Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sir Lindsay Hoyle

New Speaker in HoC

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 4-Nov-2019 20:33 Message #4761475
He's got to be better than the verbose, smirking toad, John Bercow.

Sir Lindsay has been a much respected chief deputy speaker for some time.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Nov-2019 21:19 Message #4761483
I was impressed with Chris Bryant though, I'm just glad Mother Hen of the house Harriet Harman didn't win...
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 4-Nov-2019 21:28 Message #4761487
I liked John Bercow. He did a great job of keeping the rabble in line.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 4-Nov-2019 23:08 Message #4761503
Watching John Bercow annoying everyone was entertaining. Lindsay Hoyle seems to be a good choice.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Nov-2019 23:13 Message #4761507
"junior health minister Simon Burns’s driver reversed into the Speaker’s car in a Parliament courtyard.

The Prime Minister described how the diminutive Mr Bercow appeared and told Mr Burns: “I’m not happy!” To which Mr Burns replied: “Well, which one of the seven dwarves are you?”

whenever i see bercow i always think of this remark.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Nov-2019 09:10 Message #4761534
Well he's definitely not Dopey, but you wonder why he wouldn't be Happy.
During his tenure (up to 2018) he received not only an MP's salary totalling c. £765k but additional Speakers remuneration of £849k.
In 2012 he refused to follow other senior MP's in turning down the gold-plated £1m non-contributory pension given. So he'll be on c.£38k pa (index-linked of course) now he's retired and as a retiring Speaker he'll be granted a life barony.
He got through c.£250k of public money for foreign travel (naturally all on "official business")
& he's lived in the 4 bedroom private accommodation above the Speakers residence at the Palace of Westminster.
Maybe as he's hi-ho, hi-ho'ing away with his wheelbarrow of loot he should be Bashful.
Order! ORRR-DERR !
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Nov-2019 09:36 Message #4761543
I didn't really like him....or the way he said Orrr-derrr....and his wife was an embarrassment at one stage....she seems to be hidden away more nowadays....but he seemed knowledgeable and a good 'speaker'.....I don't begrudge him his money and retirement plan.....It takes a lot to get the job....Most people couldn't do it....or even get into a position to be considered for it...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Nov-2019 09:37 Message #4761544
That was Bercow I was talking about.....The new one sounds as though he would be good for Cricket bats....
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 5-Nov-2019 12:56 Message #4761570
Ha ha I got that.... Linseed oil.
Apparently, he is going back to the traditional wig and costume and hopefully he will ban the pathetic clapping that seems to have become the norm...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2019 19:04 Message #4761600
I think he said he wantd to put a stop to clapping.

I quite like Bercow, he was always entertaining to listen too and Orrderrr has become an international catchphrase now.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 6-Nov-2019 22:35 Message #4761703
Well he's definitely not Dopey, but you wonder why he wouldn't be Happy.
During his tenure (up to 2018) he received not only an MP's salary totalling c. £765k but additional Speakers remuneration of £849k.
In 2012 he refused to follow other senior MP's in turning down the gold-plated £1m non-contributory pension given. So he'll be on c.£38k pa (index-linked of course) now he's retired and as a retiring Speaker he'll be granted a life barony.
He got through c.£250k of public money for foreign travel (naturally all on "official business")
& he's lived in the 4 bedroom private accommodation above the Speakers residence at the Palace of Westminster.
Maybe as he's hi-ho, hi-ho'ing away with his wheelbarrow of loot he should be Bashful.
Order! ORRR-DERR !

Some consolation for Bercow when he is being criticised!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »