Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Gifts

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-Oct-2019 17:33 Message #4756889
Do you have trouble choosing gifts? Are you difficult to buy for?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Oct-2019 18:48 Message #4756914
Some people are just difficult to buy for, I'm often told I'm difficult to buy for.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Oct-2019 19:45 Message #4756922
People have more possessions these days so it’s difficult to buy something at a reasonable “gift” price which they actually need.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 8-Oct-2019 21:55 Message #4756974
My elder daughter and I were discussing this when her birthday came around. She said that we were both in the happy position of being able to buy anything we needed, after years of poverty, so gifting was difficult as neither of us are of the mindset to give or appreciate a dust-gatherer.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Oct-2019 22:09 Message #4756984
You didn’t want a Hoover then Aely ? :)
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Oct-2019 22:13 Message #4756987
I'm rubbish at choosing gifts, my ex. even cited one of them I'd bought her in our divorce papers. Am I difficult to buy for? nope, a packet of cigs does me every time.

But no one ever gets me them.
Male
Goody2shoes  Male  South Yorkshire 8-Oct-2019 23:25 Message #4757010
You got to tell us what the gift was?

Men will need this info for future reference.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 8-Oct-2019 23:35 Message #4757016
I buy practical gifts. I’m not very good at the decorative ornamental stuff.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 8-Oct-2019 23:51 Message #4757023
I am not very good at buying presents for other people.
How I admire my friend who ALWAYS has just the right, very interesting present for me. Like a very pretty glass tea pot/ glass with a glass strainer and lid ! My brother gave me 5 packets of very interesting blends of loose teas in a pretty tin.
I was also very surprised to receive a pretty tin with scented tealight candles from a male friend. the box has always some candles in it and I light one every evening.

leogirl.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Oct-2019 10:50 Message #4757065
My mums difficult to buy for, she's 85 and dosen't need much, she's got a drawer full of scarfs, she could open her own jewelery shop with amount of mostly unworn jewelery she has, every xmas and birthday we just hope theres a new book by one of her favourite authors.

Some people make buying gifts hard, Manthing goes out and buys what he needs right before xmas and birthdays and then tells us he wants things he can't have, like a sports car and not a model or a gift card for the car boot sale.

I get fed up when people ask me what I want, I tell them, something quite reasonable, like earings or a book and they say 'you don't want that, you want....' or 'I'm not buying you that' 'I'm not buying stuff from that girly website'. What the point of asking me what I want if they've no intention of listening to me, why not save us all the agro and just buy something that I can slip into a charity shop at a later date. I'm probably also hard to buy for as most of the time I can't think of anythig I want.
Female
Mary  Female  Norfolk 9-Oct-2019 11:00 Message #4757068
I'm hopeless at buying and suggesting gifts.

As had been said, we tend to have too many possessions these days.

I'm not materialistic. But I do like nice things.

Christmas is coming. I'm all for not buying presents at this time. It's just commercial.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »