Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

New, unheard, George Michael track premiered.

Called This Is How.

Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 6-Nov-2019 10:05 Message #4761637
Track will be played in full when credits role at end of George Michael / Wham inspired "Last Christmas" movie.

Link to follow.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 6-Nov-2019 10:05 Message #4761638
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=M1kWLPGUKcs
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex 6-Nov-2019 11:03 Message #4761646
A definite shoo-in for #1
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 6-Nov-2019 16:43 Message #4761670
Aaah i love george .i gave him flowers at his last concert at the new wembley stadium .he was wonderful that nite .he will be in me heart always .lovely kind man .with a amazin talent x
Female
Lainiepops  Female  Hampshire 30-Nov-2019 00:35 Message #4763775
If he meant to get it released at all, I think t would have before he went.so obvs it wasnt worthy in his eyes as a tune to be put on any of his albums,(bit like maybe those old Beatles songs that turned up out of no where they made into an album for the 'real fans' 40 years after they split up and 2 of them had passed on...)
I digress...
I heard it on my local radio first time this evening , and TBPH I didnt think it was worth much. considering all the other stuff he has written and sung over the last decades, this was quite... snoozy. But maybe is my first impression. Once I hear it a hundred times, I am sure I will love it.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 30-Nov-2019 10:17 Message #4763783
With 2 million views on Youtube over the last four weeks, @ $7 per 1000 views, the song has already earned £14,000 in ad revenue earnings for JM (RIP) … though Youtube takes 40%. Nevertheless, that means, that even while dead, George Michael is earning about $100,800 per annum from this one song on this one format! (Just under £78K)
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 30-Nov-2019 14:38 Message #4763797
I’m a fan of George and his music. This one isn’t bad. I’m certainly happy listening to it and I’m told it grows on you the more you listen.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 30-Nov-2019 16:57 Message #4763803
Agree PNG.

First of all, I just loved it because it was a new posthumous track from George Michael but when I listened again a few times, I notice the beautiful opening orchestra, the trademark slickness of the production and the clever GM penned lyrics ... and it encouraged me to continue listening to several more GM tracks, with me further clocking up more George Michael hits on Youtube.
---
At this festive time of year, it seems appropriate to recall that George Michael and Andrew Ridgley donated all of their traditional royalties for Last Christmas when together in the band called Wham.

Goodness knows how much that Wham track has been able to donate to charity over the last 35 years because The Performing Right Society, (PRS), does not reveal the answer in the interest of protecting its members’ privacy but research carried out for Channel 5 in 2016 attempted to find the answer and concluded the top earning songs EVERY YEAR are as follows:

“Merry Xmas Everybody” by Slade £1m (in royalties per year)
“Fairytale of New York” by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl £400,000
“All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey £400,000
“White Christmas” by Bing Crosby £328,000
“Last Christmas” by Wham! £300,000
“Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul McCartney £260,000
“Stop the Cavalry” by Jona Lewie £120,000
“2000 Miles” by The Pretenders £102,000
“Mistletoe and Wine” by Cliff Richard £100,000
“Stay Another Day” by East 17 £97,000

We might deduce that, even without the 458 MILLION plays on Youtube, (which must be a mind blowing earnings figure in its own right), Last Christmas must have amassed £10.5 million in old fashioned, traditional, royalty fees alone.
---
George Michael was renowned for being very generous over his lifetime, donating to big and small causes, (and helping out complete strangers on a whim), so the man deserves a great deal of respect for donating such huge sums while, all the while, somehow, managing to maintain a good old down to earth demeanour in the process.

Good on you, George. :)
---
I have to shake my head in wonder at Noddy Holder also. I mean; isn't it incredible just how fresh and how entirely natural and normal it is to hear Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody every year?

That song has turned out to be a massive earner, (and pension fund), for the indomitable Mr Holder.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 4-Dec-2019 07:02 Message #4764107
George Michael is brilliant.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »