Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Greener oil firms?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 7-Nov-2019 07:41 Message #4761721
It is not every day that a surfer and environmental campaigner addresses the annual general meeting of one of the world's biggest oil companies.
But that is what happened earlier this year, when Australian Heath Joske spoke to shareholders of the Norwegian firm Equinor at its AGM in the city of Stavanger.

Is this what it takes?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 7-Nov-2019 08:23 Message #4761724
I saw something about that on the BBC. I must go back and take a look later.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Nov-2019 10:54 Message #4761748
Can you gve us some idea of what was said by this guy please CHIOG?
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 7-Nov-2019 10:58 Message #4761752
I just googled it on the BBC.

He implored them to back a resolution, brought by a small group of investors, to stop Equinor's plans to drill for oil in the Great Australian Bight - a stretch of coastline in South Australia said to be one of the most unspoiled marine environments in the world.
Oil-and-gas extraction posed huge risks to local wildlife and the climate, says Mr Joske, who lives in the region.
"We see your plans to drill in the Bight as a direct threat to our culture and identity," he told the meeting.

Sorry that’s a bit from the same article I think but can’t get the link up. Help me chiog!
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 7-Nov-2019 14:47 Message #4761775
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50221505
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 7-Nov-2019 14:49 Message #4761776
We all understand that companies have to make profits for their shareholders so if shareholders were onside then it could be a successful plan.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 7-Nov-2019 19:07 Message #4761804
We all understand that companies have to make profits for their shareholders so if shareholders were onside then it could be a successful plan.

It could be good news if society changed just a little for the good of all.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »