Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is fashion a waste of time ?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 6-Oct-2019 08:37 Message #4756440
Is the latest fashion wasted on you? Have you been out to buy something which has impressed you?
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 6-Oct-2019 08:50 Message #4756443
I don’t have many vices other than a love of new clothes. I do like a lot of the latest fashionable clothes and get great pleasure from preparing to go out somewhere nice.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Oct-2019 09:10 Message #4756447
Although I don't go out of my way to be in or out of fashion, there are fashions I've broken into such as when the mini skirt era ended 1st time round. 40 seemed a long time away. I vowed I'd never stop wearing them.

I have many items of clothing that I wear that are 20 years old but I like little and good rather than cheap disposable fashion.

One craze I couldn't take to is the latest ankle grazers that could look really elegant, but I'd just feel it looked my trousers were the wrong size as I've spent years trying to get trousers long enough with a 34in inside leg.

I love jeggings and a tunic or casual jumper but definitely not glittery bits. I'm more subtle Bohemian.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 6-Oct-2019 09:17 Message #4756451
I think fashion, like cosmetics, is a ploy to make people spend more than they need to so that a few may get rich.

The world doesn't need fashion, or most of the cosmetics that are sold, but, on the plus side, it does provide employment for many around the world even if it is a pittance of a wage in many cases.

Practical, or smart (when necessary), and natural does it for me.

Jason.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 6-Oct-2019 09:18 Message #4756453
Totally wasted on me, It's practical stuff all the way. In fact, I'm dreading the next funeral or wedding I'm invited to (luckily I'm a miserable sod so unlikely to get an invite I can't refuse) because I don't even have any 'nice' clothes.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Oct-2019 11:20 Message #4756484
You and me both Terry, fashion goes over my head because none of it ever fits me anyway, I mostly wear what fits as I have a choice of that or nothing. Amazingly I bought a pair of walking boots last week they were only the second pair I tried on, in the first shop I went to and they were half price and so affordable. I've been in tears before trying to buy shoes, having to wear sandals in cold wet weather or winter boots in summer and not being able to get anything in my size or that fits. Clothes are the same, its better in summer as I can usually find linen trousers that are long enough, but in winter its jogging bottoms and other exercise wear, I dread M&S deciding they're not going to do longer length trousers anymore, because then I really will be stuffed. I think my inability to find the right clothes feeds into my social phobia, but the good thing is that I can get out of social occaisions like weddings, which I hate.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Oct-2019 15:11 Message #4756530
I might be more interested in fashion if I had any money but most of the fashionable clothes I have came from charity shops.
We all follow fashions to some extent otherwise I would be posing in furry boots and fishnet tights and many of the guys here would be wearing wide flappy flares and flowery shits while tottering on thick soled or Cuban heeled boots.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Oct-2019 15:18 Message #4756533
Not sure if flowery shits is a good thing or a bad thing.....a better fragrance maybe...
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 6-Oct-2019 15:41 Message #4756538
Ha ha .flowery shits lol .love the typo raach .i love clothes .ive got my own style .my girls are always pinchin me clothes .
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Oct-2019 18:05 Message #4756555
lovely pic Joolsy.

I used to be a 'follower of fashion'but prefer to wear what suits me and create my own style. Mind you, nowadays its jeans, leggings and more jeans. Has to suit farm life. Himself is always in jeans - but he looks good in them anyway.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 6-Oct-2019 18:11 Message #4756557
Thank you victoria .i loves me tatty levis think they are 20 yrs old .now .just pull them on with me boots and t shirt and im ready to go lol .
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 6-Oct-2019 21:01 Message #4756588
I’m a flappy flare and flowery shits kinda guy :0)
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 6-Oct-2019 21:19 Message #4756591
Went for some of the fashionable stuff in my youth but no more...I wear what I want.

Long gone are the Ben Sherman shits ;-), platform shoes, tonic / two tone trousers
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 6-Oct-2019 22:07 Message #4756597
You guys sound wonderful examples of fashion icons.

Male
SQL  Male  Devon 6-Oct-2019 22:12 Message #4756601
"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." — Oscar Wilde

SQL
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 7-Oct-2019 06:32 Message #4756615
You guys sound wonderful examples of fashion icons

All the clothes were fashionable once.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Oct-2019 06:30 Message #4757188
Ardently following the latest fashions is something which has never been of interest to me but I wouldn’t dismiss fashion completely. I have bought many items of clothing which were fashionable at the time and I’ve bought them thinking “yes I like that a lot” as it appeared on the market.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Oct-2019 08:34 Message #4757195
I'm definitely getting old! I forgot a saying our old music teacher used to say "Fashion is something you set, not something you follow".
Looking back now, I quite like the fact that of all the teachers at that school, I remember him and very few others.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 10-Oct-2019 17:11 Message #4757271
I am not what you call a dedicated follower of fashion. I know what colours I like and suit me, so would not think, I must buy something in orange for example, as the 'in colour' that year or whichever year it might be? I kind of have my own style and like to look nice in my own way. It can't be that bad, as my daughters in the past have borrowed the odd item from me. In fact my eldest daughter borrowed a buttonless, sleeveless, blouse of mine, to wear under her graduation robe. She also borrowed a pair of my shoes. A few years ago now, but there is no way I would ever have borrowed anything from my own mother.
Male
TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 10-Oct-2019 17:43 Message #4757276
So. Are my trousers bell bottoms or flares?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Oct-2019 18:52 Message #4757299
None of mums clothes have fitted me since I was about 12!

I wouldn't buy anything orange, or lime green or acid yellow either, why do so many fashionable clothes have to be in such awful colours? I see baby poo yellow's still in fashion, so few people can wear it without looking ill. I hat it when all I want is a normal jumper or something and theres a choice of about 3 colours none of which suit me and why can't I still buy a jumper in february? We often have some of our coldest weather in February-March, but its all swimsuits and summer dresses, likewise after the end of this month the shops will be full of party clothes and no everyday ones.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »