Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Will we see a united Ireland?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 5-Oct-2019 20:53 Message #4756387
Will Brexit make this more likely?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Oct-2019 21:20 Message #4756391
It is why Corbyn is hated by the Unionists and DUP as he always supported a united Ireland. It's part of why they keep peddling the friends with IRA thing.

The trouble is, a lot of youth I suspect, are more interested in bringing back "new" IRA battles for the fun of it rather any religious mission. We can see the beginning of it now. Any excuse to bomb something or shoot someone like the young journalist recently.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 5-Oct-2019 22:05 Message #4756393
Many U.K. politicians would like to see a united Ireland but it’s more important what the Irish want. Brexit might highlight the advantages of being united. I think it’s inevitable that it will happen eventually.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Oct-2019 22:24 Message #4756394
I asked a patient from Belfast what her opinion is and she said united would make sense but I didn't ask her religion. Of course that is only one opinion, but I think a lot of work has been done to improve integration of school children.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 5-Oct-2019 23:54 Message #4756412
Many in Ireland would not want it but would accept it as the lesser of evils.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Oct-2019 05:46 Message #4756424
The trouble is, the vociferous minority are likely to rekindle the bloodbaths of the past.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 6-Oct-2019 07:39 Message #4756427
Therein lies the biggest drawback JustLyn. The extremists.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 6-Oct-2019 07:40 Message #4756428
I suspect a united Ireland is on the cards, possibly within our lifetimes too. Has to be agreeable to both sides though.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Oct-2019 11:29 Message #4756486
I agree with you Nigel, I doubt if the likes of the DUP will ever accept it though, but if there were a referendum and the majority voted to unite with Ireland then it would put the DUP in a difficult position as its quite happy to drag NI out of the EU against the will of the majority, but would it accept the reverse?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Oct-2019 11:33 Message #4756487
I didn't mean to send that right now.

Plaid Cymru are starting up a campaign for independence again, I dooubt if they'd win at the moment, but if brexit hits farming hard then I think they could win it and we'd see a pan Celtic alliance with Ireland and Scotland. I think it would be good for England to go it alone without us, the Irish and the Scots to blame for stuff and try out regresive and nasty policies on.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Oct-2019 12:13 Message #4756495
MrQuiet,

I kind of agree, but I have a sense that a lot of the resurfacing of problems in Northern Ireland are youths who are not really concerned about the politics but want an excuse to cause conflict. I would even say it could be a comparison to how some youths in other areas of England, especially London, are entertaining themselves and having little power circles introducing knife crimes and stabbings.

I wouldn't use "extreme" necessarily as the cause in that the behaviour IS extreme, but not in the same way as you possibly allude to your view of extreme left. I would say we need something extreme to overturn the damage of the increasingly leaning extreme right too.

At the end of the day, the almost extreme right taking over at the moment is more damage to human health than even the few you might consider to be extreme left. Their methods you may not agree with economically, but they are certainly not out to starve people or cause them to think life is not worth living. We need a balance. The destination might be more important than the journey.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 6-Oct-2019 12:25 Message #4756496
Hi JustLyn. I certainly didnt mention or allude to anyone being left or right wing only that extremists want the troubles to continue. Anyone of any political persuasion who want others to be maimed or killed is an extremist in my book.
In Ireland (and London) I agree with you that it is often the youths who thrive on trouble, bullying and being free to roam about shouting the odds. I said the same thing during the “troubles” when I had quite a bit to do with Ireland and Belfast. Most people got on fine regardless of their religion or politics but extremists wanted the fight. People to die to instill fear. Power.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Oct-2019 16:36 Message #4756544
I think we are basically on the same page on this one Mr Quiet.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 6-Oct-2019 20:05 Message #4756584
I agree too. That’s three of us agreeing on one thread. Almost unheard of.

Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 7-Oct-2019 16:55 Message #4756700
Independence - especially financial independence can be a 2 edged sword.

The whole of Ireland/NI has a pop of just 6.3 million/Scotland 5.5 million/Wales 3.3 million. There are probably more Irish people living outside of Ireland than within (lack of jobs) - same broadly applies to Scotland/Wales.

Greater London's 600 sq miles has almost 10 million so has pretty much the same pop as Scotland/Wales/NI combined.

NI has a helluva lot of public sector jobs funded from Westminster so Eire would be less than keen to take on that liability in the event of moving to a United Ireland.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Oct-2019 18:56 Message #4756730
Of course it can be a double edged sword, but many feel it would be worth it, the Plaid Cymru leader has said that Wales has been asset stripped by England and has seen none of the benefits and has been left to rot. I don't entirely agree with him as most of the people who made the most money from Wales's assets were Victorians exploiting the natural resourses at the expense of the general population just as they did everywhere else in Britain. But i do think Wales has had a bad deal from Westminster since the end of coal mining, but again probably about the same as the North East of England's coal mining cities, and pretty much everywhere that had a fishing industry. What rankles with me is the Barnet Agreement where how much money the non English regions are going to get each year, some how Wales always seems to come off worst.

I think Ireland is a bit different what with the troubles and all that, Brexit has thrown a big spanner in the works too as NI voted to remain, mostly because of the guarantees from being in the EU and The Good Friday Agreement. The DUP seem so intractable on so many things, but rarely seem to get the same level of blame as Sinn Fein, I think this fuels extemism and if anyone deserves a referendum on uniting or variations on that theme its the Irish.
Male
TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 10-Oct-2019 20:00 Message #4757320
Brexit has thrown a big spanner in everyone’s works.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Oct-2019 22:37 Message #4757364
Greater London's 600 sq miles has almost 10 million so has pretty much the same pop as Scotland/Wales/NI combined.

An interesting statistic
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Oct-2019 11:13 Message #4757424
Why does population density matter in this or most other instances? I mean I see that it matter when planing for schools, hospital and sewage management, but why with NI?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 12-Oct-2019 07:08 Message #4757593
Population and finances.

Some great posts on this thread.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »