Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Journalists

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-Oct-2019 17:35 Message #4756891
Are journalists too often the feckless rogues they are painted as? Should journalists who print lies be prosecuted?
How can journalism be improved?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Oct-2019 18:47 Message #4756913
I think less gutter press would improve things, a lot of the stories are rubbish, there was one in the Express last week about Strictly, when we watched it what had been said was a load of rubbish. A lot of so called public interest stories are just plain nasty and scurillous, in what way was it in the public interest to out some ex sportsman as being HIV positive? Its legitimate public interest if theres something criminal or hypocritical about someone holding high office or other position of influence over the lives and beliefs of ordinary folk, but most of its just playing to people most base nature.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Oct-2019 19:50 Message #4756924
I agree wonderoushen the media has very little to do with news.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Oct-2019 20:48 Message #4757133
I'm guessing it will depend if what a journalist writes matches what you want to read or not? unfortunately when people simply write what is said, done, or seen very few people read it, we like it made interesting - whatever that might be.

The question about journalists does however open a discussion about communication, and how easy it is to misunderstand; journalists are supposed to be skilled at that but I think the reality is very few are. Should journalists who print lies be prosecuted? I don't know much about law, would it/does it come under civil law? personally I think it should come under criminal law, that'd make them think twice about what they write?
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 9-Oct-2019 21:59 Message #4757145
Journalists on popular news media have a tremendous influence on so many aspects of our lives and should be answerable for behaving irresponsibly or dishonestly.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 9-Oct-2019 22:20 Message #4757161
There is too much cheap and lazy journalism these days, copy and paste from social media and it's job done.
I wonder what they would do without twitter...
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Oct-2019 06:19 Message #4757185
So-called investigative journalists can be intrusive, dishonest, bullying and complete scumbags at times. The public and police are often loathe to say or do anything in case it gets filmed, twisted and used against them.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Oct-2019 08:18 Message #4757193
Most media quote recent research but do not question the confusing impact on the listeners or readers. This suits them because their aim is to attract attention by controversy and create a stir.
Latest "evidence" is not questioned or fact checked.
So we have people stopping taking their medication based on latest media hype.
Statins
HRT
Measles jabs
and more recently, eating excessive meat is not harmful.
Not forgetting the Corbyn stuff if in the Daily Mail.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 10-Oct-2019 09:02 Message #4757202
Yes do get a mention of Corbyn haha.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Oct-2019 09:09 Message #4757204
Appreciate your humour Neros but I bet if I asked Lyn what the weather was like she would mention Corbyn in the reply.

On another thread the question was asked Will we see a united Ireland? Will Brexit make this more likely? and Lyn immediately mentioned Corbyn LOLOL.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 10-Oct-2019 09:10 Message #4757205
My post was genuine humour and hope it was seen that way.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Oct-2019 09:28 Message #4757207
Nero,

I took it in good humour as indeed my comment was intended. I added as a mischief, knowing someone could not resist putting it down.

HotOrWot, like some others, overestimates who I comment on in a method of trying to devalue the opinion of another. It is a classic bullying technique that is subtle and an attempt to belittle or quieten someone.

I have started plenty of threads nothing to do with Corbyn (since HotOrWot initiated this).

Also, if Corbyn is connected to something positive that people keep trying to ignore I will happily refer to it as conversations are discussing perspectives, not all beating the same drum.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Oct-2019 15:31 Message #4757254
I took it in good humour as indeed my comment was intended. I added as a mischief, knowing someone could not resist putting it down.

Well said. It is so difficult to interpret the written words on here.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »