Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Carpet or

Lino?

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 5-Nov-2019 00:00 Message #4761513
What's happened to lino, where has it all gone? what floor coverings do you have? is there a future for lino salesmen?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 5-Nov-2019 06:16 Message #4761522
I don’t think they use the word lino much as it gives the impression of a cheap product but I think they still make lino in the form of cushion floor and fake floorboards.

Fitted carpets have lost popularity too with large rugs being more fashionable.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Nov-2019 09:26 Message #4761539
Interesting. I need to replace the flooring in my lounge. I prefer carpets for warmth and noise reduction, but muddy cat paws and cat fluff with my asthma suggest that hard floors might be better. I've no idea what I should get though.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 5-Nov-2019 09:42 Message #4761545
Terry, I have cushion floor (it's a thicker, more expensive form of what we know as lino )

It's brilliant , very practical and comes in fantastic contemporary colours.
I have it in my bathroom and kitchen.

Elsewhere I have wooden flooring with large rugs. Just easier to manage .
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Nov-2019 09:58 Message #4761546
I can't stand laminate flooring.
I can understand that for some it's useful, high footfall areas or because of having children or animals but I prefer carpet throughout. Always seems more cosy some of that down to the sound deadening of the underlay and carpet. But cushion flooring in the kitchen and bathroom.
As far as being easier to manage I never get that as an argument as flooring (especially if there are rugs etc.) still needs vacuuming/cleaning just as often as carpeting.
And rugs, especially when on laminate or tiled flooring are a definite slip and trip hazard.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 5-Nov-2019 10:22 Message #4761549
I’ve done a bit of research recently since I moved into this house. It has laminate flooring downstairs which is cold and noisy. On the plus side it’s relatively easy to clean which is a bonus when you have a cat and a living room which opens straight into the garden.
I’ve still not decided what to replace it with when I have some spare cash but during the course of my research I found that Lino is; still made as it used to be, incredibly hard wearing and used in many commercial situations. It’s also expensive.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2019 10:35 Message #4761555
We had laminate in the hall which as others have said was noisy and hard underfoot, you have to have the right cleaning products for it and you can't use a steam mop, which with so many paws in and out is a no brainer in our house. We recently replaced it with a cushioned vinyl, its lovely, its quiet to walk on, hard wearing, I can use the steam mop, it looks good, its really good for my bad feet and knees as helps to absorb impact from walking, I'd love to have it in the kitchen to instead of the hard tiles.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 5-Nov-2019 16:29 Message #4761589
OnlineMSE,

My rugs are not a slip hazard as I've got anti slip mats underneath, but yes I agree carpets do look cosy.
However when you have children/pets a wooden floor or vinyl is more hygienic as I wash mine on a daily basis with an antibacterial agent. If I had carpet with a constantly moulting cat, it would drive me nuts !

Wish my neighbour upstairs had carpet though, nelly the elephant would make less noise lol
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Nov-2019 19:28 Message #4761607
I really dont like laminate floors but here we have flagstones right thru the ground floor area. They are cool in summer and warm in winter, but they show dust & dirt. I prefer fitted carpets but I am asthmatic so they are not really advisable. We are wondering what we should have with our pending move.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Nov-2019 22:41 Message #4761621
i have vinyl in the kitchen and bathroom, with quite a good realistic wooden plank effect.

having wooden floors they are carpet laid, some years ago the underlay was in very poor condition [dust!] and one windy night there was a particularly strong gust of wind, and i watched in amazement as the carpet rose about 10 inches, scaring the dogs in the process...all due to the under floor ventilation.

the neighbour spent a lot of time sanding and polishing the flooring last year when she moved in, now its all carpeted, too draughty apparently...she was warned by a couple of other neighbours but i guess theres nothing like finding out for yourself !

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »