Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I can't call ee mobiles

from my landline

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 6-Nov-2019 21:22 Message #4761695
This is something which has been happening in the last couple of months. It seems to be only calls from my landline to EE mobile phones. I can't call my younger daughter, an old friend or even my own mobile, all on the EE network. I get an Americanish male voice recorded message "I'm sorry but your call cannot be completed" and then it cuts out. No additional "at this time" or other qualifier. I haven't had a problem calling other mobiles but I have no idea what service provider most of the people I know use, except for a couple who are on Tesco.

The friends and family on EE can call my landline ok but I can't call them. And NO, they haven't blocked me!

Anybody got any ideas? Neither EE nor my provider, Virgin, have been helpful.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 6-Nov-2019 21:53 Message #4761696
I have just got a friend who is also on a Virgin landline number to call my ee mobile and she got through, so it looks like it is my landline number which has the problem.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 6-Nov-2019 21:56 Message #4761697
Oh the irony. I believe Virgin use the EE network.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 6-Nov-2019 21:59 Message #4761698
With Virgin leasing the line off EE I would imagine that EE are the people to pester. Maybe make some noise in the EE shop until someone listens ;-)
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 6-Nov-2019 22:21 Message #4761699
Virgin uses the ee mobile network for its mobile phones. Neither my Nokia nor its EE (originally Orange) sim came from Virgin. I have had it for 13 years and I could ring it from my landline until recently. The Virgin landline runs on Virgin (ex CableTel) cable and is not leased from anybody.

As I said above, my friend a few roads away can connect with my ee powered mobile using her Virgin landline. I can't seem to connect with any ee powered mobile.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 7-Nov-2019 09:32 Message #4761730
It could be an issue with the changes of sims on the networks Virgin use.
1st thing to remember is that Virgin Mobile has nothing to do with the original Virgin Group as it is now owned and run as part of Virgin Media which is part of Liberty Media.
Following T-Mobile and Orange merging to form EE, many Virgin Media customers can use any phones previously locked to either of these companies, but as Virgin roams on other networks, EE SIM cards will not work in phones locked to Virgin.
So older Virgin branded mobiles which were locked to a previous system supplier eg Orange or T-Mobile will not work even though the sim might still work in an unlocked mobile.
I lost service on one of my old Virgin branded mobiles that had a PAYG sim in for a family member and Virgin also killed my original 20 year old Virgin mobile PAYG number, as it had a zero account balance. But this was only because it had a Direct Debit linked to it to charge any outstanding balance at the end of each month. But they were very unhelpful and just said hard luck.

So maybe try your Sim in an unlocked mobile to see if that can make and receive calls from your landline. If that works there are plenty of shops around that will usually be able to unlock a supplier locked mobile (a Virgin shop won't do it for you though).

And it's potentially going to get even more confusing from 2021.
Virgin Media have just announced today that they're ditching their links with BT, who own EE and that network, and will be switching to the Vodafone network.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 11-Nov-2019 17:51 Message #4762139
I don't think my mobile is locked to any network. I bought the mobile (Carphone Warehouse) and a sim which would work on it (which happened to be Orange). I don't have another mobile I can try it in. The phone is a basic Nokia. Not Smart. Not internet savvy in any way. PAYG.

I have now discovered I can't ring an 0345 number either, from my landline. Goodness knows what other numbers I can't ring!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »