a cubic metre of water weighing one ton - one can see why a tsunami wreaks havoc - or even a fast flowing river.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »