Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Maps and

map reading

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
17-Oct-2019 21:01 Message #4758819
I'm a bit of a map buff, crap at it but just love looking at maps - mainly of the British Isles more so than the rest of the world (I'm biaised because I can imagine these places) so,

You ever made a daft mistake when reading one? like heading south instead of north or some such, yes, I've done that, ended up in Wales when intending to go to Lincolnshire!

Do you have any humourous, humer, hum....funny stories you'd feel able to tell us?
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
17-Oct-2019 21:14 Message #4758825
I like maps too terry and I still browse through my atlas although I use google and tomtom for travelling.

Many years ago I was as heading north from London and spaghetti junction had just been built at Birmingham. It was very confusing and as I drive along the motorway I had no idea if I was heading north or south until I saw the road sign and luckily I was going the right way.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
17-Oct-2019 22:50 Message #4758840
I've always liked maps, Atlas's and things like that...

looking at the places that you are going to go....the places you have been...the roads you have been down...the place names.....Do you find that there's always somewhere where you are wanting to look.....and it's in the crease of the pages....distorting it.....sometimes you get a 'proper' one on another page....Oh the delight....
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
18-Oct-2019 06:41 Message #4758848
I sometimes peruse through maps of the world. I have a globe which often fascinates visitors when they realise a country isn’t where they thought it was.
The recent troubles in Turkey which is a place that many see as close to us, European and good for holidays and yet is sits right in the war zone along with Syria, Iraq, Iran.

If you were sent to Wetwang would you have a struggle to find it?
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
18-Oct-2019 06:48 Message #4758851
Been through there! Was always mildly amused by that name as most of my programming career was programming Wang computers. Rumour had it that Wang called their support department Wang Care in the US. ;-)
Male
18-Oct-2019 07:02 Message #4758853
I'm not sure how many Wetwang's there are....but the one I know of is the Yorkshire one, that used to be mentioned by Richard Whiteley on Countdown....He was made honorary Mayor of Wetwang....

I've never been there...but the name has stuck with me.....I was a big fan of Countdown in the 'Whiteley' days...
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire
18-Oct-2019 09:12 Message #4758860
I learned map reading in the Army Cadets at boarding school and progressed to be a teacher of such (in the cadets) - no doubt they have changed somewhat since then (talking Ordnance Survey maps).

Just before the advent of the ubiquitous SatNav I worked for Siemens, at one stage repairing ATMs around the North West, and at other times installing EPOS equipment anywhere on the mainland of Great Britain.

In the former job I had a swathe of street maps, in the latter a good (and large) book of routes to get me from town to town.

I used to love driving in those days but would hate to have to do those jobs now.

Jason.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire
18-Oct-2019 11:03 Message #4758865
@Tumbleweed - A little story about Wetwang - it's a small village of about 800 people high in the Wolds and after many places had been flooded a few years back, residents in Wetwang were having difficulty getting house insurance because of the name. although its over a thousand feet above sea level. Crazy!

Paul Hudson the local TV weatherman in now 'Mayor of Wetwang' since the death of Richard Whiteley.

To answer the OP, yes I too love maps both paper and online. I went for a virtual walk around Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Island on Google the other day looking at the lovely houses. Also many other places like Greenland and parts pf South America I am never likely to go to.
OS maps used to fascinate me as a child with all the little symbols.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
18-Oct-2019 11:26 Message #4758868
I have always loved maps. As a child, one of my most prized possessions was a large scale walking map of the area that we used to go on summer holiday to West Bay in Dorset in our caravan. I used to spend hours, planning adventures and expeditions.

I still love maps and one of the joys of planning a holiday is tracking down the right maps for the trip to see where I am going. I have a fine collection of trekking maps for both the Himalaya and the Andes. Alas, my high altitude days are over, I fear. I no longer have the physicality for it.

I'm not much of a fan of my tom tom. I spend a lot of my time telling Sean of the delicious Irish accent to shut up and mind his own business. I ignore him most of the time. I wouldn't dream of making any long distance trip without checking my route on the map first and once it is fixed in my head, I can tell instantly when Sean is telling me porky pies.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
18-Oct-2019 11:27 Message #4758869
I like old maps, new ones are good too, but I like to see how places have changed, new settlements appear and old ones disappear. I can do basic map reading, go on that road, turn off and that junction and head towards... but I guess thats more route planing than map reading. I couldn't do all that stuff with compasses and maps, degrees and angles all that stuff is way over my head.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
18-Oct-2019 15:33 Message #4758908
Talking of the OS, something I've always wanted to do, and may sometime in the future get the chance, is to visit the OS in, Southampton I think it is? apparently they have a museum there dedicated to maps and mapping?

I was partly hoping tumbleweed might tell us a bit about his experiences on board ship, perhaps a bit about the night shifts and the stars when out in the middle of the ocean....well worth having a natter over a pie and a pint.
Male
18-Oct-2019 15:54 Message #4758912
Crikey...my ship days are long gone...but the maps ( charts ) we used to use were an everyday thing...Plotting courses....Finding our position from the Sun and the Stars...using a sextant....

Daytime we would do a sun sight...finding a position line.....then at noon ( which isn't 12 o'clock necessarily ), doing a noon sight...getting our actual position.....

Then in the evening...at twilight.....the star sights.....twilight being when you could see the stars and the horizon at the same time....for getting the correct sextant reading....

Going back to the 'noon' comment....there was a way we worked out when noon was going to be...the time when the sun was at it's highest....It was also a way we worked out whether to pus the clocks back or forward....for example, if we worked out that noon was going to be at 13:20 for instance...then we would decide to put the clocks back an hour that night...so the next day it would be nearer 12:00....We only used to put the clocks forward or back an hour or half an hour sometimes.....

Talking of clocks.....they are coming up soon....
Male
Toxophilite  Male  Leicestershire
18-Oct-2019 20:48 Message #4758955
This is a very interesting resource if you want to know how places have changed over the years: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layers=1&right=BingHyb
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire
18-Oct-2019 23:17 Message #4758969
I like maps too and can generally find my way around places if I have a map. Absolutely hopeless otherwise. No sense of direction at all. Or is that just no sense? ??

Male
19-Oct-2019 06:33 Message #4758981
Nellieredshoes. Do you want an answer or shall we be kind ;)
Female
19-Oct-2019 10:27 Message #4759000
Kindness always please, mr quiet but why can’t it be both? ,o )
Male
19-Oct-2019 14:20 Message #4759029
Of course nellieredshoes. Who could possibly be unkind to you. :)
Male
Brundall  Male  Lincolnshire
19-Oct-2019 19:23 Message #4759070
I was always good at map reading has we used to do treasure hunts and indoor rallies so you had to find where you where going and clock in on time or you lost points.
When doing my Nation Slavery for 2 years I had to map read and that's difficult when you are on the moors at Otterburn in Northumberland
I had to get exactly the right place before survey the guns into position to each other and then live firing 5.5inch shells it sure makes a noise when they are going 8 ore 9 miles also makes quite a big hole, never know if any one got hurt but we where never short of fresh lamb which roamed free on the moors
Female
19-Oct-2019 20:06 Message #4759080
Unfortunately it’s easy to be unkind to anyone, MrQuiet.

It’s my mission to encourage us all to be kinder to each other x
Male
19-Oct-2019 22:33 Message #4759125
It’s my mission to encourage us all to be kinder to each other

Now if only 50% of humanity thought that way ..........
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
22-Jun-2020 07:54 Message #4784390
Orienteering.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
22-Jun-2020 09:39 Message #4784399
We get a lot of small groups of youths orienteering in this area. Duke of Edinburgh scheme I think.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
22-Jun-2020 13:03 Message #4784421
Orienteering. Is that when small groups of teens with backpacks wander around lost and sit by the roadside a lot.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
24-Jun-2020 08:56 Message #4784612
I, m rubbish at maps, I get on the wrong bus, train and even walking go the wrong way, lol
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
24-Jun-2020 21:20 Message #4784676
Euro,

I use Google Maps to tell me where to get off the bus going into Manchester. Well, the centre is easy enough but Whitworth Art Gallery or when I was on a nurse training at MRI I had no idea.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations