Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Alarming.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 29-Oct-2019 18:34 Message #4760916
Do you have a burglar alarm? A smoke or fire alarm? A co2 alarm? Any other alarm?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Oct-2019 18:42 Message #4760921
Smoke and CO2, I suppose Pickle dog could be described as a burglar alarm, she has a piercing bark for just about anything, she yodels and howls at the phone, she even used to have specific barks for different people on the answer phone, gruff little barks for my dad and excited puppish ones for my mum.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Oct-2019 20:22 Message #4760932
Yes, all and lots of them everywhere. Having been burgled a few years back , we learnt our lesson.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 29-Oct-2019 22:07 Message #4760943
A timely reminder as I have all three fitted the smoke alarm is the only one which I know is in working order.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Oct-2019 08:27 Message #4760963
A very timely reminder as there is a much higher risk of fire over Christmas with more electrics connected and burning candles around.
Smoke alarms are cheap and easy to fit although it’s worth choosing a brand name you can trust for such an important item.
It’s worth checking with elderly relatives and neighbours to see if they have one. The local fire service will do a risk assessment and often provide a free alarm too.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 30-Oct-2019 08:57 Message #4760967
Burglar alarm with multi room sensors, CO2, Smoke detectors

Always change batteries on the CO2 and Smoke detectors on Boxing Day
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 30-Oct-2019 09:09 Message #4760968
I have a carbon monoxide alarm. Not sure about CO2. The air is full of the stuff. How does that work?
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex 30-Oct-2019 09:42 Message #4760970
I have a house alarm and a smoke detector. I know they do it for convenience but I don't like that a lot of smoke detectors are now sealed, so when the inbuilt battery dies you have to dispose of it and get a new unit.
But a c02 detector. Hmm maybe it detects if you're breathing out too excessively. Although no idea what would cause you to pant excessively indoors !!! lol
But there's a good plan in Apollo 13 for how to make a co2 filter with a few random items that might be found around the home, a la Blue Peter styley.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 30-Oct-2019 09:43 Message #4760971
It's not CO2 (carbon dioxide) but carbon monoxide, the silent killer.

If your house/bungalow is built correctly you only need this when you have an open gas, coal or oil fire.

Did you know that fire-alarms only last 10 years? Should be replaced every decade.

SQL
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Oct-2019 10:27 Message #4760978
There is a lot of confusion between the carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2) alarms which can only detect one of the gases because different detection sensors are used. Even in shops and online asking for CO2 detectors will usually bring up one which detect carbon monoxide.
A couple of years ago , I think it was a home safety campaign, the Red Cross were confused and were giving the wrong advice to people buying detectors.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 30-Oct-2019 16:26 Message #4760991
I only have a smoke alarm. Do burglar alarms actually stop burglars? Just wondered as when I lived in Danbury a few year back now, I had two neighbours who had them and they would drive me mad as always going off. And not once a burglar. I always thought it woul be the best time to rob a house, as everyone assumes false alarm and attempts to get as far away from sound as possible. I am sue they only needed a spider to stray in for them to go off. A bit like car alarms, which everyone equally ignores. I house sat once, where they wanted me to set the alarm before retiring to bed. I was told after setting, make sure gate on stairs closed, so that the dogs do not set the alarm off. So, quickly switched it on, hurried through gate on stairs and closed behind me. Half way up all hell broke loose; the alarm clanging like mad. Rushed down and turned off and left it off. Didn't wish for a second attempt at disturbing all the neighbours, and not one neighbour came to investigate, if there was a burglar or not, dispite the ear pitching extremely loud noise? I could well have been being attacked by one for all they knew. Not sure how I was suppposed to get up stairs without alarm going off, fly perhaps? Had assumed would be given enough time but I could not have done it half a flight of stairs quicker than I had. To me burglar alarms seem more bother than they are worth and nobody ever takes any notice.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 30-Oct-2019 19:35 Message #4761000
2 smoke alarms, one up, one down plus a CO alarm in the kitchen (where the gas is). I test the the smoke alarms by having a roll-up immediately beneath them. Also, as a smoker, my breath contains a certain amount of CO (according to my doctor) so I tesedt the detector by breathing on it.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-Nov-2019 21:22 Message #4761259
I have a burglar alarm on my house and garage. Four smoke alarms and a heat alarm in the kitchen.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »