Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is christianity

The West's only hope against islam?

Male
MikeNorthWales  Male  Conwy 4-Nov-2019 21:38 Message #4761488
Secularism isn't going to cut it when push comes to shove. What do you think?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Nov-2019 21:56 Message #4761490
We don't need to be against Islam. Those who follow the Koran closely, know it is a peaceful religion. You might be mixing Islam up with ISIS or Daish of which most Muslims fear as well.

I know many Muslim people and they are generally lovely, reasonable, kind and have great senses of humour.
Male
MikeNorthWales  Male  Conwy 4-Nov-2019 22:19 Message #4761493
JusLyn Have you read the Quran I somehow don't think you have it But I could be wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEcBzxoMB8
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 4-Nov-2019 22:25 Message #4761494
What a nasty, ill informed and ignorant original post.

Muslims, (followers of Islam), make up 24% of the worlds population, with Islam being practised by over 1.8 billion people. (Christians represent a further 31% of the world’s population with 2.3 billion followers.

It is ridiculous to even begin to think that just because a few Muslims or Christians do something bad or abhorrent that, perhaps, a quarter (or more) of the Earth’s whole population should be regarded as a significant threat.

And why bring up secularism?

Has some politician, somewhere, mumbled something about ensuring religion should be kept out of the affairs of state or something? Or is the O.P making some coded comment regarding atheism?

And what would that have to do with hope or something not cutting it?

Utterly bizarre thread … and I won’t be returning to it.
Male
MikeNorthWales  Male  Conwy 4-Nov-2019 22:29 Message #4761495
I think we can take it that YOU haven't read the Quran either
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 4-Nov-2019 22:46 Message #4761496
Indulging in a touch of scaremongering eh Mike?
Male
MikeNorthWales  Male  Conwy 4-Nov-2019 22:50 Message #4761497
Nice one NigelInDevon lol
Male
MikeNorthWales  Male  Conwy 4-Nov-2019 23:10 Message #4761504
Utterly bizarre thread … and I won’t be returning to it.
I take it your not up for a debate then So we just run away Sad
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Nov-2019 23:46 Message #4761510
Could you clarify what you mean when you say secularism isn't going to cut it when push comes to shove? in what way do you mean 'push comes to shove'? push or shove what?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Nov-2019 23:54 Message #4761511
Sorry, I should have also added, 'the west's only hope against islam', do you mean islam poses a threat in some way to christianity or to the west?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 5-Nov-2019 06:27 Message #4761523
MikeNorthWales Male Conwy 4-Nov-2019 21:38 new Message #4761488
Secularism isn't going to cut it when push comes to shove. What do you think?

Do you think we need a religious war?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Nov-2019 09:22 Message #4761537
I've read bits of the Qur'an translated. I've also read quite a lot of the Old Testament. Not sure how having read those tomes would be considered significant in the light of the OP. I thought that they were quite striking in their similarities. And that should not be surprising, considering their origins.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2019 10:44 Message #4761559
What Minnie, JustLyn and others have said. We need fewer zealots of all stripes, without the zealots trying to tell others how to live and which Gods they can worship or not we might all be able to live more peacably.
Male
Lovealways  Male  Cheshire 5-Nov-2019 19:17 Message #4761602
Mike needs to do a degree is common sense and decency not fine art as ignorance is making him blind to his surroundings.reading stuff on the internet without common sense makes you a Mike from North Wales.
People like you are the biggest obstacle for progress of harmony in this world ..... I could say more but it requires a certain amount of intelligence to comprehend

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 5-Nov-2019 19:21 Message #4761605
As he run away?
Does he not want to debate?
Ok Mike, run away and hide.

hahahaha
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 7-Nov-2019 12:16 Message #4761769
I respect all religions mike .we can learn alot from diversity .i was helpin my grandaughter with her re homwork .we were discusing all religions .i told her àll about .my dad who was catholic and her greatgrandfather who was jewish .her other other greatgrandfather was seik .my jewish nana used to pray with her lovely friend in the baptist church ..she loved the gospel music .i loves all mike .maybe you could do the same eh x
Male
AQuietLife  Male  North Yorkshire 7-Nov-2019 22:33 Message #4761825
You’re a wise lady joolsy. Maybe due to being brought up by a wise family.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Nov-2019 10:50 Message #4761857
If I remember rightly this was one of Mike's pet posts when he was here before and it always stirred up lot of controvercy then so I guess he's hoping for a rerun.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Nov-2019 11:44 Message #4761868
I'm not a great one for the Bible and the god rubbish.....and I've never read the Quran....but it seems that followers of the bible don't take things in it as literally as followers of the Quran...

Some of the commandments in the bible, for instance.....If they were followed literally....most of us would be dead....killed...for not following them properly....
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 8-Nov-2019 17:26 Message #4761893
Whether one likes it or not, the Bible is probably one of the most significant tomes ever written. However as literacy in those days was confined almost exclusively to the clergy, or who acted as such. It is not surprising that a certain bias is established.

Belief and believe, however, are two different things. That in tandem with the earliest form of journalism are involved, one shouldn't be entirely surprised at the results.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Nov-2019 10:23 Message #4762069
Maybe he wants us all to convert to Christianity? Fat chance, in my case. Once I had concluded that I don't believe in original sin, a saviour became somewhat redundant and I realised that therefore being a Christian was impossible for me.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Nov-2019 11:33 Message #4762072
Or atheism, I seem to remember there was a time when posts like this would be put up there's be a couple of reasonable posts then the heavy duty atheists would pile in and it would end up with spats about various strands of Abrahamic religion and how crap they were and how people woud stop dying in wars if there was no religion, like humans can't find anythig else to fight about. Anyone of a non Abrahamic faith would be ignored at best of just slagged off at worst.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »