Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The 'My Groups'

bit

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Oct-2019 08:45 Message #4757050
Have you ever looked in here? the My Groups tab. I joined a couple of them some time ago, even then the last thread or post was a long time previously but I thought, what the heck, give it a go.
Possibly as can be expected there was nothing came of it, however, had a look this morning and there are a few groups started very recently, so some people are using them. I wondered about setting up a book club group....
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 9-Oct-2019 10:07 Message #4757059
TBH- as the My Groups option used to be reserved for "Essentials" paid-up members only I never went in there.
So, now you've mentioned it, it was a surprise to see that some groups exist and that some have a few members.
I'd say go for the Book Club Group and put something out regularly on the Common Room to remind people to join it.
Female
Mary  Female  Norfolk 9-Oct-2019 10:28 Message #4757060
I haven't ventured into the Group's section.

Is there any point in having groups within a group ?

One can post a thread if they wish to chat about pets or books etc.

Only my thoughts
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Oct-2019 20:37 Message #4757132
Valid point Mary, and if I remember correctly that was mentioned when they were first talked about. For me, there is a choice (I think) of making a group private or public, but the main benefit would be it allows more time and space to discuss one subject. Threads and postings on main boards give very little time or space for such before the conversation has moved on.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 9-Oct-2019 21:56 Message #4757143
Pros and cons but a private group with one interest would be good if the group had enough members.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 10-Oct-2019 10:20 Message #4757212
Mary 9-Oct-2019 10:28
Is there any point in having groups within a group ?

Yes,
The whole point of having a dedicated group is that doesn't occur.
Members of the group can pop in there, read and contribute to a thread topic, safe in the knowledge that people that aren't members of the group won't mess it up (hopefully).
As we see so often in threads started on general forums e.g. The Common Room, where because they're there for all to see on the front page, they can quickly become hijacked and end up being about anything other than what the OP had intended.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »