Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I don't think I've ever read.....

a Booker winner..

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 15-Oct-2019 19:32 Message #4758420
I don't think I've ever read a Booker prize winning book...or even a nominated one..

The latest prize has just been given....Joint winners....

I usually read 'lesser' books...I'm not sure what the criteria is for books to be nominated even...

Have you read any?....Have you read them before the nominations?....Do you make a point of reading them after they have been nominated?....or just the winner perhaps?....

I noticed in the list of nominations over the years that some authors are in there quite a few times....Salman Rushdie was in there again this time....and Margaret Atwood, one of this years winners, has won before..
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 15-Oct-2019 20:46 Message #4758439
Must admit to not knowing whether I have or haven't tumbleweed, apart from when it's on the news I never know when the Booker Prize is happening. If I have read one, it'd be after the prizegiving because for the last ten or fifteen years I've always bought books from a charity shop, the only new ones I've bought were for the grandkids and I doubt they would have even been on the lists.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 15-Oct-2019 20:59 Message #4758451
Yes, I read "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga before it won the Booker prize in 2008
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Oct-2019 10:24 Message #4758540
If Wolf Hall won it then I have, but if it didn't then I haven't, I usually equate anything called literature with unreadably boring.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 16-Oct-2019 10:39 Message #4758546
Many years ago I read Hotel du Lac .. can't even remember who wrote it (Anita … ??)

I'm a bit of a trashy reader … I like to pick up a book and get right into it without having to think too deeply.
If I find the style difficult to engage with, I'll ditch it rather than persevere.

A couple of years ago, a friend was reading a book on our way to Madeira. She kept laughing out loud at what was written so I accepted the offer of the book for later reading. When I finally got round to looking at it, I managed about 4 chapters before I abandoned it. I just wanted to slap the main character!!

Each to their own, I suppose
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 16-Oct-2019 10:43 Message #4758548
I often find highly acclaimed books difficult to read. I think many such books need you to sit down and have a good long session rather than popping back and forth from chapter to chapter.
The Satanic Verses was one such book.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Oct-2019 11:10 Message #4758557
I pretty much always read in big chunks and not small ones.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 19-Oct-2019 10:45 Message #4759003
I thought more would have read some Booker books....

Maybe we are all more 'Richard and Judy Book Club' types.....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 19-Oct-2019 13:43 Message #4759018
I read history and crime fiction best is historical crime fiction, I can't do family saga type things, I don't relate to a lot of modern fiction about lives that don't intersect with mine, I think 'why am I reading this? Its like a magazine article that I read the first paragraph of and move on'. Another thing I find difficult is romatic fiction, not being in any way romantic in real life, its something I don't understand in fiction and find myself almost shouting at the book, 'why would you do that you stupid cow?'. Bad sex scenes I find hard to read, many bad authors seem to use sex as a way of ending an awkward chapter.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »