Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The (not so)

humble cookie

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 7-Oct-2019 23:36 Message #4756801
What do you think of them? not the ones you eat obviously, but those horrible little leeches our world wide web has bred and spreads...Myself, I can see reasons for and against, wondered what anyone else thought?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Oct-2019 06:08 Message #4756821
I’m not techie but I think it’s possible to be selective about your cookies if you are. They are necessary for the smooth operation of the internet and most users are blissfully unaware of their existence.
They are intrusive if you like your privacy and can have some annoying traits with their “remembering” abilities.

Someone who is techie will come along and explain my mistakes LOLOL.

I much prefer the ones you eat.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 8-Oct-2019 08:48 Message #4756831
They worry me but how many of us understand them.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 8-Oct-2019 09:55 Message #4756835
The (not so)
humble cookie

Put simply = cookies are small files - usually plain text - that sites use to track what that particular site has downloaded to your device. They can be cleared after each visit or each time you close your web browser. Some sites will not function without cookies, some will but look a bit strange and some will work without any problem at all.

Cookies are there as much for your convenience as much as anything else. They contain data that, for instance, lets the site know what your preferences for this site are, what you last looked at, what ID you used for this site, etc., etc..

The biggest security threat with cookies is connected to their use by 'third party sites'. Many sites send ads (frequently third-party) along with their own data, these ads nearly always use some data in the cookies to identify themselves and their 'owners'. So far so good, what may be a problem is that if another site you visit also uses ads from the same third-party site then the data stored by the first site in it's cookies MAY be available to the second site. As the cookie may have stored some personal data then this is a potential security issue.

A lot of this problem can be eliminated by your cookie settings PLUS not visiting suspect sites on the Internet. It's the 'third-party' cookie settings that are important.

[a bit simplistic but accurate for most situations]
SQL
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Oct-2019 11:30 Message #4756849
I've no idea what they are or what they do, I used to have a cookie cleaner, but Manthing had a big hissy fit when I tried to install it on a different computer and said it was bad, but then he had an equal hissy fit about adblock and said it was a virus, but I installed it anyway.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 8-Oct-2019 13:02 Message #4756863
Most sites , if not visited before now request that you verify your acceptance to cookies.
It only takes a few seconds to select deny all (which includes all the sites "partners" that will then have you tagged. Although I guess most people don't bother as it's easier just to click on accept/
However if using Google Chrome as your browser of choice you can go "incognito"
On the chrome page (i.e. where you'd type in your search) if you look on the far right hand side of the top line you will see three vertical dots. If you click on that the 3rd option down is "New Incognito window" if you click on that the search screen will be the same but in black and it will say the following:-
You’ve gone incognito
Now you can browse privately, and other people who use this device won’t see your activity.
However, downloads and bookmarks will be saved.
Chrome won’t save the following information:
Your browsing history, Cookies and site data, Information entered in forms
Your activity might still be visible to:Websites you visit, Your employer or school, Your internet service provider

So it's not a foolproof method to stay off their radar, but every little helps.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 8-Oct-2019 22:00 Message #4756978
Through firefox I found a site through which you can instruct all the tracking and Ad sites not to track or target you. Unfortunately whether they comply or not is voluntary, surprise, surprise.

Space wasting parasites.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 9-Oct-2019 07:09 Message #4757043
A minefield.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »