Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I was chatting to a young friend

mobile phones etc

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 30-Oct-2019 21:05 Message #4761008
I was chatting to a young friend of mine the other day. He is 25. He asked me if, as a teenager, I had had a mobile phone.

I tried to explain to him that mobile phones and the like didn't exist when I was a youngster. He was perplexed. But you must at least have had a computer of some sort, he said, a laptop or even just a note pad perhaps?. Well, no, I replied. They didn't exist either. Not for ordinary people anyway and not at all anything like we have today. I told him the electronic pocket calculator didn't really become available until the mid 1970s when I was already well into my 20s. He still didn't get it!

No, he said, that can't be right. How could you contact anybody without a mobile phone or a computer? That can't be right. He did a quick bit of checking on his smart phone before he would believe me.

I felt like an ancient relic of times past, so I walked on, keeping a sharp lookout for lurking sabre tooth tigers...
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 30-Oct-2019 21:23 Message #4761010
its amazing how technology has come around since'back in the day', I have 4 children with an age gap between no 2 and no4.
no 1 says I spoilt nos 3 and 4 cos they had computers and the older ones didn't..i keep telling them that when they were young,,,,,normal people didn't have one, lol as my oldest had left home by the time my youngest became teenagers sorts had become cheaply available...….
now with grandkids?...they just think I lived with dinosaurs.....

my microwave broke last year and took me a week or so to get a new one...I couldn't heat up a plate of food, had to use a pan for a tin of soup, jacket potatoes took forever in an oven...….it was gobsmacking figuring out what I did years ago.lol
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 30-Oct-2019 22:13 Message #4761012
Euro..."jacket potatoes took forever in an oven"

But they taste sooooo much better done in the oven. Skin nice and crisp instead of soggy.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Oct-2019 22:16 Message #4761013
I've just tonight signed up for a talk about mathmatics, what will all the professional mathematicians do going forward? now they mainly use machines and technology to do the work, will there still be a place for someone doing calculations with a pen and paper in the future? in fact, will a mathematician do calculations with a pen and paper?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 31-Oct-2019 09:04 Message #4761026
Having worked in IT for 36 years I amazed at the number of my cadets, who while owning a smartphone, have no idea how it all works.

Trevor
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 31-Oct-2019 16:15 Message #4761050
Nigel, best way to do Jacket pots is microwave them first in clingfilm , then rub a bit of salt and o/oil on them and then oven on high for about 8 minutes. Its hard to tell the difference.
V x
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 31-Oct-2019 16:30 Message #4761053
But V,
How long do you microwave them for a start! ? <);^/
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 31-Oct-2019 18:45 Message #4761058
I was baby sitting a friends young daughter and I asked her if she'd like to watch some childrens programs from when I was little, so I put on a video of watch with mother, she watched for a bit and then said, 'why's it all grey?' I felt so ancient having to explain that colour tv didn't exist then. I had a similar thing with my young uni friends when I said that there was no such thing as daytime tv when I was a child, there was the lunchtime news followed by watch with mother then it shut down until about 4:30 and then shut down for the night about 10:30 and played the national anthem.

Did you tell him about phone boxes Aely?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 1-Nov-2019 10:39 Message #4761097
Had a computer in the 90s and used it for typing up dissertations whilst at college but was never really interested in technology.

Have a smart phone but all I use it for is messaging and phoning.
Only have watts app because my niece installed it as I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

On the odd occasion when it's playing up and I have to go into the mobile phone shop and a youngster sorts it in 2 seconds , I REALLY feel old.

My son tells me my phone is c**p but I'm scared to update it .
I'm such a dinosaur and quite embarrassed to admit it !!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Nov-2019 11:22 Message #4761102
Don't worry about it Topaz, I don't have a mobile at all, I love watching and hearing peoples faces slide off the front of their heads when I tell them, I don't do faceache or twatter either. I don't feel the need for any of it, although many are shocked that I don't, I'm a total technoklutz at the best of times, but after living for 10 years in a place with no mobile reception I got out of the habit of it and in that time smart phones came along and its totally left me behind. I don't play games, or listen to music through headphones, I don't really have anyone I'd want to talk too and things like Youtube are really starting to annoy me, but maybe because manthig keeps showing me stuff thats I have no interest in at great volume.

But seriously why should people be embarassed to admit they don't know how to use tech, be pretty much bullied into having something thats way more advanced than they need and be sold expensive packages to maintain things like data allowances that they don't use? You don't even get instructions for phones and stuff anymore, we're all suppose to "know", its intutitive, well I don't know who's intuition but its not mine.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 1-Nov-2019 11:53 Message #4761107
I worked in the IT industry....until a few years ago....and some of the technology we had was dated back to the 70's/80's etc.....with some updates of hardware and software along the way...

An example being the IBM mainframes that some clients were still using....MVS Operating systems...Dumb terminals....MVS commands etc...

New 'recruits', especially youngsters, starting out, had generally never seen anything like it....Them with their 'mobile' technology...starting out on a career in IT.....and then they see what they will actually be operating....

The mainframes were big powerful things....but technology has moved on so much....although some businesses preferred to stick with mainframes for as long as they could...
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 2-Nov-2019 17:39 Message #4761231
A certain large, British company famous for building aircraft, ships, subs, didn't introduce PCs for its office staff until 1998 and then only for the top dogs. We plebs didn't get them until 2000. I was one of the few people there who actually knew how to use one!

WH, my friend was aware of telephone boxes but wasn't sure why they were there. I sometimes like to listen to music on my MP3 player when I am gardening but they are pretty redundant now with Smart Phones. I've got my 13 year old Nokia for emergency use. It was difficult to get a totally dumb mobile even then.

These days youngsters don't know how to load a cassette into a tape recorder. Many have never seen a VCR. My elder daughter is still to be totally convinced of the enhanced sound quality of vinyl, but the tide is actually turning back on that.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 2-Nov-2019 18:10 Message #4761241
Ah ... mainframes.

Yes I worked on a few, IBM was always the figurehead machines but the others (Hitachi, Unisys, Sperry, Fujitsu-ICL and others) were good machines. Nothing like the current 'workstations' that can crash frequently. Big IBM machines could take over an hour or so to boot up, that's not too much of a problem for a system that is expected to run for 5+ YEARS without restarting or any problem. Most hardware could be replaced without stopping the machine.

I have many, many tales of IBM systems that were never properly maintained as required and would refuse to restart when some essential upgrade necessitated a reboot.

SQL
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 2-Nov-2019 22:27 Message #4761275
tech and youngsters ...

is something going wrong with the young, they dont appear to listen to what is being said to them/short attention span ?

when i use the chipshop i phone my order through first so im not hanging around when i get there.
last week i had to tell the assistant three times that i had come to pick up a phone order before the penny dropped, and this is face to face...she just wanted to know what i wanted and what salad would i want with that even though it was all sorted.

tonight on phoning the order through i ordered what salad i wanted and then confirmed the order again, and you know whats coming...yes, one of the salads was missing when i got home.

this is basic communication they seem incapable of, and should they be customer facing ?
i find this is happening more frequently.

unless of course...that night i was abducted by alians they reprogrammed me to talk a different language, because thats what it feels like at times !

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Nov-2019 12:00 Message #4761337
Sounds like poor comunication between those who take the order and those who prepare the food. But you have a chipshop that does salad!!!!? I've never heard of that before, what sort of salads?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 3-Nov-2019 12:23 Message #4761345
it was the youngster on the phone who got it wrong, as when we recapped i didnt hear him say lettuce, so i reemphasized the order to him, and he just replied "yes".
when the older workers hear lettuce/cucumber/tomato they know who its for, indeed if they take the order they dont bother asking what i want, as im so predictably boring !

w/h, its salad to go with a doner kebab ;¬)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Nov-2019 18:56 Message #4761452
Oohhh, I thought you meant that you're chippy did salad as an option instead of fish and chips.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 4-Nov-2019 21:05 Message #4761480
My first experience of a computer was in 1966 when, after 3 days instruction in programming, I wrote a program to find the optimum thickness of bus bars to convey the electrical current generated by solar cells on the UK's Arial 3 satellite. The computer was a mainframe using Mercury Autocode, a development of 1950s Cambridge Autocode.

I was surprised when, in 1986, I started teaching myself to program the BBC-B and Acorn Electron home computers and discovered I already knew a lot of the commands!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »