Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

As Marie-Antoinette said ,Let them eat cake

------ If only !!!!

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 4-Nov-2019 17:11 Message #4761445
On my many jaunts around the countryside, I like nothing better than popping into a tea room for a hot drink and cake, a treat enjoyed by many.
It's one of life's little pressures, my
"reward" after a long walk.

However, on the last 3 occasions this indulgence has been spoilt by......
STALE CAKES !!!

They pose as beautifull and seductive with sensual names to entice and alure me to being unfaithful to
MR. KIPLING...I know, totally sinful but I give in, knowing what pleasure awaits me ;)

But nooo , they lie !!! As many have done before :(

Old, out of date, with or without a soggy bottom.....hmmm this is sounding familiar, but I just can't place my finger on it ;)

I've tried sponges to tarts...scones are the worst,
I thought I'd be smart yesterday and pick from a virgin display, untouched and looking desirable,
Orange, apricot and almond....whats not to like ???

I bit into it with enthusiasm, salivating at the delight which sat in front of me, looking so sweet and innocent, but it turned out to be the cake from hell...Once again deceived !!!! :((

How can this keep happening ??

I have decided that it's better the devil you know, so in future I'm going to have a love affair with loyalty and good taste, yes faithful....

MR. KIPLING

End of this tale of woe :(((
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 4-Nov-2019 18:15 Message #4761447
Hi Topaz,
I have a friend that you would really like.
If anyone gave him a stale cake, he would be straight to the counter.
WTF do you call this, and he never stops, he would walk away with a full cake or 2.

I was at a check out once, someone talking to the checkout person, very inconvenient for me.
But Russ was behind me, they soon shifted.

* Excuse me, have you got nothing to do, because I @@@@ing have*
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Nov-2019 18:37 Message #4761448
I'm not much of a cake eater, but I do love an M&S bakewell tart, its what I call a proper bakewell, no cherries or icing, just crumbly pastry, raspberry jam and almond sponge.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 4-Nov-2019 19:57 Message #4761467
Mr Kiplings cakes are not to my taste. Over sweet and cloying in the mouth. A home made sponge with lemon curd or raspberry jam filling, definitely no icing, or a home made carroway seed cake are the best.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 4-Nov-2019 20:26 Message #4761474
That's the point Aely,I AM eating homemade cakes in tearooms but they are crap.!!..I don't like or eat bought cakes.

The Mr. Kipling was tongue in cheek.
The only time I eat cake is on a Sunday, as a treat, otherwise I'm more than capable of baking my own, but a whole cake for one ??
... I end up giving it all away :(
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 4-Nov-2019 20:38 Message #4761476
Contrary to popular belief, Marie Antoinette didn't say it. But it helped antagonism to the French monarchy.

Indeed, she was generally sympathetic to poor people.

I prefer bread to brioche, which I find to be dry.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 4-Nov-2019 21:28 Message #4761486
Cakes are pretty well a thing of the past for me. Gluten free cakes are pretty yukky.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2019 10:27 Message #4761552
Have you tried Crimbles Minnie? I couldn't tell that their fruit cake was free from, gluten, eggs and all sort of other things.

I find shop bought cakes to sweet and sickly too, that horrible fake cream that so many of them have and jam thats a sweet red ooze with no taste.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 5-Nov-2019 12:45 Message #4761569
A tek it by cakes, thas acshuly meanin buns, cos thats reight name for em, not that posh name cakes.

Having a sweet tooth (if I had any teeth to be sweet!) I like a nice ham and banana sarnie when out walking, finishing off with some chocolate or a nice bun - like a chocolate muffin or one of those coconut with icing things. Who makes 'em I'm not all that bothered, when hungry I'll eat most makes, even my own, which are pretty horrible!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 6-Nov-2019 17:45 Message #4761679
Terry, a cake is a cake and a bun is a bun. The latter is a two or 3 mouthful thing, the latter is the real deal, to be eaten in slices.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 7-Nov-2019 14:51 Message #4761778
You seem to have an excess of latters there, Aely? Should one of the latters have been a former?
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 7-Nov-2019 15:47 Message #4761781
Ooooh cake and buns and dougnuts .love em all...1homemade are the best .have you tried the cakes in lidls bakery bit .im addicted to there paine a chocolates or my days i have two for brekkie i nos im a fatty lol
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 7-Nov-2019 15:50 Message #4761782
Oooh ive just noticed .you look very handsome terry in your new pic .
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 7-Nov-2019 18:21 Message #4761799
Actually, One has to point out, that Marie Antoinette didn't say that. It was a Spanish noblewomen some considerable time earlier.

Like a lot of these commonly attributable sayings it's nature is apocryphal.

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 7-Nov-2019 22:51 Message #4761829
Thanks Orson but Jeff made that point several days ago.
It's irrelevant really wether it was said or not or by whom as it was said in humour, the whole post wasn't to be taken too seriously :)
Male
AQuietLife  Male  North Yorkshire 7-Nov-2019 22:57 Message #4761831
I thought Mr Kipling had said it.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Nov-2019 10:47 Message #4761856
What I hate is when I see a lovely looking chocolate cake and order a slice to find it dosen't taste of chocolate, it dosen't taste of anything much except blandly sweet "cream".
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Nov-2019 11:48 Message #4761871
A little known fact......Marie Antoinette actually said 'Let them eat Jaffa Cake'.....and then someone said that they were a biscuit....and chopped her head off....then it was found that they are actually a cake.....
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 8-Nov-2019 12:41 Message #4761872
If Marie Antoinette didn’t mention Jaffa Cake I bet she’s reading this and kicking herself.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Nov-2019 16:40 Message #4761888
Good thread. We need a few laughs.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 8-Nov-2019 17:11 Message #4761891
One doesn't often frequent this site. So one was previously unaware of the aforementioned member's remark.

As the alleged comment was included in the original post, one imagines it was in some way necessary. Otherwise why write it?

However, one apologises for the intrusion.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 9-Nov-2019 17:46 Message #4762010
Orson, it's a tongue in cheek comment, don't take it too seriously :)

Anyway, getting back to the thread,
Do you like cake ??
Have you seen a cake that looks ABSOLUTELY yummy, only to find its stale and probably sat under the cover longer than it should have ;)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Nov-2019 17:52 Message #4762013
Yes usually in garden centres in late afternoon, I've also found it in a certain cake brand that sells yummy looking chocolate cake that tastes of nothing except bland greasy sweetness.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Nov-2019 09:12 Message #4762055
A bit off topic but I had a slice of delicious home made chocolate cake with tiny squares of chocolate in it. Even the smell when ti was first put on the table was yummy (licks lips at the thought).

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »