Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Good films

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 1-Nov-2019 22:50 Message #4761141
Any good films out at the moment? Or series/box sets.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 2-Nov-2019 07:01 Message #4761164
There is a film out Downton Abbey which should be good for fans of the tv series.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 3-Nov-2019 12:13 Message #4761341
I just saw ‘ Official Secret(s)’ starring Keira Knightley. I enjoyed it very much.

Last week I saw the Chris Morris film ‘ The Day Shall Come’. Again I enjoyed that though some people walked out early on.

Speaking to others after the films ; mixed thoughts about the Chris Morris, more endorsements for the Keira Knightley. Personally I enjoyed them both and found them thought provoking in different ways.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 4-Nov-2019 08:41 Message #4761422
Box sets drive me mad trying to find time to keep up with the plot.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Nov-2019 09:36 Message #4761426
Only things I've seen recently, a DVD of 'I, Daniel Blake' and the film 'Abominable'.
Liked 'em both, also, last night on telly was 'Dances With Wolves', hadn't seen that for ages and it's still a great film.

Sorry they're not really recent, daughter went to see the new Lion King film, they really enjoyed that.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 4-Nov-2019 11:08 Message #4761429
i watched The Best of Men about Stoke Mandeville Spinal Ward after the war. Very good film but another oldie.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Nov-2019 11:15 Message #4761433
One of my favourites is "Harvey" with James Stewart as a guy with an imaginary huge white rabbit.
I also received another favourite last year on DVD, "Hobson's Choice" with John Mills.
Our local art cinema often shows oldies and one they show every year is James Stewart in "It's a Wonderful World", a Christmas feelgood movie, though it starts with him wanting to commit suicide.

I have just seen "Sorry, I Missed You" by Ken Loach who did "I, Daniel Blake" which are based on real life stories.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 4-Nov-2019 12:38 Message #4761439
I’m going to see Ken Loach’s (I, Daniel Blake) latest film on Friday morning. It’s called ‘Sorry I Missed You) (?) looks to be along the lines of Daniel Blake which I found very moving. I’d better take a big hanky and wear waterproof mascara.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 4-Nov-2019 12:39 Message #4761440
Oops sorry JL didn’t read your post properly.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Nov-2019 22:03 Message #4761491
It's OK.
I'm not sure I could say I enjoyed "Sorry, I missed You" but then it isn't intended to be entertaining.
I think Loach deliberately casts unknown actors. It has a certain authenticity but unlike "I, Daniel Blake" was more linear in storyline.
See what you think.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »