Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Political posts.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 7-Nov-2019 07:37 Message #4761720
Is a forum better or worse when it includes political posts?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Nov-2019 08:05 Message #4761722
I generally stay away from it all on here nowadays....it's too much hassle.....although I'm on this one.....damn,you got me....

I think on here, it definitely makes the place more lively, whether for better or worse.....when i say more lively, I mean the only real sign of life.....nobody seems to want any thing else....The place is dead as a morgue without the extremists....Maybe that's what everyone wants.....a real morgue feeling ....creepy....

Nobody is going to persuade anyone else that 'their way is correct', or that 'we are brilliant, but you lot are all crap'....it's all so narrow minded.....and the extremists can't or won't see it....they just continue relentlessly...

And you get the 'read this, you may learn something' brigade....trying to force rubbish down your throat....the 'you know sod all...but I know it all' people plying their trade....

Anyway, that's it for now....Back to avoiding the political rubbish again....and the people who churn it out.....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 7-Nov-2019 08:33 Message #4761725
No idea if I am honest. I disregard most of it. Rather than being about a genuine interchange of ideas and views, which I might enjoy; for most of the posts on here it is more about self aggrandisement of some people, getting the last word, being a general dickhead, and a complete flight of fancy on others. I could see that if everyone involved lined up against a wall and joined in on a good honest pi$$ing contest, it would be more porductive. The gender differences would be no less obvious than they are on the fora.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 7-Nov-2019 09:21 Message #4761729
I don't think it matters really, just look at dating threads and how they often descend into men do this and women do that battles...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Nov-2019 10:21 Message #4761738
I'm back.....I'll really have to stop this or I don't know where I'll end up....

Just to add....Politics and Religion are two of the 'big ones' with regards to World wars and problems etc....Some people don't think that....but most do...

On here, the two biggest causes of issues are Politics and Religion....Recently, politics especially.....It has caused all sorts of rubbish on here.....Many many blockages, fallings out, things escalating into insults etc...men and women.....and that's just on here......When it becomes World level, it's not much wonder the wars escalate like they do....and the hatred it all creates...

Politics certainly has a bad influence of the human race.....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Nov-2019 10:53 Message #4761746
Politics is inevitable, it effects us all and I do do enjoy those threads and start wuite a few of them, but I do get so fed up with the C&P brigade and that so often it decends into a slagging match between right and left wing views and the subject of the OP falls down the middle.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Nov-2019 06:26 Message #4761840
Is a forum better or worse when it includes political posts?

With a forum as minute as this one political discussions don’t really work because one or two characters with extreme views can all too easily monopolise the conversations.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Nov-2019 10:44 Message #4761855
HorW, only if you allow them to, you can ignore posts, you can block posters and you don't have to C&P everything to write a one line reply to it.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 8-Nov-2019 11:14 Message #4761862
wonderoushen Sex icon 8-Nov-2019 10:44
HorW, only if you allow them to, you can ignore posts, you can block posters and you don't have to C&P everything to write a one line reply to it.

It would only work id everyone ignored the trolled/extremist posts otherwisde they would still dominate any conversation even if a few individuals ignored.
One of the problems with the political threads is the repetition and the knowledge of what each poster will post, with the possible exceptions of terry and wonderoushen, who will put a different slant on a subject.

i'm sure all of us see a statement on here and think "xxxx will be along in a minute with the same old repetitive dogma." and as sure as night follows day along they trot.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Nov-2019 11:39 Message #4761867
...as i've said a million times on here....
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 8-Nov-2019 12:42 Message #4761873
Yeh Yeh Yeh.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 8-Nov-2019 15:57 Message #4761884
Except, one person's troll is another person's valued contribution, with the exception being is I could cancel out personal comments which never proves a point but degrades the value of the contribution.

In answer to the op, as WH said, political conversation is particularly topical at the moment, I don't see how we could avoid it.

I think one of the greatest things, is to have different views, accept people can provide evidence and acknowledge or politely criticise it, as that is proper debate.

The nature of this site does allow us to disagree on one thread, then completely agree on something else on another thread.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Nov-2019 16:40 Message #4761887
It would only work id everyone ignored the trolled/extremist posts otherwisde they would still dominate any conversation even if a few individuals ignored.
One of the problems with the political threads is the repetition and the knowledge of what each poster will post, with the possible exceptions of terry and wonderoushen, who will put a different slant on a subject.

i'm sure all of us see a statement on here and think "xxxx will be along in a minute with the same old repetitive dogma." and as sure as night follows day along they trot.

Exactly.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Nov-2019 19:16 Message #4761909
Yes and thats why I'm saying to everyone! Of course one persons troll would another persons idea of a good post, to me one of the things that establishes when someone is a troll is that they post the same things very time they have no nuance to their posts and presumably their thinking, and their politics leaks into other threads that have nothing to do with politics.

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 8-Nov-2019 21:28 Message #4761926
What is clear to one is muddy to another.

I see politics in everything. It is interconnected with life.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Nov-2019 19:48 Message #4762027
I often discuss politics with friends and have some great conversations and I’m on another social media site where each forum consists of dozens of members consisting of some who are new and have interesting contributions.
Generally speaking mse is not ideal for political conversations and seldom offers anything new.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »