Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Parking.

Whats the parking like where you are?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London
20-Oct-2019 22:14 Message #4759399
Im in a part of London where parking is not a problem at all but it’s getting bad in most areas and more drivers are getting ticketed.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
20-Oct-2019 22:18 Message #4759402
awful this road has hardly any parking for visitors once all the neighbours are in, 3 and 4 cars per household now...…...
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
20-Oct-2019 22:22 Message #4759412
I pay my Local Authority £70 per year to park anywhere in the high street, usually no more than 30 paces from home.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
20-Oct-2019 22:22 Message #4759413
ok where i live.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex
20-Oct-2019 23:11 Message #4759434
Everywhere seems to have restricted parking around here. Pub and supermarket car parks. The streets are a nightmare finding a space.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-Oct-2019 23:56 Message #4759461
I don’t mind the council run car parks but I hate the privately run car parks.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
21-Oct-2019 00:04 Message #4759465
I'm on an old gimmers estate so plenty of parking, though as far as I can see the ones who are still fit enough to move only have one car each, everyone else seems to travel by ambulance or walk :-)
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
21-Oct-2019 00:35 Message #4759471
So bad the LA has started issuing residents parking permits.
Female
Mary  Female  Norfolk
21-Oct-2019 03:12 Message #4759480
Thankfully I have no issues with parking. Main because I have my own car parking area which holds 25 vehicles....being increased to 35 soon.

I couldn't live in a house without off street parking.
Parking can cause so many issues.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
21-Oct-2019 06:21 Message #4759489
Do you have 25 vehicles?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
21-Oct-2019 12:16 Message #4759575
Was fine 15 years ago but a lot of people have 2 cars now, plus I have a row of shops on main road just yards from me so they use my street to park on.

I have actually fallen out with a neighbour over parking as she seemed to think she owns the road outside her house...REDICULOUS !!!

I initially was promised off road parking by the builder when my property was built, but Being greedy he decided to squeeze another house in. Now it's on a first come first served basis.
Female
Mary  Female  Norfolk
21-Oct-2019 16:13 Message #4759610
"Do you have 25 vehicles?"

No, probably just 9 or so.

But I need parking for my open days etc.
Female
Mary  Female  Norfolk
21-Oct-2019 16:16 Message #4759612
A big problem these days is that modern housing estates do not allow for sufficient parking. Shared surfaces look good but are impractical.

I realise the government plan is to reduce car usage, but it's never going to happen.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
21-Oct-2019 18:48 Message #4759655
I'm lucky we have plenty of off road parking at the house, further up the road by the shops people park all over the place and its amazing there've not been bad accidents, whats worse is there are two free carparks about 10 yards away.

Some parts of the island have a shortage of car parks, last week I went to another part of the island where theres few legal parking places only to find the biggest one, right next to a GP's and the shops was closed because someone had decided to host a funfair there.

Our car parks are really cheap compared to many of those back east, its not so much the council run ones that I object to as they're generally cheap and well maintained, but there's a large estate that owns a lot of this part of the island, including access to many popular beaches and archaeologial sites, they charge far more than the council and do no maintainance, many of thier carparks resemble to surface of the moon. I don't think people would object to paying to park if they were kept in good repair and had some facilities, like toilets, but they don't and they get away with it.

Male
The Dim Reaper  Male  Devon
21-Oct-2019 19:11 Message #4759663
No problem parking where I am , I just park my car in my garage .
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
21-Oct-2019 20:02 Message #4759669
I'm okay here as there are a couple of lay bys close by. Garages are allocated first come first served so you may get one of the other side of town so I haven't bothered even though there is a lock of garages right by me.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
21-Oct-2019 22:34 Message #4759719
I have to park in numerous towns and cites where I don’t know the areas and have to find parking spaces. Sometimes it is very difficulty and some of the signage leaves a lot to be desired.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
22-Jun-2020 07:52 Message #4784389
During the crisis parking everywhere has been easy as so few cars are on the roads.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-Jun-2020 14:00 Message #4784432
Plenty of parking here - tractor, quadbike,diggers, 5 cars, few trailers, horse carts etc. Not much space in the lane though - dustman cant get down here cos he cant reverse all tha tway up thru the wood.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
22-Jun-2020 14:23 Message #4784434
I was shocked today when i visited the hospital i parked i my usual way and made my way into the front entry where i saw a sign that said "car parking was free for blue badge holders" when i inquired inside about it as i thought it was something set up during the lockdown but apparently it only came in to force today 22nd June 2020, well there you go somethings do change :)

Andy Mac
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
22-Jun-2020 23:12 Message #4784498
Parking here has never been a problem. If you leave your car too long someone will nick it lol.
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon
23-Jun-2020 08:07 Message #4784514
Most houses near me do not have drives so the cars park overnight blocking the pavements on both sides. No a lot of my neighbours are not at work the cars are blocking the paths all day as well. It means taking my wheelchair into the road several times between my house and the nearest shops.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
23-Jun-2020 18:19 Message #4784566
Thats not very nice for you kallone. I do a lot of wheelchair pushing and it can be difficult to get around cars and up and down kerbs so I know how hard it is to do it without assistance. Housing and many roads and paths have been around long before there were so many cars looking for parking spaces.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
25-Jun-2020 08:38 Message #4784708
I live in a cul de sac with no restrictions but it's too far from the town or any shops to attract parked vehicles from out of the immediate area.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
25-Jun-2020 09:45 Message #4784716
I'm lucky in that the cul-de-sac I'm in all the houses have at least 2 parking spaces either 1 or 2 in front of the garage and/or another in a shared area. So there is really only 1 on-road parking space after the kerb drops.
But a couple of years ago, because of new restrictions in adjoining areas and when they opened pedestrian access through a new estate (duh! well done planners), it pushed all the parking from a nearby out of town University campus & commuters who then had access through, to park in my road and on virtually every foot of adjoining roads too. And as news went round about free on street parking it quickly got ridiculous and dangerous too.
It took a while, but after a campaign, the council put in double yellows to protect all the junctions and a time banded 10am to 2pm Mon-Fri residents parking zone was adopted.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations