Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Book suggestions

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Oct-2019 00:09 Message #4757028
Just finished reading Mary Webb's 'The Precious Bane'

Took a fair few pages to get into it but the story eventually grabbed my interest. Her descriptions of the nature of the places were excellent, of the people, was fair and the story itself had a few twists and turns and then the ending....well, I'll let readers make their own minds up about that.

So, on my bookshelf I have a few of the Dragonflight series of books - Anne McCafferey, a few by Jane Austin, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Trouble is, after the Mary Webb book I'm a bit 'classicaly' done in, I might go for the Dragonflight's but not sure, so wondering what to go for now?
Anyone have any suggestions?....and preferably nothing factual.

If anyone else would care to comment about a book they've recently read, please do.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 9-Oct-2019 08:19 Message #4757048
I was given a copy of 2666 by Roberto Bolaño which I haven’t read yet but it looks good.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Oct-2019 10:34 Message #4757061
You could try The Belgariad, by David Eddings, that sword and sorcery at its best.

Or Elizabeth Peters, Peabody series of Victorian derring do, the first is The Crocodile on the Sandbank.

You could have a go at some Kate Ellis, Wesley Peterson novels, the're gentle crime fiction with an archaeological mystery running alongside them, they're set in Devon and are picturesque, as are Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway novels and Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache novels, set in Quebec and so atmospherically written that on the hottest day of a summer a couple of years ago, I looked up and was surprised it wasn't a freezing Quebec winter.
Male
TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 9-Oct-2019 23:26 Message #4757174
Two good books.

Number The Stars by Lois Lowry.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Oct-2019 23:39 Message #4757176
Thank you for those suggestions, I'll check them out, they all sound interesting books I wouldn't usually look at from the titles...this is why it's good to ask what others think.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Oct-2019 00:00 Message #4757180
What kind of book do you like to read, Terry?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Oct-2019 08:51 Message #4757197
Easier to say what I don't like Minnie. I'm not good with academic stuff, political stuff - factual or fictional, come to think of it, I'm not good with factual full stop. I think like many people, we don't know 'till we've read it. Below is a small list of books I enjoyed:

Steppenwolf Hermann Hesse
The Glass Bead Game Hermann Hesse
I, Robot Isaac Asimov
Dragonflight series Anne McCaffarey
Mayor of Casterbridge Thomas Hardy

There are obviously many more, they were the first to spring to mind, how about you Minnie, or anyone else care to put a short list up?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 10-Oct-2019 19:48 Message #4757316
Have you read Asimov's Foundation series yet? Or The Caves of Steel and sequels, starring R Daneel Olivaw? The initial R stands for Robot.

I can also recommend Anne Macaffery's Killashandra series (3 books) starting with The Chrystal Singer.

I quite like The Alphabet series by Sue Grafton. A is for Alibi through to Y is for Yesterday. She died before completing Z. The heroine, Kinsey Millhone, is an ex-cop PI. The series is set in the 1980s so no mobile phones, or Google to help her solve the mysteries.

If you fancy something to get your teeth into and have strong arms try the Shardlake series by C J Sansom. These are historical novels set in the reign of Henry V111 and just after.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Oct-2019 22:19 Message #4757354
I loved Issac Asimov's books but not recently.

I'll add a revisit to my list.

Unfortunately, my current one is The Obesity Code do not a light read. Good job it's an audio book.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Oct-2019 22:24 Message #4757359
Good point JustLyn, I'd forgotten about audio books, think there are some of them hidden away in a box somewhere so will have to dig them out. Thanks.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »